• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

‘Justice League’ hits Digital HD on February 13, according to iTunes and Amazon

Today, iTunes and Amazon both updated their Justice League listings with a release date of February 13th. That’s much more realistic than the incorrect January date, which would’ve been very early for a Digital HD release. Usually there’s about a 90 day window between the theatrical release and home video.

These digital retailers have been wrong before, but an official announcement from Warner Bros. should be coming sometime in the next two weeks.

It looks like JL came up with an additional $716K, which still keeps it far from the assumed additional $19.9M needed just to break even ($675M).

ntOVdm0.png

We'll see how crafty WB gets with the blu-ray/dvd/digital release.

Edited by Bosco685

‘Justice League’ Blu-ray announcement trailer teases new Superman scenes

Warner Bros. has finally announced the Justice League Blu-ray. It’s coming on March 13th, and as expected, will contain bonus scenes (yes, plural). In the official trailer above you can see one of those scenes teased briefly, and it involves Henry Cavill’s Superman!

Burbank, CA, January 18, 2018 – Warner Bros. Pictures’ and DC Entertainment’s epic action adventure “Justice League” is arriving in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-Ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Digital. Directed by Zack Snyder, the film stars the famed lineup of DC Super Heroes: Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ezra Miller as The Flash, Jason Momoa as Aquaman, and Ray Fisher as Cyborg.

“Justice League” will be available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $44.95, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99 and DVD for $28.98. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack features an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the theatrical version in 4K HDR and a Blu-ray disc also featuring the theatrical version. The Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D high definition and high definition; the Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in high definition on Blu-ray; and the DVD features the theatrical version in standard definition. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack will include a digital version of the movie. Fans can also own “Justice League” via purchase from digital retailers beginning February 13, 2018.

4K Ultra HD showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc of “Justice League” will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range, and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame.

Also, the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D discs of “Justice League” will feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Additionally, all the special features, including interviews with filmmakers and featurettes, can be experienced in an entirely new, dynamic and immersive manner on tablets and mobile phones using the Warner Bros. Movies All Access App, available for both iOS and Android devices. When a Combo Pack is purchased and the digital movie is redeemed, or the digital movie is purchased from an UltraViolet retailer, the Warner Bros. Movies All Access App allows users to watch the movie and simultaneously experience synchronized content related to any scene simply by rotating their device. Synchronized content is presented on the same screen while the movie is playing, thus enabling users to quickly learn more about any scene, such as actor biographies, scene locations, fun trivia or image galleries. Also, users can share movie clips with friends on social media and experience other immersive content. The Movies All Access app is available for download on the iTunes App Store and Google Play Store.

“Justice League” will also be available on Movies Anywhere. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can access all their eligible movies by connecting their Movies Anywhere account with their participating digital retailer accounts.

Edited by Bosco685

Mark Hughes from Forbes.com delves into why general audiences didn't take to Batman v Superman and then Justice League. Quite the long article, but with some good points. And he is someone that appreciated these movies.

What Zack Snyder's DCEU Was Really All About, And Why So Many People Rejected It

Superman was the main issue, in terms of the disconnect between audience preconceptions and the DCEU portrayal. Man of Steel certainly re-imagined many of our general expectations, such as Pa Kent's approach to teaching his son how to restrain his use of powers (one of my own primary complaints about the film), and Superman killing Zod at the end. However, overall the movie managed to walk the line between meeting our foundational expectations for Superman's character and personality while challenging our impression of the world in which he would exist. That was, of course, the whole point of the story, to challenge those ideas and instead ask how the world would really react to the arrival of a superhuman alien in our midst.

In Batman v Superman, however, the continuation of that deconstruction of the character and (more importantly) his place in our world took several further steps toward significant change and upending our expectations, and that's where I think it met with serious resistance and complaints from so many people. Much of the story's approach required not merely expanding and accelerating the extent of society's questioning of Superman, but also showing him reacting in ways that undermined traditional portrayals and expectations of him in the process. First society questioned him, then he began to question himself, and finally he began to doubt society. It was a deconstruction within a deconstruction, so to speak. And this was a very difficult and dark journey, and it presented Superman in a way contrary to the most popular iterations in comics, films, and TV.

Batman v Superman's Caped Crusader lacks that underlying optimism and hope -- which is, of course, the entire point, that Batman HAS crossed a line and become the bad guy in this tale even though he didn't realize it until confronted with Superman's humanity and his own inhumanity in that singular moment as he stood over Superman's helpless body and was reminded of himself as a little boy helpless to save his own mother and praying someone would save him and save his dying parents.

