• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice on Selling
1 1

14 posts in this topic

After pondering it for over a week, I've come to the realization that I have no need or desire to own the highest graded copy of a particular comic book.  I just don't see myself putting together a "highest graded" run, and  I now realize I'd be perfectly happy with a lesser graded copy that is not "the best" copy.  Especially, when I can sell the "highest graded" copy, get a nice lesser copy, and have a nice profit to spend on other targets (have cake and eat it too).  I also feel a personal bonus in getting a comic to the collector who will appreciate it the most (which is why, for example, I sold my copy of The Nightingale to SOTIcollector so he could complete his collection of every book mentioned in SOTI and why I have not, and never will, sell other items that are core to my collection) and I know there are collectors out there chasing the "highest graded" book runs.

But, here's the thing:  I'm a buyer, not a seller.  Aside from that sale to SOTIcollector, I rarely sell.  So I'm not quite sure what to do.  Advice would be appreciated.

What I want to do is sell my FC 456 9.4 (white) "Uncle Scrooge (no. 2) - Back to the Klondike."  It's the highest rated on the census (1 of 2, once they update it), and I believe the other 9.4 may be ow/w or worse because most of the file copies are not pure white pages.  Consequently, I think my copy could be the best copy of a book that features the first appearance of Scrooge's long lost love Glittering Goldie and is widely viewed by Duck collectors as one of the most important stories in shaping the Scrooge mythos and characterization.

Here's my issues:

(1) I don't know the value of this comic.  Yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to admit that.  But, there is no GPA on a 9.4.  The other 9.4 has not ever sold as far as I can tell.  There are three relatively recent transactions in the last 12 months that might help benchmark the price:

* 9.2 (ow/w), 1 of 3, sold for $5,975.00 on May 19, 2017 at Heritage.

*9.0 (ow/w), 1 of 4, sold for $2,270.5 on February 18, 2016 at Heritage.

* 8.5 (ow/w), 1 of 8, sold for $836.50 on May 28, 2017 at Heritage.

Using those prices as benchmarks, which show an exponential increase at the higher grades of over 2x, I'm thinking my FC 456 has a potential value in excess of $12K.  Let me know if you think I'm crazy.

I actually think this estimate is probably low, as a Four Color 386 (U.S. No. 1) in 9.0 (ow/w), 1 of 18 and with 16 higher copies, sold for $4,899.50 with a 9.2 (ow/w), 1 of 9, selling the same day for $13,145.00 on August 10, 2017 at Heritage.  Those are strong prices, and a record for a 9.2 at Heritage (notable because there are six 9.4 and one 9.6)!  I think an experienced seller would be able to do very well.

However, I realize those are all prices for Heritage, and I don't want to sell through Heritage.  Instead ...

(2) I'd like to sell it outside of an auction.  Just don't want to pay high fees.  Which begs my questions for which I need advice:

Does anyone know any dealers who know the high end Duck buyers who would be willing to accept a decent percentage to facilitate a transaction?

Or should I just solicit dealer offers and forget about finding someone to connect me with the right end buyers?  I realize the downside of his route is that my price would need to reflect that dealers need to make money, but it might have the advantage of speed.

Or should I sell on the Boards? I don't see Ducks (especially high end Ducks) being offered on the Boards, so I've sort of given up on this option.

Or am I being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person who should just sell in an auction?  If so, which?

Or should I just try out some or all of the above options in some sort of sequential order and see what happens.

I admit it, I'm a newbie when it comes to selling.  And, no, I feel no embarrassment at admitting my ignorance or fear of being taken advantage of.  Generally, I feel the folks here give good advice because they want the hobby to thrive.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

Just a fact update...the other 9.4 FC 456 also has white pages.

Good to know there's an exact comparable out there!  Do you own it or do you know when it last sold and for how much? 

If you got any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Good to know there's an exact comparable out there!  Do you own it or do you know when it last sold and for how much? 

If you got any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears, thanks. 

It sold privately over a decade ago to a European Disney collector. I do not know the purchase price.

Good luck with your sale. I think you may be a little overly optimistic on value, but super high-end Disney stuff is very volatile.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

It sold privately over a decade ago to a European Disney collector. I do not know the purchase price.

Good luck with your sale. I think you may be a little overly optimistic on value, but super high-end Disney stuff is very volatile.

Thanks again for being generous with your information and advice!

How about this:

1) List the book on the boards.  Set whatever price you want (?$12,995.) See if you get any interest or offers.  If it sells, then you avoid any fees.

2) If the book doesn't sell here, then check out the auction houses as Moondog suggests (great advice on how to deal with the auction houses.)

great issue - I think I'll pull my low grade out to read now

- this may be outdated information - but I seem to recall that Heritage would sometimes offer a coupon that would save you 50% of the selling commission. I'm not sure if it had a dollar limit - but I seem to remember getting them sometimes with keys I purchased from them 10 years ago - not sure if they do similar things with new accounts selling a key book like this

glwts

When it comes to Disney and duck books, the Europe and Asia markets can greatly increase the final realized price on your book. Being the oldest house of the main comic auctions, I would expect Heritage to have the best reach into these collector circles. So while they may ask for the biggest cut of a sale, they may also have the best visibility to maximize your final price.

IE. Heritage may want 15%, while Clink only wants 10, but HAs reach would generate a higher final price, so you come out ahead.

If you talk to the houses I would specifically ask about international buyer numbers (percentage of sales to Europe, to Asia...) and have that factor in.

Heritage is willing to work with people on the commission rates; there is some thought that HA does better with European markets due to the timing of their auctions i.e. its still a reasonable hour over there when they begin compared to say comiclink 

On 12/3/2017 at 8:45 AM, miraclemet said:

When it comes to Disney and duck books, the Europe and Asia markets can greatly increase the final realized price on your book. Being the oldest house of the main comic auctions, I would expect Heritage to have the best reach into these collector circles. So while they may ask for the biggest cut of a sale, they may also have the best visibility to maximize your final price.

IE. Heritage may want 15%, while Clink only wants 10, but HAs reach would generate a higher final price, so you come out ahead.

If you talk to the houses I would specifically ask about international buyer numbers (percentage of sales to Europe, to Asia...) and have that factor in.

Heritage would charge 19.5% (although labeled a "buyer's premium," effectively it comes out of your pocket) if you can get them to waive the 10% seller's premium.  I'm not sure you can easily get them to waive the seller's premium (or give you a slice of the buyer's premium) if you're just sending them a single book.  I would lean toward CLink or ComicConnect.  Although neither will give you the boost you would get from being in a Heritage Signature Auction catalog, they each have only a 10% commission.