• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Paypal classaction lawsuit
1 1

37 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CycloneComics said:

If you are Canadian and have used Paypal to sell comics this classaction lawsuit might interest you.

http://www.paliareroland.com/practice-areas/details/class-actions/paypal

I noticed a similar discrepancy when paying foreign sellers on ebay.  At checkout I'm given 3 options with 1 being paypal and the third being my CC directly.  When I selected the option for paypal (even though my CC is the default payment method in paypal) it gave me a price that was different than the ebay conversion estimate from the original listing page (higher).  I recalled that some CC's don't charge exchange fees and have more favorable exchange rates and so I decided to try seeing what my CC options would show.  Sure enough, once I selected the direct CC option, the price changed slightly (decreased) but matched more closely within 1 cent to what ebay's estimate was.  The difference on a $25 item from Canadian $ was about $1-2 but you can see where it could easily have been larger on a more expensive item.  From that point on I always made sure to choose the CC option if it is available from the ebay purchase checkout page instead of paypal for foreign transactions.  I'm wondering if that difference is their foreign transaction fee or their advantageous exchange rate.  In either case, it seems they were making more off each transaction than their standard 3% fee.

1 hour ago, jhutton2 said:

My opinion this will wind up being a big hit against PayPal.  They have created many disadvantageous situations for Canadian based buyers/sellers that disproportionately benefit PayPal corporation.

Imagine if Paypal was forced to remove Canadian transactions as a result of the lawsuit.

6 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

After lawyers fees you will get a $25 check,  :jokealert:

I've somehow been apart of many of these class actions ...I got..or received.... one was $35, another $12, yet another $0.62 cents.... the main thing is that problems are corrected. :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've somehow been apart of many of these class actions ...I got..or received.... one was $35, another $12, yet another $0.62 cents.... the main thing is that problems are corrected. :wishluck:

I did a few as well. mot much but I will take what I can get

8 hours ago, comicwiz said:

@VintageComics Roy started a thread if I recall correctly on this conversion issue some time ago. It's good to see someone decided to do go after PayPal about this. It's fee gouging and not right. 

Without question the most evil update to it's terms that Paypal has ever done.

Early on when it happened, I had a ticket opened with Paypal to investigate. Even their front line people had no idea why it was happening and assured me it was a glitch.

It's no glitch. It's another cash grab, lining Paypal's pockets will millions by shaving a small percentage off every transation.

Show me where to sign up.

They are ‪@PaliareRoland ‬ on twitter... haven't seen anything about anyone else being able to join in yet.

I am following them on twitter...if I see anything about others being able to join I will DM them about this thread...I am sure Roy has some helpful info ????

4 hours ago, jhutton2 said:
10 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Imagine if Paypal was forced to remove Canadian transactions as a result of the lawsuit.

If you mean no longer offer PayPal in Canada, that would be a royal PITA

Could you see a major entity like Paypal stop servicing an entire country?

I don't think so.

Further, you guys aren't thinking this through. The problem is not only Canada. It's every country that does not use the $US.

There's no way they're dropping Canada, furthermore this suit could be a benchmark to help other countries fight Paypal as well.

Business is one thing. Greed and fraudulent manipulation of markets is not business.

4 hours ago, CycloneComics said:

They are ‪@PaliareRoland ‬ on twitter... haven't seen anything about anyone else being able to join in yet.

I am following them on twitter...if I see anything about others being able to join I will DM them about this thread...I am sure Roy has some helpful info ????

You should message them as well as post on Twitter.

Any info that can help their case the better and those older threads have a wealth of information in them.

Just now, Artboy99 said:
4 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

If you mean no longer offer PayPal in Canada, that would be a royal PITA

yeah it would

It would but there are so many other companies stepping in it would just be a matter of time to change over to them or another company to take it's place.

The cost of justice is great. The cost of avoiding it is greater.

Big money should not be allowed to steal from people just because it's too convenient.

30 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Could you see a major entity like Paypal stop servicing an entire country?

I don't think so.

Further, you guys aren't thinking this through. The problem is not only Canada. It's every country that does not use the $US.

There's no way they're dropping Canada, furthermore this suit could be a benchmark to help other countries fight Paypal as well.

Business is one thing. Greed and fraudulent manipulation of markets is not business.

Isn't it the seller that get's reamed on this stuff?  Or is paypal getting us both as seller and buyer?  I notice that paypal takes much bigger share out of my international transactions.

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Isn't it the seller that get's reamed on this stuff?  Or is paypal getting us both as seller and buyer?  I notice that paypal takes much bigger share out of my international transactions.

Oh,it gets the buyer! too.

Edited by porcupine48
shush

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Oh,it gets the buyer! too.

So when I charge you $40 USD, you get stuck paying $42 USD, and I end up with $36 USD?