• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a Stan Lee signed Amazing Spiderman 21

15 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so I apologise if I haven't followed the rules, just let me know and I'll amend.

I am looking for a Stan Lee signed SS CGC The Amazing Spider man #21 (the issue with the beetle and the human torch) to compliment an original sketch I own from that comic.

If anyone has one they are ready to part with or know how I could search for and obtain this piece It would be very much appreciated. I'm new to this world so any advice would be welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 hour ago, Zanga said:

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so I apologise if I haven't followed the rules, just let me know and I'll amend.

I am looking for a Stan Lee signed SS CGC The Amazing Spider man #21 (the issue with the beetle and the human torch) to compliment an original sketch I own from that comic.

If anyone has one they are ready to part with or know how I could search for and obtain this piece It would be very much appreciated. I'm new to this world so any advice would be welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

There is a looking to buy section. Try there. Welcome. 

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

No need to be sorry. You'll learn your way around. That's a very specific item. Maybe easier to buy one and head to Stan Lee at a con (at least for the moment)

Problem is I'm in the UK, I'm not sure he travels over here. And from what I've read, to get it witnessed and graded seems like a bit of a faff. I've posted in the WTB section so hopefully someone will bite. Should I remove this thread to keep the forum pure?

Just now, Zanga said:

Problem is I'm in the UK, I'm not sure he travels over here. And from what I've read, to get it witnessed and graded seems like a bit of a faff. I've posted in the WTB section so hopefully someone will bite. Should I remove this thread to keep the forum pure?

"A bit of a faff!?" 

Yeah WTB section is best if you're UK, I guess. Nothing is that pure around here (to me), so no need to remove. Others who live to find "a faff" wherever they go may disagree. 

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

"A bit of a faff!?" 

Yeah WTB section is best if you're UK, I guess. Nothing is that pure around here (to me), so no need to remove. Others who live to find "a faff" wherever they go may disagree. 

Haha, good to know. I've looked into it and I can't seem to get my head around who to send the comic to and whether they are able to go to where Stan is and get him to sign it before grading it and sending it back. Obviously I'd prefer this route but there are many sites boasting that they can do this (which I have no idea about how good or bad they are) and I can't bank on Stan being where I need him (being from the UK this all has to be done remotely) so please forgive my poor choice of words xD

Just now, Zanga said:

Haha, good to know. I've looked into it and I can't seem to get my head around who to send the comic to and whether they are able to go to where Stan is and get him to sign it before grading it and sending it back. Obviously I'd prefer this route but there are many sites boasting that they can do this (which I have no idea about how good or bad they are) and I can't bank on Stan being where I need him (being from the UK this all has to be done remotely) so please forgive my poor choice of words xD

Try the Signature Room on this site. Those guys can help. As far as signatures, it's not my field of expertise. 

There are 47 SS copies of this book (vs 800+ universal). So probably not many come up for sale.

But you are in luck!

There's a Cgc 6.0 for sale on mycomicshop.com

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=45292962

Their asking price is a little steep, but you could contact them to see fit the seller will negotiate (it's a consignment).

A 7.0 SS signed by Stan sold for $300 recently, and a 0.5 sold back in July... Those are the only two sales in the last 12 months on GPA so there aren't a ton of opportunities to get this specific book, but I'd set up an alert on eBay in case someone lists one.... That's the most likely place you will find one for sale.

Good luck!

On 11/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, miraclemet said:

There are 47 SS copies of this book (vs 800+ universal). So probably not many come up for sale.

But you are in luck!

Their asking price is a little steep, but you could contact them to see fit the seller will negotiate (it's a consignment).

A 7.0 SS signed by Stan sold for $300 recently, and a 0.5 sold back in July... Those are the only two sales in the last 12 months on GPA so there aren't a ton of opportunities to get this specific book, but I'd set up an alert on eBay in case someone lists one.... That's the most likely place you will find one for sale.

Good luck!

That's really useful information, thank you so much!

Finding graded copies of this comic is really simple, it's the stan lee ss bit that seems to be an issue. I'd gladly buy a standard cgc grading and get Stan to sign it if I could figure out how to do that from the UK.

Thank you for your help though!

On 11/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, miraclemet said:

But you are in luck!

Good luck!

My apologies I've just clicked that the listing you suggested is exactly what I was after!

In your opinion how much would you expect a piece like this to be worth? Before I try and negotiate the price down too much or not enough.

3 hours ago, Zanga said:

My apologies I've just clicked that the listing you suggested is exactly what I was after!

In your opinion how much would you expect a piece like this to be worth? Before I try and negotiate the price down too much or not enough.

What's it worth? Hmm that depends....

The cheapest way you get a Cgc SS Stan signature is to wait for one to come up in auction (eBay, comiclink, etc), cause you can often get it for less than the cost of creating it (cost of book+cost of sight+cost of CGC SS submission). Most of the ones listed with BIN prices or are on dealer websites are listed for the price of creating the SS book. 

So looking at recent auction sales on eBay for similar books...

Asm 37 in 5.0 sold for $220

Asm 42 in 5.0 sold for $250

Asm22 in 6.0 sold for $250

Asm46 in 7.0 sold for $301

So their ask isn't as far off as I thought. If you were to buy a raw copy for around $150, then get it signed yourself ($200 All in costs),you be outbound $350, maybe a little less (best case $300). So I'd say make an offer of 300 to see if there's any negotiating, but don't feel bad paying full price, especially since you get exactly what you want, immediately (as opposed to waiting 4+ months for creating and submitting your own. Or if you are a "must get a deal" kind a guy (as some of us Are) just keep watching eBay in hopes one gets listed in an auction cause it will probably for for less in an auction....probably.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

What's it worth? Hmm that depends....

The cheapest way you get a Cgc SS Stan signature is to wait for one to come up in auction (eBay, comiclink, etc), cause you can often get it for less than the cost of creating it (cost of book+cost of sight+cost of CGC SS submission). Most of the ones listed with BIN prices or are on dealer websites are listed for the price of creating the SS book. 

So looking at recent auction sales on eBay for similar books...

Asm 37 in 5.0 sold for $220

Asm 42 in 5.0 sold for $250

Asm22 in 6.0 sold for $250

Asm46 in 7.0 sold for $301

So their ask isn't as far off as I thought. If you were to buy a raw copy for around $150, then get it signed yourself ($200 All in costs),you be outbound $350, maybe a little less (best case $300). So I'd say make an offer of 300 to see if there's any negotiating, but don't feel bad paying full price, especially since you get exactly what you want, immediately (as opposed to waiting 4+ months for creating and submitting your own. Or if you are a "must get a deal" kind a guy (as some of us Are) just keep watching eBay in hopes one gets listed in an auction cause it will probably for for less in an auction....probably.

That was really thorough and informative, thank you very much, I'll have a ponder.

Lovely community

17 hours ago, Zanga said:

That was really thorough and informative, thank you very much, I'll have a ponder.

Lovely community

My 2 cents to add - getting a new Stan Lee sig is an iffy plan, his more recent sigs (the past couple of years at least) have appeared either poorly written and/or poorly placed on the covers.  So getting a reasonable looking/placed sig already present has added value in light of the uncertainty of what you might get if you took the long route.

40 minutes ago, grebal said:

My 2 cents to add - getting a new Stan Lee sig is an iffy plan, his more recent sigs (the past couple of years at least) have appeared either poorly written and/or poorly placed on the covers.  So getting a reasonable looking/placed sig already present has added value in light of the uncertainty of what you might get if you took the long route.

Yeah I've heard other commentors on other threads mentioning his degrading eyesight, useful  2 cents!