• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

Since the other one got locked down, hoping we can continue the discussion/reviews of the movie without all the nonsense (although it seemed pretty tame for lockdown, unless I missed stuff that was removed by the mods). 

In any case, continue....

There were some really good discussion points earlier in the day yesterday about content in the movie, along with improvement suggestions.

I hadn't even noticed The Atom mention until that article I happened across yesterday.

What'd I miss!?

Lets go back to the old days, see a movie, give your opinion, have a chat, move on.

People obsessing over box office and budget, do certain people on this forum actually work for the studio or something? No, ok, then why obsess over it?

Justice League - 6/10, I hope there is an extended cut when its released on 4K.

25 minutes ago, bane said:

What'd I miss!?

Lets go back to the old days, see a movie, give your opinion, have a chat, move on.

People obsessing over box office and budget, do certain people on this forum actually work for the studio or something? No, ok, then why obsess over it?

Justice League - 6/10, I hope there is an extended cut when its released on 4K.

Total agreement. I don’t care about reviews or box office, I will go see a movie I am interested in even with bad reviews. The only review that matters to me is mine. Some say they don’t want to spend their hard earned money without the reviews and I can respect that. For me, it’s a movie ticket and I spend more on caffeine and alcohol. I will see this, and I hope I enjoy it. 

My original review posting the night I came back:

Now THAT was a fun movie!

:whee:

And when Lois Lane reads that closing statement in the end, the audience actually applauded. I haven't been at a movie this year when the audience applauded like that.

:applause:

Man, they sure cut some scenes into the film where you could tell there were new ideas. Even more than BvS. But again - THAT was fun!

:whee: :whee: :whee:

The team coming together and their personality differences learning how to mesh together made this so great to see on film. And Steppenwolf was not that horrible. The mistake they made was no real message beforehand why he was doing the things he did, leading to a later larger threat.

I agree with folks on the credit scenes. The first one is a nice callback to the old comics. Nothing more. But that second one - WOW!!!

Ranking:

1) Man of Steel

2) Wonder Woman

3) Justice League

4) Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut

0) Suicide Squad as a guilty pleasure

Easily a 7.0/10.0 movie with the heart of a 9.0 film.

I saw JL on Saturday. I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I enjoyed it, at times quite a bit. 5/10 for me.

The major problem for me  was simple:  Batman.  In cosmic storylines (especially Darkseid related) the only way the Batman works is if he is a nearly perfect combo of the World's Greatest Detective and the World's Toughest Man. Otherwise, he is just a bag of flesh that would get liquified by the other players.  Seeing him fumble and flail about, not even being able to find Cyborg was sad and stupid.  He should have found them instantaneously, forced them to join, using intimidation, blackmail or whatever is necessary. They all hate but grudgingly admire Batman, giving them all a reason to band together to keep an eye on him, because he is so scarily ahead of them on everything.  Batman's intellectual superiority becomes the one thing that softens the edges of this dark world, the humor and the pathos can all be generated easily by having a genius-level detective/strategist Batman (it's how Morrison was able to have a thrilling Darkseid arc in his 1997 JLA run).

So it is not about Affleck's delivering a weak, ineffectual, bumbling Batman, it is about the -script not providing the Batman this movie deserved.

55 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Batman's intellectual superiority becomes the one thing that softens the edges of this dark world, the humor and the pathos can all be generated easily by having a genius-level detective/strategist Batman (it's how Morrison was able to have a thrilling Darkseid arc in his 1997 JLA run).

So it is not about Affleck's delivering a weak, ineffectual, bumbling Batman, it is about the --script not providing the Batman this movie deserved.

As someone who counts the 1997 run as the definitive Justice League, I agree.

Although my favorite run there was "Tower of Babel" by Mark Waid, wherein Ra's Al Ghul used Batman's plans to take out the whole JLA.

But (as noted previously) I think  the -script failed to provide the whole Justice League the movie it deserved.

Putting a 2 hour cap on what should have been the longest movie (2.5 hours) seems to have hurt this movie the most.

