• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Multiple Covers
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Wanted to get the opinion of some boardies, since I know there is a niche that like to collect books with multiple covers. What do you think is a fair price for a CGC-graded copy of a non-key double-cover? I have a few books with double covers, but I'm sure that niche collectors would value them more than I do, so I'm willing to part with them. I have a 9.4 graded issue of Avengers and an as-yet ungraded issue of Detective (which I will get graded when I find it).

That is hard to gauge...

I've seen an X-Men 125 double on sale for $99, and I bought myself first wendigo raw for$50 plus the cost of grading....they were both 6.5

I don't like to be general, but I guess it really depends on how much $$ you have into them and how non-key they really are.

Sounds like the minimum raw would be $50, that's just my guess and graded depending on the condition $99-$125. Something someone would put on a watch list and buy with an ebay coupon. :wishluck:

Also I don't know much about your issue that is 9.4. 

If that's copper, then I'd just add $50-$75 on to what it normally sells in that grade. Perhaps another $25 tacked on with a best offer option. 

I love them even though I only own one. They're more fun to find in the wild, but in the right condition say 9.4 or NM as you have I think they'll buy or want your copy over any others....

As far as more than they mean to you idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also I don't know much about your issue that is 9.4. 

If that's copper, then I'd just add $50-$75 on to what it normally sells in that grade. Perhaps another $25 tacked on with a best offer option. 

I love them even though I only own one. They're more fun to find in the wild, but in the right condition say 9.4 or NM as you have I think they'll buy or want your copy over any others....

As far as more than they mean to you idk

This is my book: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152627504035?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I'd say it's something you'd normally find in a dollar bin book without the double cover (although maybe not in as nice a condition). The double cover is really the only thing it has going for it. I have a best offer option so I'm trying to figure what the minimum I can expect to get would be.

14 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is my book: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152627504035?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I'd say it's something you'd normally find in a dollar bin book without the double cover (although maybe not in as nice a condition). The double cover is really the only thing it has going for it. I have a best offer option so I'm trying to figure what the minimum I can expect to get would be.

I think you've pegged it right :) I just don't know how long it will "sit". Depending on how much you have into it, I don't know if you'd get the amount you want through other avenues. My first Wendigo happened to be the right place at the right time. My LCS had just got in a collection and I had asked if any Double Covers were in the mix, so I am sure they said, charge him out the WaZoo lol 

I do searches on the bay for double covers every once in a while. I will admit that I usually look for keys.... so the person who would buy yours would probably be a run collector or something other like an impulse purchase. The grade matters so it does have that going for it. When I search, I usually do low to high, so if yours is 9.4 and in the mix with lower grade double covers, they might go for it on impulse :wishluck:

I don't know how long it's been on there, but there haven't been any worthwhile ebay coupons as of late. You have one watcher :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

While I guess double cover collectors have been grabbing them out of the wild for years so I have a biased sample, but I honestly think I only have three, bought randomly (did not know they were double covers), out of a collection of around 25-30,000 books. One day I will maybe do a massive re-bagging and realize I have more. In a market so focused on rarety you would think that would excite people, except I guess you need to be diligent about married covers?

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, the blob said:

While I guess double cover collectors have been grabbing them out of the wild for years so I have a biased sample, but I honestly think I only have three, bought randomly (did not know they were double covers), out of a collection of around 25-30,000 books. One day I will maybe do a massive re-bagging and realize I have more. In a market so focused on rarety you would think that would excite people, except I guess you need to be diligent about married covers?

I'd say you'd have to be careful about key issues, but the 2 double covers that I have that I'm aware of are Avengers 294 and Detective 60-something (one of the Clayface issues). No reason to specifically fake those.