• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

when is an 8.5 not an 8.5? Lack of grading notes

6 posts in this topic

This is a complaint of sorts that I have been seeing with the books I have sent in for grading and the lack of grading notes to show how CGC has arrived at a grade. I have several silver age books that I have submitted myself or purchased of eBay. It seems like I will have two 8.5's that look entirely different in regards to condition. both are black along the spine so creases will be more visible and one will have several stress lines around the staples and the other won't and they will grade the same. As far as I can tell the one with no stress lines has no other significant blemish to offset nice spine compared to the other comic. I even have comics with stress lines along the spine that have graded higher than another book with no stress lines.

Now don't get me started on Spectacular Spider-Man #1. I have over 50 copies ranging from 6.5 to 9.8 and the grading is so off the chart. there are 8.5 that are in better condition than 9.2's it seems it just whomever happens to get thew comic across their desk that does the grading. Is the grading been standardized at all? Do they use computer scans to get a better grade or is it all human and subjective?

Whether you have the notes or not, it has more to do with understanding what deductions are made and why as well as a decent understanding of which defects are the most expensive.  I say "decent" understanding because there is no public guide provided by CGC to go by but if you read enough notes in conjunction with a book in hand (or scans) you can pick up these nuances.  Two 8.5's can look completely different.  You may have one that looks like a 9.2 with a half dime sized light stain which is a 2 bump defect.  Its actually these seemingly discrepant grades that showed me just how consistent CGC really is; especially in comparison to the competition.        

Edited by comicquant

3 hours ago, boston collectibles said:

This is a complaint of sorts that I have been seeing with the books I have sent in for grading and the lack of grading notes to show how CGC has arrived at a grade. I have several silver age books that I have submitted myself or purchased of eBay. It seems like I will have two 8.5's that look entirely different in regards to condition. both are black along the spine so creases will be more visible and one will have several stress lines around the staples and the other won't and they will grade the same. As far as I can tell the one with no stress lines has no other significant blemish to offset nice spine compared to the other comic. I even have comics with stress lines along the spine that have graded higher than another book with no stress lines.

Now don't get me started on Spectacular Spider-Man #1. I have over 50 copies ranging from 6.5 to 9.8 and the grading is so off the chart. there are 8.5 that are in better condition than 9.2's it seems it just whomever happens to get thew comic across their desk that does the grading. Is the grading been standardized at all? Do they use computer scans to get a better grade or is it all human and subjective?

Why don't you have the notes ? They are available to you as a submitter.  For most of us, your complaints are 'been there done that'. You have to your homework and learn. The only suggestion I can make is to submit your books with a prescreen for a certain grade. Also, join the community here and participate in the Please Grade My thread. 

Do they scan all the books or do they just use the naked eye? I have an ungraded ASM #129 up for auction on eBay right now. I put in the scanner at the highest rating of 2400. OMG!! it saw everything. I would have graded a 3 with what I saw compared to a 6.5 that I graded with the naked eye. I couldn't upload a 2400 DPI scan onto eBay even if I wanted to. Had to settle with 200.  I would think with modern technology it would all be computerized at this point and we wouldn't have to be worried about who's desk and who's eye's were grading my book. If that's the case, I guess perhaps the computer did see something I can't and that's why the grades may be drastically different. 

Furthermore. Bomber-Bob, I may be a dope, but where would the notes be? All I got back in the mail with the books was the original submission form I gave them when I turned them in at the convention.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:51 AM, boston collectibles said:

Furthermore. Bomber-Bob, I may be a dope, but where would the notes be? All I got back in the mail with the books was the original submission form I gave them when I turned them in at the convention.

Might not be available with on site submissions - many here have the membership subscriptions and submit direct to CGC and we receive grader notes for free.  While not a complete set of notes ( what we are sent is supposed to be a quick summary of non obvious defects) - it can help. Below is part of the screen I see - 2 identical books and grades - one had grader notes with a stain notation. Side by side - the non stained book as more visible physical defects. If you were the submitter - you may be able to call in and get the notes over the phone.

You can also get grader notes ( for a fee) - from the main CGC page using the verify tool ( after you enter the cert number you will get this option), but this is for a fee.

image.thumb.png.aa88746cbc69259f07db385ffa0e6b12.png