Likewise, during the fight Superman stops even attempting to talk to Batman or explain anything, and it becomes a pure violent expression of their mutual contempt and distrust, with Batman representing (in Superman's eyes) all of the cynicism and unfairness and cruelty of a world without hope, and with Superman representing (in Batman's eyes) all of the failure and fear and meaninglessness in the pursuit of humanity to improve itself and do anything meaningful (and of course, Batman's own specific failures in a world where hopelessness and failure and loss and the triumph of evil are around every corner).

Both men, though, have a moment of clarity and epiphany -- Batman realizes Superman's own humanity when he sees him as son begging for his mother's life, his final words a plea to his enemy (Batman) to save his mother. That her name is Martha is often mocked, but obviously (if we are trying to be honest and serious about the issue) the point wasn't merely that their moms had the same name, it's that this crystallized for Batman his ability to perceive himself in Superman and to relate completely to Superman's situation.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Mark Hughes from Forbes.com delves into why general audiences didn't take to Batman v Superman and then Justice League. Quite the long article, but with some good points. And he is someone that appreciated these movies.

What Zack Snyder's DCEU Was Really All About, And Why So Many People Rejected It

It was an interesting read, and I fully understand where the author is coming from, but I think there are a few points that could be added to what he is saying and have lead to the disconnect.

First concerns the idea of stretching deconstruction over essentially 3.  Maybe I am stupid, but to me this approach was not obvious.  It was not readily apparent that Snyder was deconstructing the characters, and what was intended to stress these points ended up coming across as awkward , nonsensical, or strange.  I am not sure exactly where that basic failure occurred, it may have been writing, but likely more had to do with the often choppy editing, and the seeming lack of flow that the movies had. The films presented to us at times seemed to lack the narrative pieces required to tell us what the director's intentions were. So, I can appreciate what Snyder was attempting, but I am not sure the audience was given the tools to reach those conclusions. To that when you create a movie that really pushes ideas and intentionally goes against expectations you are inherently taking a big gamble.  It then becomes essential to give people the pieces they need to get it.  Defying expectations with a known property requires almost flawless execution.  To me it came across as Snyder was being different for the sake of being different, and an over reaching arc or point was not there.  This caused me to dislike the approach because the characters presented strayed too far from my expectations.

Pulling off a deconstructed theme over such a long time period requires a lot of faith and patience from the viewer.  So stretch this concept over three films and 5 years requires the audience to have retained many finer plot points, and to be emotionally invested in the next film. So you get MoS which was greeted with mixed reviews and reception.  So for a portion of the audience, they either did not get what Syder was doing, or did not like it. They failed to acquire the emotional connections needed to want them to see the next step. So those people are already set up to be harder to win over.  Then you give them a film that pushes deconstruction further and it drives away those that were on the fence.  Those moments that seem like obvious imported plot beats to those who like the directors vision, now become cringe worthy moments for those who don't. We saw the final culmination of this with JL where those people did not come back.

The entire idea of deconstruction seems to be reaching its end in popularity in general.  This can be seen in other media, and was not necessarily the case in 2013 for MoS but had started by 2016 for BvS.  You see this clearly in comics books where everyone was doing the deconstructed thing in the early 2000's and to an extent people still are today, although it seems to be fading.  So many fans reactions are just to say, get along with the damn story.  Do not take 6 issues to do a main plot which could be done in 3 issues.  I think this tiring of deconstruction can also be seen in some long running TV shows at this point also.  The Walking Dead seems to take this long road slow approach at times, leading audiences to dislike "slow" episodes, criticizing that the show does not seem to be moving forward, and declining ratings. While streaming shows doing 8 to 10 episodes seasons are booming in number and popularity.  Those shows using shorter seasons are forced to be more concise, and move things along.  So the DCEU movies missed the window of deconstruction popularity as a story telling devise.

So maybe this just proves I am exactly the audience the Forbes writer to talking about. Oh, well.

I noticed that the next DC live action movie won't be until December 21,2018.

Marvel will have 6 before that.

Black Panther

Avengers Infinity War

Ant-Man

DEADPOOL

Dark Phoenix

Venom

I wonder if this strategy by DC will harm or hurt their brand?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

28 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Black Panther

Avengers Infinity War

Ant-Man

DEADPOOL

Dark Phoenix

Venom

I think ideally it would have been nice to have one 'unrelated' DCEU movie during the year before December, but they don't seem like they're in a rush to cash in on the comic trend right now (though I certainly would be).  But they've also made money with their Lego movies.  But if I was them I would have gone 'off brand' and done something in the magic/horror (JL Dark characters? Deadman?  Dr Fate?) genre or youth genre's.  But I also get that they're not exactly tearin' it up right now and adding more investment risk without a track record for success isn't that appealing (I'm looking more at Green Lantern and Jonah Hex than I am at DCEU).

