• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

I actually saw movie tonight (finally).  Too be honest, I liked it.  No, not great, but not bad either.  Especially compared to BvS.  The only part of the movie that I really hated and got my eyes rolling was the ending.  Not the epilogue, but just right after they defeat Steppenwolf.  That was my only "Oh, come on!" moment where the movie lost me (no spoiler here).  Somehow, I don't think that was something Snyder would have put in.  

It's not a deep movie, but it's fun. In many ways a comic book brought to life. It's a shame that the CGI wasn't finished and that the studio insisted that the film should be butchered before release. But despite the flaws, it's a very watchable movie. I'd also like to see a Zack Snyder cut someday.

I was very late to the party and saw the movie last week. 

It is not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it, very entertaining. 

1- the action scenes with Superman are all great. 

2-WW is really hot... I mean.... Great

3-Aquaman and Flash are both a great addition to the team and both very entertaining characters (can't wait to see the Aquaman movie and a lot more of Mera) 

4-even Steppenwolf, a third tier villain, was perfect for the movie and introducing the 4th world.

I enjoyed it more than Wonder Woman 

I don't understand all the bad reviews, give Whedon the opportunity to direct Part 2.

SMALLVILLE Producer And DAREDEVIL Showrunner Steven DeKnight Is A Fan Of Zack Snyder's Superman

Steven S. DeKnight served as an executive producer on Smallville for a number of years, a show which spent a decade delving into Superman's origin story. Since that show ended, we've seen a few different versions of the Man of Steel with Henry Cavill's being the most prominent. Unfortunately, Zack Snyder's take on the hero has been meet met with a mixed response due to him being a little rough around the edges and a much darker take on the popular DC Comics hero than what fans are used to.

Joss Whedon went a long way in changing that perception with his Justice League reshoots but there's a lot of work which needs to be done. DeKnight, however, is sympathetic when it comes to finding the best way to handle Superman as it's something he struggled with over the course of several seasons.

"Superman is one of the hardest characters to write for. One of the brilliant things about Smallville is it’s all about Clark. He wasn’t Superman yet," DeKnight explained while promoting Pacific Rim Uprising. "Superman’s very different from Batman. Batman is this dark, psychologically messed up guy, Superman’s the man we all aspire to be. He’s inspirational and to try to find the human side of that, and not to mention, he’s so powerful it’s harder to relate to him so it’s very, very difficult."

As for what Snyder did with the character, DeKnight - who has expressed an interest in helming Man of Steel 2 - explained that he was a fan of that take on the character. "I actually really like what Zack Snyder has done with that character. It’s a super hard, very tricky character to do and like I said, if we were doing on Smallville, if he were Superboy on Smallville, I don’t think it would have worked."

On 3/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, Batman said:

Me too.

It was watchable in a Fantastic Four (2005) kind of way.

No way better than Wonder Woman though.

Not god-awful, but way too much padding from secondary characters (the Russian family hiding under furniture, the thief in the beginning who is rather chatty with Batman after shooting at him, etc.)

** out of **** stars.

8 minutes ago, Batman said:

JL was more enjoyable and had a better ending IMO.

I preferred Wonder Woman.

Ive already seen the JL ending in Joss Whedons two previous superhero movies.

8 hours ago, bane said:

And possibly several episodes of Buffy... However, to me, that ending was straight out of a modern comic book, right down to the "fear" and turning parademons. The end battle in WW looked like boss fight.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

It was watchable in a Fantastic Four (2005) kind of way.

No way better than Wonder Woman though.

Not god-awful, but way too much padding from secondary characters (the Russian family hiding under furniture, the thief in the beginning who is rather chatty with Batman after shooting at him, etc.)

** out of **** stars.

That’s Wheedon

According to Variety, Justice League has debuted to robust figures and has claimed the top spot in both the Blu Ray and DVD categories. Citing NPD Videoscan, they state that Justice League knocked out Thor: Ragnarok, which had been the reigning champ.

This is nothing new, of course. DC Films have been known to perform quite nicely on the home market. Every DCU film to date- Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman– has debuted at #1. But in the case of Justice League, it’s uniquely important. The film was the first full-on box office misfire for WB/DC, garnering the lowest opening weekend of the five DCU titles, and then- unsurprisingly- finishing at the bottom in terms of final gross.

So while previous DCU films got to look at their home sales as “bonus money,” for Justice League it’s the difference between turning a profit or posting a loss. In my conversations with WB sources, they’ve always stated that the home sales were going to be hugely important and vital. Strong sales would give the new regime of Toby Emmerich and Walter Hamada the shot in the arm that they need to move forward with confidence as they look to push the franchise in new and exciting directions; Weak sales would lead to a far more conservative approach and a much more timid outlook on how to pivot the franchise.

As such, they still have aces up their sleeves. With a mountain of unseen footage sitting in their archives, they could wait for this first wave to sell through and then - in a few months - release a special extended cut that would drive home sales into the stratosphere. As I’ve reported in the past, that’s something they’re interested in doing- as well as special packages like a Superman Trilogy set that features MOS, BvS, and JL with additional footage.

Could this lead to a Snyder Cut if WB sees sales high enough with this Theatrical Cut?

(shrug)

On 20/03/2018 at 9:44 PM, bane said:

So, what did you think of the last 30 minutes of WW? Or were you too amazed by the brilliant twist?

1 hour ago, kdoginohio said:

you know, why didn't he shave it for justice league and slap on a fake one for MI? i mean, i recall something about disguises and all with the IM show/movies.

He couldn't.  It was in his contract with the studio that was making the Mission Impossible movie that he couldn't shave.  Wasn't his decision.