• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sean Murphy selling new Batman White Knight art tomorrow.

116 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

The only way to collect for me!

Really that's the best way to collect anything.  A lot of things in the world ebb and flow and what is hot now, will probably cool off down the road.  Art can definitely be an outlier of that scenario.  The da Vinci painting that went for WAY more money than projected is proof that art can definitely defy the odds.  I believe everyone is in agreement on the fact that Sean has found a way to command the prices he wants and he's able to secure it, so bravo to him on doing it.  Hell,  I'm sure any of us would love to be able to quadruple our pay for doing what we do.  Maybe Sean should teach me a class on negotiating.  Regardless, I just really hope the people buying this art are true fans, because it just seems to be a LOT of hype on a book that for now is getting a luke warm reception and buying these pages in hopes that you will cash in on Sean's work is ,to me, a long shot at best.  Here's to the collector that lands that da Vinci level comic page though!

15 hours ago, staffman said:

Really that's the best way to collect anything.  A lot of things in the world ebb and flow and what is hot now, will probably cool off down the road.  Art can definitely be an outlier of that scenario.  The da Vinci painting that went for WAY more money than projected is proof that art can definitely defy the odds.  I believe everyone is in agreement on the fact that Sean has found a way to command the prices he wants and he's able to secure it, so bravo to him on doing it.  Hell,  I'm sure any of us would love to be able to quadruple our pay for doing what we do.  Maybe Sean should teach me a class on negotiating.  Regardless, I just really hope the people buying this art are true fans, because it just seems to be a LOT of hype on a book that for now is getting a luke warm reception and buying these pages in hopes that you will cash in on Sean's work is ,to me, a long shot at best.  Here's to the collector that lands that da Vinci level comic page though!

I don't begrudge SGM for asking his prices and getting them as that is his right in an open trade market. Same goes for Capullo. I am very happy that the character I focus my collection around doesn’t were all black (or very dark grey) as I would have to admit it would be frustrating to see artists charging the apparently exorbitant Batman tax on new art, especially if I really enjoyed the story and art. I buy what I love and am willing to pay a little more if it is at the top of my wish list but the prices I am seeing are just too much. I’d walk away as my rational sense would prevail over my collecting passion. I refuse to look at art as in investment – that’s a trap far too easy to fall into when convincing yourself you have a rational reason to make a passionate and ill-advised purchase. Been there, done that.

10 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I don't begrudge SGM for asking his prices and getting them as that is his right in an open trade market. Same goes for Capullo. I am very happy that the character I focus my collection around doesn’t were all black (or very dark grey) as I would have to admit it would be frustrating to see artists charging the apparently exorbitant Batman tax on new art, especially if I really enjoyed the story and art. I buy what I love and am willing to pay a little more if it is at the top of my wish list but the prices I am seeing are just too much. I’d walk away as my rational sense would prevail over my collecting passion. I refuse to look at art as in investment – that’s a trap far too easy to fall into when convincing yourself you have a rational reason to make a passionate and ill-advised purchase. Been there, done that.

There are definitely at least two tiers of collectors active here. I think the majority probably consider the investment side of things, but I also never see myself moving into that realm of the hobby. If I was a Batman collector, I wouldn't be a Capullo or SGM Batman collector right now - not that I dislike their art, quite the opposite, just the bang for my buck is terrible on that front. When I stack up what I could get for the potential cost there versus other options... it's not even a contest.

Regarding the Sean Murphy issues, it's becoming more and more of a sad joke.

Hoping to get, or even ask, the same rate than Greg Capullo who had proved during many years on a Batman series he was a very strong and persistent artist in terms of storytelling and respecting deadlines, and managed with Scott Snyder to keep their Batman series in the Top 3 of sales all the time...and succeeded in telling very interesting stories, that's not only a delusion of grandeur, that's being an immature person.   

Comparing himself to Frank Miller before to have published a single issue of his series, that's too laughable to even be commented.

Now, when checking the immature dialogues from "Batman White Knight", the lack of real storytelling, the awfully poor character design of batman's rogue gallery at the end of issue 2, that's another story. And I must say I laughed when I read the last pages of issue 2 with the Mad Hatter/Clayface explanation for general mind control. I was already raising eyebrows when the Joker explained in the first issue why he was raiding the factory.   And isn't there anyone who feels the TV interview of issue 2 lack any sense of writer's charisma ? This is not even a bad copy of the ones Miller Did, it's just flat.  

I have followed Murphy's work for 5 years, and really enjoyed it. Even collected art from the Wake and especially Tokyo Ghost. More than 10 pages in total. and I was very passionate about his work. So seeing this happening is painful in some way. But as soon as I read his first tweet comparing himself to Frank Miller and explaining he was gonna keep the best pages of the book (many months before it was even published), I knew that some frog wanted to be a cow.  

