• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 3 pick ups of 2017
7 7

240 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, sagii said:

Great stuff here, all Top 3 worthy. Certainly the toughest year for me as a collector to narrow it down to three, as i had a great one. Was going to pick my Blue Ribbon Comics #9 also, but since my good buddy @gino2paulus2 showed his (and was instrumental in bringing to my attention the copy that eventually became mine :foryou: )i'll pick another book. 

1)The Berk auction was the event this year, i'll never forget that week , I finally scored a Larson copy :banana:(with a cool Octopus cover to boot)!  2)Also got an issue of the elusive 'Our Flag Comics' run in the CC auction before the Berk auction.  3)and lastly @Robot Man shared a tin Bugs Bunny toy a ways back and i've always wondered what it 'was'. Through much nudging from a friend who knows i love 'junk' i started perusing 'Etsy'. I saw and scored a complete version of this 1940's tin toy (with an original box!!). Bugs nor Porky 'talk' anymore, but this was the number one pick of 2017 for me. 

Famous Funnies #83 (Larson copy)j.b.c..jpg

Our Flag Comics #3.jpg

IMG_3900.JPG

Always happy to see people appreciate the whole spectrum of comic character collecting. Great grab on the Bugs toy Corey. Gotta be super rare and the box too? Never seen it. Was nice ce to see where my Bugs figure came from. Get it fixed and talking. In the toy world this is a very good thing as opposed to resto in the comic community.

55 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I'm ashamed -ashamed I say! - to confess that I only managed one book this year (there was another but I threw it back in the water):sorry:

However I did manage to acquire some rather special books at a fraction of average GA comic prices these days - and this has definitely been a year for dealing in fractions as far as I'm concerned! I hope non-one will mind me posting some non-comic items.

Planet #18 was a must have, at a time when generally speaking I 'must havent'.

Sharpe's Birds of Paradise is a huge and amazing facsimile. At the time when it was first produced, lithographic plate reproduction had reached its peak of subtlety and precision. The wonderful illustrations showed these fabulous birds in radiant colour and exquisite detail.

Japan is in some ways even more astonishing. In the late 19th Century Japan was often referred to as a ‘sealed book’ . With an approximate production cost of $200,000 – a staggering sum at the time, equivalent to millions today, it was one of the most expensive books ever produced. 

"The original photographs, all taken in Japan, were individually printed, washed, fixed, toned, dried, cropped, hand-coloured and pasted onto the page – a process that was repeated thousands of times across the sixteen editions of the book. The photographs were albumen prints created using silver salts suspended in egg white, a more time-consuming process than the gelatine and collodion method that had recently been introduced.

"The most distinctive feature of Japan was the hand-colouring of the photographs. This technique had largely been replaced by mechanical colouring, and was already seen as more traditional and prestigious. The Japanese excelled in the hand-colouring of decorative objects such as fans, lanterns and prints, and by the 1880s they were applying this expertise to colouring photographs. It is estimated that a total of 350 individual colourists would have worked for a year on their own part of the work, with each colourist completing, at most, three prints a day."

Planet Comics #18 CGC 8.0 (2).jpg

SBP_002.jpg

SBP_14672974590.jpg

SBP_14672974593.jpg

JPN_13957607720.jpg

JPN_146728815818.jpg

JPN_14672881573.jpg

Very cool info on those 2 books!  Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I'm ashamed -ashamed I say! - to confess that I only managed one book this year (there was another but I threw it back in the water):sorry:

However I did manage to acquire some rather special books at a fraction of average GA comic prices these days - and this has definitely been a year for dealing in fractions as far as I'm concerned! I hope non-one will mind me posting some non-comic items.

Planet #18 was a must have, at a time when generally speaking I 'must havent'.

Sharpe's Birds of Paradise is a huge and amazing facsimile. At the time when it was first produced, lithographic plate reproduction had reached its peak of subtlety and precision. The wonderful illustrations showed these fabulous birds in radiant colour and exquisite detail.

Japan is in some ways even more astonishing. In the late 19th Century Japan was often referred to as a ‘sealed book’ . With an approximate production cost of $200,000 – a staggering sum at the time, equivalent to millions today, it was one of the most expensive books ever produced. 

"The original photographs, all taken in Japan, were individually printed, washed, fixed, toned, dried, cropped, hand-coloured and pasted onto the page – a process that was repeated thousands of times across the sixteen editions of the book. The photographs were albumen prints created using silver salts suspended in egg white, a more time-consuming process than the gelatine and collodion method that had recently been introduced.

"The most distinctive feature of Japan was the hand-colouring of the photographs. This technique had largely been replaced by mechanical colouring, and was already seen as more traditional and prestigious. The Japanese excelled in the hand-colouring of decorative objects such as fans, lanterns and prints, and by the 1880s they were applying this expertise to colouring photographs. It is estimated that a total of 350 individual colourists would have worked for a year on their own part of the work, with each colourist completing, at most, three prints a day."

Planet Comics #18 CGC 8.0 (2).jpg

SBP_002.jpg

SBP_14672974590.jpg

SBP_14672974593.jpg

JPN_13957607720.jpg

JPN_146728815818.jpg

JPN_14672881573.jpg

Congrats on all your purchases, but the Birds of Paradise and Japan are gorgeous! (worship)