• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store comics...for dummies.

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

So I was wondering if anyone here could let me know where to place the BCW Comic Life Extender within the comic (their website says inside the comic, 1/4th after the front page but other websites say right after the cover and after the last page...confusing (shrug)

Also I have been storing my comics in Mylar 4 mil bags....without boards. Is that ok or should buy some of these (expensive ¬¬) boards? 

Thanks a lot !! 

I never used it, but I think it's popular to put a sheet in between the cover front and back page.  They say replace every 7 years, so there is that as well.  As for boards- YES!   4 mil are pretty thick, but boards boards boards. 

3 hours ago, Joula said:

Hi guys!

So I was wondering if anyone here could let me know where to place the BCW Comic Life Extender within the comic (their website says inside the comic, 1/4th after the front page but other websites say right after the cover and after the last page...confusing (shrug)

Also I have been storing my comics in Mylar 4 mil bags....without boards. Is that ok or should buy some of these (expensive ¬¬) boards? 

Thanks a lot !! 

Short answer?

I put the microchamber paper (LifeExtender) right behind the front cover and in front of the back cover. I also put one in the centerfold. However, this can get expensive. At the very least, I would put one sheet directly behind the front cover.

Yes, you should purchase backing boards.

Also, use the search function to find other threads about this topic.

Hope this helps and welcome to the boards!

2 hours ago, newshane said:

I put the microchamber paper (LifeExtender) right behind the front cover and in front of the back cover. I also put one in the centerfold. However, this can get expensive. At the very least, I would put one sheet directly behind the front cover.

I would have thought the use of MC paper was a good thing, the more the better. However, recently, on the Boards, someone claimed, personal experience, that using too much of the paper can cause staples to detach. I must admit, it makes sense, especially if you use too many sheets.  I think using only one, maybe two is the way to go.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

34 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

However, recently, on the Boards, someone claimed, personal experience, that using too much of the paper can cause staples to detach. I must admit, it makes sense, especially if you use too many sheets.  I think using only one, maybe two is the way to go.

I agree.

I would use a maximum of three. Anything more is overkill. However, I think you'd really have to go overboard to get the staples to detach. Microchamber paper is much thinner than the paper used in comics.

But at the end of the day, one or two should be just fine, really.

Edited by newshane