• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just saw a commercial on TV for a new comic book...

9 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Neat! Did this air nationally? When? 

I was looking for another add,but only found this one...I was sure I remembered an add for Secret Wars or Secret Wars two more likely that involved the series and the toys.

Just thought this one was fun.

I saw them advertise for the return of legacy numbering at the end of Lynda Carter wonder woman, right before svengoolie a month or so back. I mentioned it then but.... nothing echoed lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

From the write up on YouTube:  "G.I.Joe was first introduced in the spring of 1982 with a television commercial for Marvel Comics' G.I.Joe #1. This was the first time that a comic book had ever been advertised on television. It was the first G.I.Joe project that Sunbow Animation undertook - and it would be the first of many. Not only was the animation used to sell Marvel's G.I.Joe #1 comic book, but the footage would later be re-used in G.I.Joe toy commercials. The animation for every comic book commercial would eventually be re-used in a toy commercial."

In Indianapolis, one of the major shops (probably Comic Carnival) quadrupled down on the launch of Marvel's New Universe in the mid 80's by having TV ads. While it was cool (in theory) to see comics on TV, the production value and the subject matter were so lame, there were not enough facepalms in existence at that point to do the job . . .