• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic to you is worth your entire collection?
3 3

40 posts in this topic

There isn't one. I've been building my collection since 1975, with some years off in between. While I imagine at some point when old age approaches I'll sell so as not to burden my family, there isn't any single book I'd dump them all for.

My collection is fairly modest, mainly mid-grade silver keys (ToS 39, Avengers 4 being the highlights). I'd trade them all for a nice FF1, which was the one book I really wanted but never got my hands on during my first phase of collecting comics when I was a kid. Now that I'm married with a kid approaching college and a mortgage, I don't see myself ever dropping much money on comics again but it would be very cool to finally get one of those.

Edited by Mackenzie999

I also would not want to give up my collection for just one comic. There are just too many stories that I am going to revisit and to trade all of them for one comic is just unthinkable to me. Sure, my whole collection probably could not buy an AF15 or any other rarity, but to me it is worth more than any one comic.

I mean...

2 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

If you could trade all the comics you own for just one book, what would it be?

You didn't say it had to be a fair trade...so I would trade my entire collection for an Action 1, preferably 9.0. I could then pretty easily sell that and not only rebuild my collection, but complete it in entirely 9.8s.

Yeah, I guess I would go for a truly rare GA book that could sell for serious coin easily when I was ready to cash out. You know Action #1, Detective #27 in great condition. 

I'd just do TBP to read the comics I wanted to read that currently take up spec in boxes in my closet. 

4 hours ago, FineCollector said:

No one comic could replace my collection.  I feel bad for anyone who has a collection they care so little about that they'd trade it all away.

Exactly.  I can't imagine all the time,effort, love that has gone into it for one book.

I am a comic art collector who dabbles in comics, but I thought long and hard about  a decade ago about selling all of my art to finance one Ditko Dr Strange page. I figured at the time that I had about 950 pieces of art and that I could conceivably, over considerable time, sell them off and buy one Ditko page. IIRC that was about $50K at the time. I decided against it but decided to do a smaller version and sell it all until I had 50 choice pieces, really cherce pieces, left. I got down to about 250 and have stalled out there while I play in the comics pool for a while.

More Schomburg covers to look at it is good a good rule to live by so I can't see doing a less is more approach.  I don't see a one ring to rule them all book out there, like the 52 Mantle Topps card is - towering above everything ever printed in that hobby.