• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 3 pick ups of 2017
7 7

240 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

I picked up a bunch of great Cole covers and PCH books this year but I think my first 3 Ace books are my favorites.

2BC14BE1-4C76-4BDB-84E4-5D36C7435508.jpeg

EB5306DD-1AD0-4353-9715-2FDFB87595F6.jpeg

2ED62115-02C8-4984-B1A6-941191D75816.jpeg

I picked up a bunch of Ace comics this year but they definitely pale compared to the three you have posted.  What awesome covers in really tremendous shape.  Congrats on a great year of collecting!

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Kinda hard to remember what I got this year. Two of my favorite books I was able to upgrade and one I got to replace. The Superman of America contest ring.

I had one and foolishly sold it. Got GREAT money for it at the time but missed it. I was able to obtain another and am hanging on to it. One of the top premium rings. Was offered as a contest prize in one 1939 issue of Action comics. You couldn't send in for it you had to win it.

comamericasbest7.jpg

comcrimesuspense22.jpg

ringsupermanprize.jpg

:golfclap:

2 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks to @Junkdrawer for launching this thread. So many great books here on the boards -- such a satisfying stroll through the GA of funny books!

I've whittled down my 2017 purchases to these 3:

(1) Science Comics #4. Arrived just in time for 2017! Berk collection and highest graded. The photo doesn't begin to do justice to the incredible cover gloss.

(2) Planet Comics #6. Hard to find in any grade. Berk collection. My first Larson. Fanged bird monster and lots of tiny people bots.

(3) Wonder Comics #2. Fox's second outing and "last" issue. Lou Fine and a hypnotized giant ape. Nuff said.

OAXUwd9.jpg

dNquVJb.jpg

YfylbA4.jpg

:x science 4...!!:whee:

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Kinda hard to remember what I got this year. Two of my favorite books I was able to upgrade and one I got to replace. The Superman of America contest ring.

I had one and foolishly sold it. Got GREAT money for it at the time but missed it. I was able to obtain another and am hanging on to it. One of the top premium rings. Was offered as a contest prize in one 1939 issue of Action comics. You couldn't send in for it you had to win it.

comamericasbest7.jpg

comcrimesuspense22.jpg

ringsupermanprize.jpg

:golfclap:Love em, RM! Early Superman pieces are always cool to see!

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comamericasbest7.jpg

comcrimesuspense22.jpg

ringsupermanprize.jpg

Holy cow! That CSS 22 look minty. I imagine some sweet trade bait was needed to procure that!!!

On 12/9/2017 at 9:20 AM, BarristerBaker said:

1. Prize Frankenstein - no restoration; outside of one issue that's a (way-under-graded) 3.5, all are 5.0 or better

Anyone catch this?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Prize-Frankenstein-Comics-1-CLASSIC-COVER-VERY-SCARCE-UNRESTORED-NICE-COPY/322920169013?hash=item4b2f8abe35:g:f20AAOSwEaBaJFgC#vi__app-cvip-panel

Finally some love for Frankie!

Not enough personal free time to enjoy purchasing books as much as usual, however I did manage to pick up these two Captain Marvel Jr. issues I've been searching for quite awhile.  Beautiful books in hand to make me feel very fortunate this past year.  :cloud9:

Captain Marvel Jr. 8.jpg

Captain Marvel Jr. 41.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

18 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

Yep, though I have a copy, I thought about making a run at that. Nice looking copy of a tough book.  Frank books have jumped in price in the last 24 months or so. Three years ago, I was able to track down nice copies at a good value. They’re tough to find now and deals are unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Not enough personal free time to enjoy purchasing books as much as usual, however I did manage to pick up these two Captain Marvel Jr. issues I've been searching for quite awhile.  Beautiful books in hand to make me feel very fortunate this past year.  :cloud9:

Captain Marvel Jr. 8.jpg

Captain Marvel Jr. 41.jpg

Sweet!