• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voldy and PGX certified fake original art

33 posts in this topic

Voldy and PGX are called out by Rob Leifeld for certifying fake originals.

Jim Lee, Humberto Ramos, and more chime in that art certified as real are also fakes.

I have seen CGC also certify OA, but I believe it must be witnessed, as with Signature Series. Good plan.

Link to story

1 hour ago, wormboy said:

Voldy and PGX are called out by Rob Leifeld for certifying fake originals.

Jim Lee, Humberto Ramos, and more chime in that art certified as real are also fakes.

I have seen CGC also certify OA, but I believe it must be witnessed, as with Signature Series. Good plan.

Link to story

Stupid question, but is Voldy a boardie username? 

Malvin 

5 minutes ago, malvin said:

Stupid question, but is Voldy a boardie username? 

Malvin 

Voldy or Voldemort or "he who shall not be named" is the pseudonym for a competing grading and certification company that has heretofore been banned from being discussed by name on this forum. 

You've got to get out of the artwork section once in a while Malv. 

13 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Voldy or Voldemort or "he who shall not be named" is the pseudonym for a competing grading and certification company that has heretofore been banned from being discussed by name on this forum. 

ah ok.  Now I understand. Thanks Chris!.

heh, considering how busy I am, I shouldn't even be spending any time on the boards!  Besides, I don't collect or read comics anymore so the OA boards make sense.

Malvin

7 hours ago, comix4fun said:

They have their own message board where I go occasionally. This particular article should be a topic of discussion there. If they allow it. 

The crazy part of this story, if true, is that the grading companies are holding their ground, saying the artist can’t possibly remember every piece they do, even whilst the artist is saying they didn’t create the piece.

Seems like a bad strategy.

The seller sold this fake Jim Lee piece on ebay, here is the link to the item and his store. Notice it says sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DC-Comic-Wonder-Woman-Original-Art-Sketch-Signed-Jim-Lee-Justice-League-11X17/253231719796?hash=item3af5c96574:g:9p8AAOSwB3BZ9X3D

He posted screen caps of his ebay performance on instagram that would suggest the item sold for $1100.

He deleted his instagram but here is what I found...

He paid over $250 in fees for items "voldy" rejected and said were fake. A month or two ago he had a J. Scott Campbell piece (that he was selling as of two days ago) that J. Scott Campbell tweeted about being fake. He contacted PGX and was told by PGX that there was no way his items were fake and that PGX wouldn't risk there reputation over authenticating fake artwork.

Thankfully Adams is now saying those certified examples of his art are fake.  He had previously said they were authentic even though the art looked questionable at best and, more tellingly, the signatures looked obviously forged.  I was like, I'm sorry, but I know those are fake even if Neal has gone blind or lost his mind. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

The seller sold this fake Jim Lee piece on ebay, here is the link to the item and his store. Notice it says sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DC-Comic-Wonder-Woman-Original-Art-Sketch-Signed-Jim-Lee-Justice-League-11X17/253231719796?hash=item3af5c96574:g:9p8AAOSwB3BZ9X3D

He posted screen caps of his ebay performance on instagram that would suggest the item sold for $1100.

He deleted his instagram but here is what I found...

He paid over $250 in fees for items "voldy" rejected and said were fake. A month or two ago he had a J. Scott Campbell piece (that he was selling as of two days ago) that J. Scott Campbell tweeted about being fake. He contacted PGX and was told by PGX that there was no way his items were fake and that PGX wouldn't risk there reputation over authenticating fake artwork.

Yeah, if it’s the seller in the story, he was pissed Rob called out the fakes, and thought he should have taken it up with the grading companies lol

15 minutes ago, Twanj said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/01/liefeld-mcfarlane-forged-original-art/

matchesmalone posted the story link in the other thread

the dumbest part is the grading company doubled down on it, and said they’re only verifying the signature after the fact. Not the artwork. Reputation ruined. 

And the label on those Liefeld pieces are clearly marked, under the "Art" designation, as "Authentic Signature & Art". 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Thankfully Adams is now saying those certified examples of his art are fake.  He had previously said they were authentic even though the art looked questionable at best and, more tellingly, the signatures looked obviously forged.  I was like, I'm sorry, but I know those are fake even if Neal has gone blind or lost his mind. 

I agree, they looked fake to me too, and the irony was the guy with the really bad eyes (now) was the same guy that used to absolutely savage wannabes when they would show him their work at a convention.

53 minutes ago, Twanj said:

the dumbest part is the grading company doubled down on it, and said they’re only verifying the signature after the fact. Not the artwork. Reputation ruined. 

34 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

And the label on those Liefeld pieces are clearly marked, under the "Art" designation, as "Authentic Signature & Art". 

And this is why we won't ever see CGC slabbed OA. Many other reasons too, but oooooh the liability attached to authentication these days; people are dropping out not looking to expand their business in this direction!

1 hour ago, Twanj said:

This is only really bad for one of the two companies, as one already had a terrible reputation easily confirmed by the simplest of Google searches.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

And this is why we won't ever see CGC slabbed OA. Many other reasons too, but oooooh the liability attached to authentication these days; people are dropping out not looking to expand their business in this direction!

They don’t “slab” it, but CGC does certify original art. Not published art, I believe, but sketches. I believe the art must be created with a witness present, as with signature series. Not just on comics either - I’ve seen a Frank Miller Batman head sketch certified by CGC (SS).

4 minutes ago, wormboy said:

They don’t “slab” it, but CGC does certify original art. Not published art, I believe, but sketches. I believe the art must be created with a witness present, as with signature series. Not just on comics either - I’ve seen a Frank Miller Batman head sketch certified by CGC (SS).

I was just thinking the same thing. Cgc definitely does certify blank cover sketches. Don’t know about other media though.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

1 hour ago, rogue14 said:

I was just thinking the same thing. Cgc definitely does certify blank cover sketches. Don’t know about other media though.

But not just blank covers, sketches on a piece of paper, like the one I posted above.

I meant published/vintage. What they do certify is less than 1% of the market by piece count or dollar value. It's inconsequential.