• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko's later work. Quality or not

28 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

I thought his Speedball and Rom stuff was good!

Wow ROM and Speedball is great looking art as far as i am concerned !!

I agree. Unfortunately, some can't get beyond his Ditko Spider-Man , similar to how some people can't go beyond Adams Batman or Byrne X-Men. Once they get stuck in that mindset with that character/artist style game over.

:insane:

On Rom, Ditko’s pencils inked by P. Craig Russell worked really well, as did the first two issues of Speedball, inked by Jackson Guice.

Both added some nice detail to his pencil art.

Good stuff.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Ditko inked by anyone else isn't Ditko, to me anyway. He does so little art in the pencilling that either it comes out in the inker's style, or else the inker has to make an effort to finish it as fake-Ditko. (Better the first, I think. The second is totally pointless. When he gave up inking his own work-for-hire art he might as well have publicly announced that all that stuff was hack work.)

As long as a story is illustrated by a nice-looking, well-paced combination of pencils and inks, I'm happy.