• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Forgeries ?

25 posts in this topic

sad state it is. As an artist myself, I can remember pretty much every drawing I have ever done and we are counting thousands. If I saw it in front of me I would recall, and I am sure the artists in the article are no different and can easily recognize whether a page of art is theirs or a fake.

I find it interesting the seller had several fake pieces.  I think they were skilled at forgeries and found a good way to make some money.  The second legal action was mentioned they shut down their IG account.  They were scammers legitimized by shoddy service providers...

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

looked like all the certificates of authenticity were from PGX. how are they still allowed to keep their doors open? shocking they havent yet been sued out of business. 

Their defense would probably be that they out-source their "authentication" to a 3rd party company and that they don't actually guarantee anything with this authentication - it's the same with Voldemort, if you actually look at their Terms & Conditions you'll find this little gem:

The accuracy of signature verification is not guaranteed.

Yet another reason the whole signature authentication thing is a joke.

19 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Their defense would probably be that they out-source their "authentication" to a 3rd party company and that they don't actually guarantee anything with this authentication - it's the same with Voldemort, if you actually look at their Terms & Conditions you'll find this little gem:

Yet another reason the whole signature authentication thing is a joke.

I thought thats how it is with everyone, no?

I have witnessed some sigs for both voldy & CGC and had to sign a disclaimer making me the one responsible for any forgeries

unless things changed?

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I have witnessed some sigs for both voldy & CGC and had to sign a disclaimer making me the one responsible for any forgeries

unless things changed?

They weren't witnessed signatures they were authenticated signatures which relies on a computer and compares it to known signatures.

25 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

unless things changed?

These weren't witnessed (that I don't trust neither the PGX or Voldemort witnessing service is a different matter altogether), but rather came through the "verified authenticated" service where the sketches/sigs are "authenticated" after the fact.

Voldemort uses CSA Comics for their authentication - a company that used to be the exclusive authenticator for PGX, then switched to working with Voldemort (and subsequently scrubbed all mentions of them working with PGX previously). They've only been around for 4 years or so, appeared out of nowhere and started claiming to be experts - even though they were (and are) complete unknowns within the comic book world.

Another epic scammer meltdown :roflmao:

It was interesting to read that not only was PGX once again proven totally incompetent (or complicit...?), but the accuracy of the other guys’ authentication also came into question.  One more reason I’d never trust an authenticated book from either.

It has been mentioned a few times already but must likely scenario is that the sketches were done on blank sketches which the artists had signed before the sketches were made - so the signatures could be genuine.

if one good thing comes out of this - it would be for artists to stop signing blank sketches. No one else signs a blank piece of paper either because you don’t know what will be added to it later.

1 hour ago, Poka said:

It has been mentioned a few times already but must likely scenario is that the sketches were done on blank sketches which the artists had signed before the sketches were made - so the signatures could be genuine.

if one good thing comes out of this - it would be for artists to stop signing blank sketches. No one else signs a blank piece of paper either because you don’t know what will be added to it later.

when you look at the signatures themselves you have to be asking yourself why / how the submitter got all of these artists drunk before signing. None of the signatures look legit.

Also, have you ever tried to get a blank piece of paper signed by an artist? I can just walk up to Rob Liefeld and say "hey sign this stack of 20 pieces of paper for me and also please sign both of your signatures including the one you only do for artwork." Its possible but I don't think its very likely any of the signatures are legit.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

when you look at the signatures themselves you have to be asking yourself why / how the submitter got all of these artists drunk before signing. None of the signatures look legit.

Also, have you ever tried to get a blank piece of paper signed by an artist? I can just walk up to Rob Liefeld and say "hey sign this stack of 20 pieces of paper for me and also please sign both of your signatures including the one you only do for artwork." Its possible but I don't think its very likely any of the signatures are legit.

I had to go back and look again with closer attention to detail...holy forged signatures.  Ramos’ is the most blatant, but they’re all very sloppily done in their own right.

2 hours ago, Poka said:

Most artists will not sign blank pieces of paper for you - those signatures look totally fake.

7 hours ago, mschmidt said:

These weren't witnessed (that I don't trust neither the PGX or Voldemort witnessing service is a different matter altogether), but rather came through the "verified authenticated" service where the sketches/sigs are "authenticated" after the fact.

Voldemort uses CSA Comics for their authentication - a company that used to be the exclusive authenticator for PGX, then switched to working with Voldemort (and subsequently scrubbed all mentions of them working with PGX previously). They've only been around for 4 years or so, appeared out of nowhere and started claiming to be experts - even though they were (and are) complete unknowns within the comic book world.

And CSA was started by The Roman brothers. One brother still runs CSA and does all the handwriting divining/guessing/soothsaying, the other is the "Signature Program Manager" for the Voldy.