• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sean Murphy selling new Batman White Knight art tomorrow.

116 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

When I read that I remember thinking "Oh, I'm sure fans love this version of the clone saga."

I didn't. I thought it made sense. After all, Batman has had  multiple versions of Robin. Why wouldn't Joker have multiple versions of Harley? The idea being that Joker would take mentally unstable young women, and warp them through psychological manipulation into creating this character for him. Maybe as a weird homage to batman and Robin.

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I didn't. I thought it made sense. After all, Batman has had  multiple versions of Robin. Why wouldn't Joker have multiple versions of Harley? The idea being that Joker would take mentally unstable young women, and warp them through psychological manipulation into creating this character for him. Maybe as a weird homage to batman and Robin.

I guess you could read it that way, but in the book he literally didn't notice she was a different person. At least, that was the hand waving explanation I read, but I stopped at issue #2.

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I guess you could read it that way, but in the book he literally didn't notice she was a different person. At least, that was the hand waving explanation I read, but I stopped at issue #2.

Well, everyone has stopped at issue #2. Because Issue #3 only came out today. B|

And, the fact that Joker doesn't initially realize she is a different person adds to the point. I'd even say that the fact the crazy Harley gets pushed out of the picture by the sane Harley is a commentary on Joker's own psychological change in the book. He went from being psychotic Joker to being "Sane" Joker. I'm not sure if Sean Murphy intended it to be that layered (he may have just thought a saner Harley worked better for the story as a foil for Joker).

That being said, I am not buying any art from this. I am on an art diet for at least 6 moths after splurging the past month on stuff.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, everyone has stopped at issue #2. Because Issue #3 only came out today. B|

And, the fact that Joker doesn't initially realize she is a different person adds to the point. 

That makes no sense to me, but if you are enjoying it I hope you continue to. I personally found the writing quite bad, but the art was interesting.

2 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

That makes no sense to me, but if you are enjoying it I hope you continue to. I personally found the writing quite bad, but the art was interesting.

The Art is pretty great, actually. But, I agree with you that the story isn't going to have the long lasting impact that Dark Knight Returns, or Court of Owls, Or Hush, or Year One did.

Like I said, I think The Batman Who Laughs, is going to be a monster character (literally and figuratively) in the DC universe for a long time, so I feel lucky I got a page from his Metal origin story. Thanks Felix!

17 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Art is pretty great, actually. But, I agree with you that the story isn't going to have the long lasting impact that Dark Knight Returns, or Court of Owls, Or Hush, or Year One did.

Like I said, I think The Batman Who Laughs, is going to be a monster character (literally and figuratively) in the DC universe for a long time, so I feel lucky I got a page from his Metal origin story. Thanks Felix!

You're welcome!

I hung out with Albert Moy a couple of weeks ago when he visited SF. He had just sold two Jim Lee covers featuring BWL. For, um...quite a bit. He had no idea the character would become this popular.

Long term, no idea if this character sticks. But for now, it's a big hit with fans.

(On a separate note, fans are responding to Marvel's new Cosmic Ghost Rider, as well. As I don't read Big 2 superhero books, I'd have no idea if I didn't sell the art!)

I’m a fan of this book and of Sean. Very talented guy, taking a new approach to tried and true characters. Always welcome in my book!

God bless him if he can get those prices for some of the pages. There are certain pages I would go to the mat for and others that I think have rather pedestrian content despite his talent. 

There should be more flexibility in pricing, with some pedestrian pages priced accordingly but that’s just IMO. If he would rather hold on to pages than sell them at lower prices, it’s up to him. 

I’ll be reading, and hopefully will grab the right page at some point. 

JH

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

Bang for your buck, those character concept pages seem to be a great deal.

Those will wind up in an "Extras" at some point in a TPB or something and will be published (just a guess, but it happens a lot)

at 800 now they don't seem that great of a deal.  

9 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

BWL will certainly be around, but  I cant help to think that is just a rip off of Judge Death. 

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

BWL will certainly be around, but  I cant help to think that is just a rip off of Judge Death. 

He feels just so much like a second Joker that he seems unnecessary long term. He is awesome right now in the special crossover event, but what would you do with him later on? Unless he goes back to where he came from or off to some different universe.

I passed on grabbing the OA from the origin because I felt like I'd rather have an epic Joker piece at some point instead of Joker Batman.

8 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

He’s not even close to Judge Death. Abd I’m as massive a Dredd fan as there is. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5 hours ago, Dokstarr said:

He feels just so much like a second Joker that he seems unnecessary long term. He is awesome right now in the special crossover event, but what would you do with him later on? Unless he goes back to where he came from or off to some different universe.

I passed on grabbing the OA from the origin because I felt like I'd rather have an epic Joker piece at some point instead of Joker Batman.

He’s a Batman/Joker amalgamation. 

Which could have been handled poorly, but it’s brilliant in writing and design. 

22 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

He’s not even close to Judge Death. Abd I’m as massive a Dredd fan as there is. 

One is leader of the Dark Judges  an alternate dimension called  Deadworld and the other is the leader of the  Dark Knights from The Dark Multiverse.

No similarities whatsoever?  hm

jdbwl.jpg

Edited by Matches_Malone

3 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

One is leader of the Dark Judges  an alternate dimension called  Deadworld and the other is the leader of the  Dark Knights from The Dark Multiverse.

No similarities whatsoever?  hm

jdbwl.jpg

Good job! I've not reading the book or up on anything relevant to this discussion at all (except that SM art is CRAY-ZEE priced at source) but MM...point well made lol