- Spent the time to better define Steppenwolf's motivations and mission (and better link to Darkseid)

- Better blended in the arcs throughout the movie versus shaving off scenes to avoid exceeding 2 hours

- Could have kept in some of the Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman intro scenes (give the new characters their due)

This definitely was the major contributor to the choppy story. Plus since it came out the Batman intro scene was Whedon's second go-around after WB didn't like his comedy approach, it showed a lack of attention to Batman's secrecy and handling of the thief. Better focus on the traditional character focus would have helped make this a massive winner.

Since the thread has restarted, let me give my quick review.

1.  Loved it.  Much better than BvS in almost every aspect.  

2.  First part felt choppy and then when the battles begin, it seemed to flow better.

3.  Trailers gave the best humor away.  In fact, I am going to get to a point that I will start avoiding trailers so that I can enjoy movies more.

4.  The Steppenwolf back story was really good and I liked the way it tied in the various heroes and their people.

5.  The opening scene with Batman was very good. 

6.  Movie was too short at 2 hours.  Should have gone to 2:30 and given more backstory on the heroes and possibly more battle.  

All in all a solid movie. 

'Justice League': New Report Claims Zack Snyder's Director's Cut Does Exist

As you can read in the Reddit post below, there are other outlets now claiming to have inside sources informing them that a Justice League Director's Cut does in fact exist. It's said that the "Director's Cut" is the original cut of the movie that Snyder turned in, complete with mostly completed visual effects and a different soundtrack. Note: the cut is actually said to be in "notable" shape (i.e., not at all complete), meaning that Warner Bros. would have to invest in some additional post-production to make Snyder's cut ready for public consumption.

The question is: Is it worth it? Having Snyder's vision of Justice League would give the longtime die-hard fans a much-needed sense of completion, from getting to experience Snyder's complete DCEU trilogy as intended. Beyond that, however, a lot of mainstream viewers were divided over Snyder's vision of the DCEU before Justice League, and after being disappointed in so many other DCEU films, they may no longer willing to give Justice League a second look (or even a first).

Then again, the fan petitions don't show any sign of slowing down anytime soon, and the Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition release was a success, helping the studio recoup a nice amount that they didn't get from the theatrical run. In terms of branding, giving what die-hard fans are left what they want may be prudent move.

Posted by Reddit Moderation:

Hello /r/DC_Cinematic,

I will preface this post with the following clarification: the moderation team is not in the scoop game. Whether there is good news or bad news afoot, our goal has always been to present the best sources possible when it comes to DC film news and developments. The purpose of this post is to present information that has been gathered through independent research with an emphasis on credibility. Without further ado, here is what has come to light.

There has been a lot of debate over the existence of a viable "Snyder cut" of Justice League. After some digging, I have come across convincing proof that the Snyder cut of Justice League exists in an unfinished but relevant form. This was not simply an assembly cut derived from principal photography, but a rough version that had a lot of finished FX and music. Details concerning the sourcing of this information will be held in total confidence.

There are a lot of emotions and opinions surrounding Justice League. This post and its contents are not meant to address any of them. I am only writing this to affirm that there is a director’s cut of the film that exists in an unfinished but notable state. Again, we are not ace scoopers or pundits. We are fans serving fans. We do not want your likes, your follows, your retweets, etc. At the end, everything we do has been a voluntary service, as is the case with this find.

For those of you who were satisfied with the theatrical cut of Justice League, we are happy for you and wish you every enjoyment of the film. There are a good number of folks who feel this way judging from the megathread responses. For others who may have felt the delivered version was not what was promised by the universe’s continuity and marketing, you are not alone, and you are supported by the available facts.

There is now a revised version of the petition (originally written by Roberto Mata) to Warner Brothers to complete and release Zack Snyder’s vision and version of Justice League. The latest draft was penned by none other than Dr. Awkward of the Man of Steel Answers podcast, an exemplary fan production that I would recommend to any fan of Man of Steel. The revised petition comes from a place of both passion and respect. Dr. Awkward has made the sobering point that any serious bid for the release of a Snyder cut of Justice League cannot be mixed with antagonistic or punitive rhetoric that would frame any concession as an admission of wrongdoing by the studio. Regardless of your position on the matter, it is a good read. You can find it here.

There are no guarantees that the existence of a rough director’s cut of Justice League means that anyone outside of the studio system will ever see it. The fan petition also offers no certainties, but it is a constructive and earnest outlet for those who share its sentiments. We hope that this information serves you well, wherever you may stand in these matters.