• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wow wow Moebius, Peyo, Herge and more..

7 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

so if you haven't used comic art tracker yet, you should.

Never would have seen this awesome selection before.

and check out the price estimates.

If you have bid at auctions with Huberty Breyne, please share your experience.

auction link

MOEBIUS-MajorFatal-Planche4-30x23,4-LD.jpg

PEYO-JohanEtPirlouit-LafluteASixSchtroumpfs-PlancheAssemblage57-39,1x27,9-LD.jpg

GIRAUD-Blueberry-LeCanyon-97,81x60-LD.jpg

HERGE-TintinEtMilou-LeTempleDuSoleil-Planche5Février1948-10,7x5,9-LD.jpg

There's also a pretty iconic page by Enki Bilal from the great "Hunting Party" graphic novel.

Nice art for sure, but relatively minor compared to the big guns brought out in the past by the major auction houses for BD art, Sotheby's, Christie's, Artcurial, et al. 

Haven't used Huberty Breyne before (although came close once when they were still Petits Papiers), so can't speak about them. But my experiences with French auction houses, in general, have been less than stellar. I’ve been told by other collectors of Franco-Belgian art that this is not unusual. So fair or not, I’m not especially eager to try my luck again, even if HB, for all I know, is perfectly fine.

5 hours ago, Nexus said:

Haven't used Huberty Breyne before (although came close once when they were still Petits Papiers), so can't speak about them. But my experiences with French auction houses, in general, have been less than stellar. I’ve been told by other collectors of Franco-Belgian art that this is not unusual. So fair or not, I’m not especially eager to try my luck again, even if HB, for all I know, is perfectly fine.

I can't tell you how professional they are for shipping (even if my own experience as a French collector would incite me to be quite cautious), but I would advise you:

1) to find someone in France or Belgium to see the art you're interested in, to check it with his own eyes and maybe send photos to you (I already saw comic art at H&B exhibitions with original paste-ups or tears that were not disclosed on the catalog  - and H&B are far from being an exception for that -, and also piles of art on tables where anybody could come and touch anything with his somewhat dirty hands)

2) to find someone to get the art and send it (or bring it) to you in the US

7 hours ago, Nexus said:

Nice art for sure, but relatively minor compared to the big guns brought out in the past by the major auction houses for BD art, Sotheby's, Christie's, Artcurial, et al. 

2 hours ago, NicoV said:

I can't tell you how professional they are for shipping (even if my own experience as a French collector would incite me to be quite cautious), but I would advise you:

1) to find someone in France or Belgium to see the art you're interested in, to check it with his own eyes and maybe send photos to you (I already saw comic art at H&B exhibitions with original paste-ups or tears that were not disclosed on the catalog  - and H&B are far from being an exception for that -, and also piles of art on tables where anybody could come and touch anything with his somewhat dirty hands)

2) to find someone to get the art and send it (or bring it) to you in the US

I haven't used HB specifically either, but my experience with French, Italian, German auction houses, business sellers (think Romitaman-ish level inventory/web sites), and individual sellers has all been very hit and miss. Especially when it comes to what we all consider standard* professionalism in communications, timeliness, and quality of packing. NicoV's recommendation 2) above should be utilized if at all possible.

Don't have a link handy, but nobody should ever forget Bird's posted horrible experience with a $7k Mignola win from Cornette de Saint Cyr (of Paris).

*Not that all US sellers are much better at this, but the average is much higher.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:06 AM, vodou said:

Don't have a link handy, but nobody should ever forget Bird's posted horrible experience with a $7k Mignola win from Cornette de Saint Cyr (of Paris).

Thanks for keeping the warning out there vodou. Cornette de Saint Cyr has remained totally unresponsive and now ignores my emails. I have had some assistance from a boardie who resides in France but they really just ignore him as well. Apparently FedEx denied the claim and Cornette de Saint Cyr tells me they will check again with FedEx. Then nothing. They are unethical and immoral. They also just about killed my 30 year interest in OA by ruining the 2nd most expensive piece that I ever bought, one that I had been after for a few years.

I was just wondering why I am in a foul bit of a mood. I was like "work was fine, family fine, why am I pizzy?" Then I remembered that I had posted this and it triggered some angst. I haven't sent the piece for resto as I keep thinking it may be needed as evidence of some sort but that is delusional, they have zero intention of admitting fault much less compensation for negligent business practices.

Definitely proceed with caution with cornette de saint cyr. I will always say the whole name of the negligent packing, fee stealing, art destroying cornette de saint cyr.