My question is whether Marvel will slow their pace down after everything gets consolidated.  I know a lot of movie are planned out now, but with all the control they will have limited resources and not want to burn out audiences or compete with themselves.

1 hour ago, revat said:

I think ideally it would have been nice to have one 'unrelated' DCEU movie during the year before December, but they don't seem like they're in a rush to cash in on the comic trend right now (though I certainly would be).  But they've also made money with their Lego movies.  But if I was them I would have gone 'off brand' and done something in the magic/horror (JL Dark characters? Deadman?  Dr Fate?) genre or youth genre's.  But I also get that they're not exactly tearin' it up right now and adding more investment risk without a track record for success isn't that appealing (I'm looking more at Green Lantern and Jonah Hex than I am at DCEU).

My question is whether Marvel will slow their pace down after everything gets consolidated.  I know a lot of movie are planned out now, but with all the control they will have limited resources and not want to burn out audiences or compete with themselves.

My bet is Disney will slow down, and do 3 or 4 comic movies per year.

Three of the comic movies listed above are not Disney movies, they are still Fox.   At this point Disney does not own fox, since the deal has not been formally approved and has not finish governmental review.

1 hour ago, drotto said:
2 hours ago, revat said:

Three of the comic movies listed above are not Disney movies, they are still Fox.   At this point Disney does not own fox, since the deal has not been formally approved and has not finish governmental review.

I think there's very little chance that the SEC (or Justice) or whomever gets in the way of something that Newscorp wants done.  And I make no judgments here whether that's good/bad/indifferent or even why that might be the case (no politics!).  Just that as someone into comic movies, I think its a certainty Xmen will be back with Marvel Studios at some point relatively soon.

Edited by revat

2 hours ago, drotto said:

Once the Disney=Fox deal goes through, I could see them pulling back to 3 max per year so as not to impact quality or overwhelm the market with content. But they can also make them steady blockbusters with characters that worked for both companies.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Black Panther = MCU

Avengers Infinity War = MCU

Ant-Man = MCU

DEADPOOL = Fox

Dark Phoenix = Fox

Venom = Sony

Again, as much as we all are excited to see a consolidation of the Marvel portfolio of characters, I think we are also going to see a reduction in films. Feige is not going to sacrifice quantity over quality. That's a reality!

Now even with all the challenging of its own roadmap, DC is still also moving forward with Batman: Gotham By Gaslight (animated movie), Teen Titans GO! The Movie (animated) and Aquaman.  WB is keeping that fanatical animated base well fed.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Once the Disney=Fox deal goes through, I could see them pulling back to 3 max per year so as not to impact quality or overwhelm the market with content. But they can also make them steady blockbusters with characters that worked for both companies.

Honestly, for the long term health of comic movies a reduction in the number of films is probably good.  I am not saying the reduction in film studios is a good thing.

Revat, I see no reason why justice would block this.  I was just pointing out that people are treating these films as Disney films already, when in reality they are for now separate companies. There are many steps before the acquisition is complete.

12 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Marvel Disney has 3 movies, not 6

Sony has 1 and Fox has 2.

That's why I inserted that in CC's post. He was pretty ready to proclaim another Feige victory in planning out the entire year.

(:

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's why I inserted that in CC's post. He was pretty ready to proclaim another Feige victory in planning out the entire year.

(:

:gossip:

They are all still movies that feature Marvel characters.

Bottom line is Marvel characters will continue to break record after record and get hyped, while DC fans will have to wait until Christmas season in hopes for Aquaman to turn things around.

This strategy seems strange to me on DC's part, as you think they have at least one other live action DC movie to keep the interest alive.

Could be a long year for DC fans as Marvel character movies continue to push the level of excitement up higher.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Black Panther

Avengers Infinity War

Ant-Man

DEADPOOL

Dark Phoenix

Venom

fewer movies will help the brand, no movies would help more.  i am optimistic about Aquaman because i think James Wan gets it

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

:gossip:

They are all still movies that feature Marvel characters.

Bottom line is Marvel characters will continue to break record after record and get hyped, while DC fans will have to wait until Christmas season in hopes for Aquaman to turn things around.

This strategy seems strange to me on DC's part, as you think they have at least one other live action DC movie to keep the interest alive.

Could be a long year for DC fans as Marvel character movies continue to push the level of excitement up higher.

I am curious to see where Ant-Man 2 and Deadpool 2 end up compared to the original films. I wonder if the shine has come off of DP a bit as it will be difficult to recreate the magic of being the first the R-rated superhero film. In the case of Ant Man 2, is it strong enough as a stand alone property to carry a solo film franchise, or should Ant Man just be a complementary back up character for bigger films in the ever expanding MCU?

That being said, I think Infinity War has a shot at becoming the top box office superhero film to date thanks to Thanos. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik