• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, media_junkie said:

He couldn't.  It was in his contract with the studio that was making the Mission Impossible movie that he couldn't shave.  Wasn't his decision.

WB even offered to pay for a CGI 'tash in Mission Impossible.

On 6/27/2018 at 8:07 PM, media_junkie said:

He couldn't.  It was in his contract with the studio that was making the Mission Impossible movie that he couldn't shave.  Wasn't his decision.

the guy is Superman. I would think there would be some leeway. wow.

I finally watched for the first time, thanks HBO!

I have no doubts my thoughts will be unoriginal at this point, but here we go! 

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

One of the reasons I gave BvS just a marginal thumbs up is that I felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't (and the extended dream sequences, and the plot, and doomsday, etc etc).  BUT I felt like Justice League took a lot of the criticisms from BvS seriously, and while it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, made a likeable movie with likeable characters.  During BvS I felt like there was a better movie inside this movie that I'd rather be watching.  With Justice League I felt like this could spinoff into other movies I'd like to watch. 

Justice League felt like a promo into other movies I'd like to watch someday, like WW2, Aquaman, Flash, and maybe even another Superman movie.  They gave me some laughs and some comic action and some attempts at chemistry, while it wasn't perfect, they leaned into it and got the desired effect for the most part, if not the desired critical or box office response, which I understand.  I would put this in the bottom 1/4 of Marvel movies, above Thor 1 and 2 and the Hulk movie.  I don't think this movie had a ton of value for non-comic fans.

Things I liked -

- Wonder Woman and Aquaman were the highlights for me of the Justice League, most compelling and best looking of the crew.  I think both embody exactly what I was looking for.

- The Aquaman Lasso of Truth scene I thought was hilarious

- I loved most of the side characters, I thought Jeremy Irons, Amy Adams, and ESPECIALLY Amber Heard were great.  Mera was way more compelling than expected, even in limited action.

- I liked it when Batman called out WW for hiding in the shadows.  Strong point.

- My favorite set piece was the Amazon one.  I thought it was creatively directed and executed, and ended up being the most intense scene to me.

- I also like the Superman VS scene, though I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit longer.

Things I didn't like -

Cyborgs armor looked like distracting .  Maybe it was better in 3d or Imax or something, but to me they didn't do it right.  I generally had no use for Cyborg.

While BvS was under-edited, I thought this movie was over-edited.  Too short.  I'm sure they cut out some good stuff.  This still seemed a bit choppy too.

Not that any of these big team up movies can have Oscar winning plots, but this plot was legit too simple.

Why did Bruce buy the bank at the end?  Is he just trying to flex on Superman?  Of does he really feel bad (and if he really feels bad, why not give Clark the bank instead of the house)?  Why not just buy the farm back from the bank?  Is the bank going to turn down a fair market all cash no contingency offer  from the richest man in America on a foreclosed farm?  Also why doesn't Clark have more savings to buy it back himself?  He's Superman and like near 40 years old and his wife is like the best reporter in America and they don't have kids. 

My verdict:  If you like the Justice League or at least 2 of the members, you should go watch it.  If not, go watch Black Panther again.

Henry Cavill doesn't care about a Snyder Cut. It was Superman's trilogy finale, though, so he probably liked it a lot regardless.

Ben Affleck wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Gal Gadot doesn't seem to care either way.

Jason Momoa wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ezra Miller wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ray Fischer wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ciaran Hinds is disappointed in the theatrical release and wants to see a Snyder Cut.

5/7 of your lead actors/actresses want to see the Snyder Cut. Come on, WB, use your freaking brain(s)! I'm thinking about emailing them and asking if we can crowdfund the assets required to make this thing happen...

On 1/2/2019 at 9:55 PM, TwoPiece said:

Henry Cavill doesn't care about a Snyder Cut. It was Superman's trilogy finale, though, so he probably liked it a lot regardless.

Ben Affleck wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Gal Gadot doesn't seem to care either way.

Jason Momoa wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ezra Miller wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ray Fischer wants to see a Snyder Cut.

Ciaran Hinds is disappointed in the theatrical release and wants to see a Snyder Cut.

5/7 of your lead actors/actresses want to see the Snyder Cut. Come on, WB, use your freaking brain(s)! I'm thinking about emailing them and asking if we can crowdfund the assets required to make this thing happen...

There had better be a lot of existing cut footage for this to work for me. That and ten more years so I can go in fresh having forgotten the first cut.

47 minutes ago, Oddball said:

There had better be a lot of existing cut footage for this to work for me. That and ten more years so I can go in fresh having forgotten the first cut.

Snyder's cut when he was fired during post-production was over 2-1/2 hours long. The footage is there - it just needs to be polished with CGI.

Now, the real question is, are the scenes that were cut still stored somewhere? Snyder's Steppenwolf did not have a humanoid face. Does that original CGI tape still exist?

On 1/3/2019 at 11:55 PM, TwoPiece said:

Snyder's cut when he was fired during post-production was over 2-1/2 hours long. The footage is there - it just needs to be polished with CGI.

Now, the real question is, are the scenes that were cut still stored somewhere? Snyder's Steppenwolf did not have a humanoid face. Does that original CGI tape still exist?

I can't imagine anyone throwing out expensive cut footage these days. The studio should spring for a little extra to have Snyder clean it up and splice it all in. I'd pay to see it.

Eventually I'm sure WB will put together an extended cut of the movie on Blu-ray, they won't let that footage go to waste. Although who knows, SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE has existed only in a butchered version since 1987...:insane:

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:23 AM, Larryw7 said:

Eventually I'm sure WB will put together an extended cut of the movie on Blu-ray, they won't let that footage go to waste. Although who knows, SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE has existed only in a butchered version since 1987...:insane:

Truth.

But, if Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers can get a director's cut, anything is possible. lol 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:01 AM, Oddball said:

I can't imagine anyone throwing out expensive cut footage these days. The studio should spring for a little extra to have Snyder clean it up and splice it all in. I'd pay to see it.

It'll probably wind up being uneven, like the Superman II: Donner Cut, because stuff he couldn't reshoot and had to use Whedon's stuff.

I preferred the Theatrical Cut to Superman II than that one. My 2c 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:38 PM, paperheart said:

degenerate gamblers would call this "throwing good $ after bad"-  Aquaman is a further reminder that the Syndervision left an easy $500MM on the table.

Maybe even more. They had the success and momentum of WW to build off of from earlier in the year, plus Batman and Superman, and Snyder/Whedon basically wasted it. 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Maybe even more. They had the success and momentum of WW to build off of from earlier in the year, plus Batman and Superman, and Snyder/Whedon basically wasted it. 

Anyone still spinning this record about Snyder and Justice League totally dismisses what we experienced was not what he pulled together. Even the test screenings included Darkseid and there was talk of Green Lanterns appearing to build upon a later story.

I still liked Justice League, but even with the extra footage Snyder would have whiffed from a big box office perspective. That is what I was referring to. The broader movie going audience wants lighter, more humorous movies. By taking a darker/grittier approach, Snyder basically excluded those viewers from wanting to go which hurts the box office results. Even having Whedon add some humor/lighter moments did not help. Look at Aquaman $$$ compared to Justice League (which had the big 3 DC properties in it) to see why Snyder took the wrong approach.