• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get Amazing spiderman 361 signed and graded?

5 posts in this topic

So I bought 8 copies of ASM 361 First appearance of carnage along with multiple copies of issues before and after 361 for about $1 each. I would say they range from VF to NM. My idea was to get them signed by Bagley and Michelinie  and then Graded it would run me about $100 total for sigs and graded . The only thing is that for the ones that aren’t NM should I get them pressed or would this not helped I have pictures that o can upload once I get home 

24 minutes ago, Andres Aragon said:

So I bought 8 copies of ASM 361 First appearance of carnage along with multiple copies of issues before and after 361 for about $1 each. I would say they range from VF to NM. My idea was to get them signed by Bagley and Michelinie  and then Graded it would run me about $100 total for sigs and graded . The only thing is that for the ones that aren’t NM should I get them pressed or would this not helped I have pictures that o can upload once I get home 

There is no easy answer to your question. The books need to have flaws that a press can help, otherwise, it is a waste of money. Showing them in the PGM thread will allow us to help (don't post pics in this thread). Then let's say you want to get them pressed, there are more decisions. Do you get it pressed before the signing or after the signing . Also, don't forget pressing will add more calendar time to the whole process, not to mention the cost.

1 hour ago, Andres Aragon said:

Ok will do and I’m doing everything thru NY Comics in April so I would imagine it’s gonna be signed then pressed would this be bad idea 

Pressers who know what they are doing can handle signed books. I've had Joeypost press several of my signed books with no issues.  

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Andres Aragon said:

Ok will do and I’m doing everything thru NY Comics in April so I would imagine it’s gonna be signed then pressed would this be bad idea 

Honestly, do the math. YOURSELF. 

If you can't do the math, you shouldn't even be trying to buy and sell for profit in any kind of complicated way (including pressing, sigs, grading)

Estimate the costs of getting pressed, signed, graded, shipped (both ways), insured with your expected realized selling prices (use GPA and ebay and other auction sites), plus the time it takes while you're money is tied up.  Be conservative and take your own knowledge of grading and pressable defects into account in terms of risk. 

Compare to your expected realizable value if you sold them raw as is.

Also, some people look at just absolute dollar values, and sometimes they look at return on investment (ROI), as in a percentage of profit.  And they have their own preferences there.

** If applicable, don't forget the costs of taxes, selling fees (ebay, auction houses, paypal fees, customs/tariffs/exchange rate if international)

The fact that you haven't even really done the VERY OBVIOUS MATH probably means you're better off NOT doing the pressing, signing, grading and are better off just selling the books raw.  There's too many other things to misjudge a long the way which could lead to losses, while you have very significant GUARANTEED profits now.

If you have a pressing expert tell you they can get a few of them to 9.6 or 9.8, you should just do those. Other wise just take the easy money and pass.