• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voldy and PGX certified fake original art

33 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Thankfully Adams is now saying those certified examples of his art are fake.  He had previously said they were authentic even though the art looked questionable at best and, more tellingly, the signatures looked obviously forged.  I was like, I'm sorry, but I know those are fake even if Neal has gone blind or lost his mind. 

Really!?  Oh man, I thought I'd lost my mind when Adams verified those pieces, they were so obviously fake!  All these fakes are definitely not good for the hobby, and authenticators need to be more rigorous in these types of situations, including when they make a mistake.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

In a market based on trust and quality of work, I feel like this may destroy what value vordy has.

The fact that CGC does witnessed sketches is apples and oranges. 

There's a reason why CGC has had a firm stance on not doing 3rd party, after the fact / not direct from the artist authentication.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, Jimmy Linguini said:

The seller sold this fake Jim Lee piece on ebay, here is the link to the item and his store. Notice it says sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DC-Comic-Wonder-Woman-Original-Art-Sketch-Signed-Jim-Lee-Justice-League-11X17/253231719796?hash=item3af5c96574:g:9p8AAOSwB3BZ9X3D

He posted screen caps of his ebay performance on instagram that would suggest the item sold for $1100.

He deleted his instagram but here is what I found...

He paid over $250 in fees for items "voldy" rejected and said were fake. A month or two ago he had a J. Scott Campbell piece (that he was selling as of two days ago) that J. Scott Campbell tweeted about being fake. He contacted PGX and was told by PGX that there was no way his items were fake and that PGX wouldn't risk there reputation over authenticating fake artwork.

That's actually a really good fake. 

COAs are generally worthless, Ones that are physically separated from the item being authenticated are less than worthless. Why would the PGX certificate necessarily go along with any of the pieces? On a related note, I was looking at a signature series piece signed by a deceased artist. But someone cracked it from the slab. They still had the label but CGC won't touch it. 1/3 census is now 1/2 (+1 green label if ever reslabbed). 

Edited by cstojano

5 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

That's actually a really good fake. 

Wait, what?  The Wonder Woman head shot in the link?  :facepalm:

If this crappy looking fake can fool original art fans here on this message board then forgeries are an even bigger problem than I thought.

Scott

If I saw it, I know I'd never purchase it...without needing to grab my glasses.  But...see those thin background pencil lines?  Just wondering now that if a few quick sketch lines inked, brushed or 'slaughtered' by someone else counts as the sketcher's original art?  Sheesh, I take ten years off and it comes to this.  So many collectors though with a voice, so cool.

Edited by williamhlawson
wrong words

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Wait, what?  The Wonder Woman head shot in the link?  :facepalm:

If this crappy looking fake can fool original art fans here on this message board then forgeries are an even bigger problem than I thought.

Scott

Without knowing what the original is supposed to look like and looking at it quick it is, granted, you can tell super quick since you've been inking Jim Lee for almost 30 years now, but for the rest of us and by that terrible distant picture at quick glance, it is a good fake. The rest of them fakes are too obvious 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:49 PM, SquareChaos said:

To be fair, the image on eBay is difficult to see much detail on.

f425c2ade7df8ed903586376419c47b7--drawins-l1600.jpg

I agree, looks like a decent fake. Don’t know much about his artwork, so I’d unfortunately probably fall under the category of not knowing any better. Wouldn’t buy it because of the price point though. 

I generally only get sketches directly from the artists anyway to avoid any issues or those that are already slabbed.