Sadly, I can't find one single page from the two first issues of "Batman White Knight", who could have the intensity and the quality of storytelling found in Tokyo Ghost or Joe the barbarian. That's when you know for sure the writers of these books greatly help the narration. 

I can't even comprehend how the DC editor of this book allowed Sean Murphy to publish it as it is. And I'm baffled by the way CBR and other websites seem to enjoy the book. I've seen them much more lucid that that for most of the books they review. 

Free market is what it is.  If someone want's to pay insane amounts for the works of a (seemingly egomaniacal) newbie, please let them.  It cuts into a budget, even if the budget is large and somewhat free spending.  To compare oneself to a great, well that's a joke.  Not a Killing Joke, nowhere near, but a joke nonetheless. 

8 minutes ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Regarding the Sean Murphy issues, it's becoming more and more of a sad joke.

Hoping to get, or even ask, the same rate than Greg Capullo who had proved during many years on a Batman series he was a very strong and persistent artist in terms of storytelling and respecting deadlines, and managed with Scott Snyder to keep their Batman series in the Top 3 of sales all the time...and succeeded in telling very interesting stories, that's not only a delusion of grandeur, that's being an immature person.   

Comparing himself to Frank Miller before to have published a single issue of his series, that's too laughable to even be commented.

Now, when checking the immature dialogues from "Batman White Knight", the lack of real storytelling, the awfully poor character design of batman's rogue gallery at the end of issue 2, that's another story. And I must say I laughed when I read the last pages of issue 2 with the Mad Hatter/Clayface explanation for general mind control. I was already raising eyebrows when the Joker explained in the first issue why he was raiding the factory.   And isn't there anyone who feels the TV interview of issue 2 lack any sense of writer's charisma ? This is not even a bad copy of the ones Miller Did, it's just flat.  

I have followed Murphy's work for 5 years, and really enjoyed it. Even collected art from the Wake and especially Tokyo Ghost. More than 10 pages in total. and I was very passionate about his work. So seeing this happening is painful in some way. But as soon as I read his first tweet comparing himself to Frank Miller and explaining he was gonna keep the best pages of the book (many months before it was even published), I knew that some frog wanted to be a cow.  

Sadly, I can't find one single page from the two first issues of "Batman White Knight", who could have the intensity and the quality of storytelling found in Tokyo Ghost or Joe the barbarian. That's when you know for sure the writers of these books greatly help the narration. 

I can't even comprehend how the DC editor of this book allowed Sean Murphy to publish it as it is. And I'm baffled by the way CBR and other websites seem to enjoy the book. I've seen them much more lucid that that for most of the books they review. 

Artists are free to say what they want, do what they want, ask for what they want...but at a certain point, they risk this sort of backlash. Is it worth it? We'll find out. For now, it does look like he's moving at least some pieces at his prices. So in the short term, at least, it looks like the planning and the hype was moderately successful.

On December 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Comic Art Factory said:

I'm baffled by the way CBR and other websites seem to enjoy the book. I've seen them much more lucid that that for most of the books they review. 

So I finally got to read the first 3 issues this weekend, and as harsh as you were your post mirrors my thoughts. Most of the art is very good, but there are some wonky things here and there. (So many great artists absolutely butcher drawing killer Croc.)

The storytelling however is awful. I understand it is out of continuity, but the way the characters are randomly inserted with back stories apparently completely different from canon is bad. I have no idea how someone could think this is good. It is glaring when he tries to copy writing techniques from Miller and Synder and fails miserably. 

2 Harley's? People think this "Neo Joker" is an original and awesome character? It is amazing how he has made people buy into the hype. This guy in the story isn't even The Joker, just a character loosely based on him.

I think the story criticism for BMWK is getting a little off topic. I plead guilty to some of that. I think his art is excellent, and very stylish. The overall story may not necessarily have a lasting impact, but I think the "two Harley's" concept may have some staying power. So, pages featuring either, or especially both, of them may actually wind up being valuable.

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

So I finally got to read the first 3 issues this weekend, and as harsh as you were your post mirrors my thoughts. Most of the art is very good, but there are some wonky things here and there. (So many great artists absolutely butcher drawing killer Croc.)

The storytelling however is awful. I understand it is out of continuity, but the way the characters are randomly inserted with back stories apparently completely different from canon is bad. I have no idea how someone could think this is good. It is glaring when he tries to copy writing techniques from Miller and Synder and fails miserably. 

2 Harley's? People think this "Neo Joker" is an original and awesome character? It is amazing how he has made people buy into the hype. This guy in the story isn't even The Joker, just a character loosely based on him.

I've been pretty restrained when I've spoken about it, I don't want to rain on any one else's good time. But... yeah. I hope he didn't lose Snyders number.

Edited by SquareChaos

A lot of that artwork on his site though was sold privately before being made public though to a group of collectors by invite only. Besides the sketches, and prelims it's hard to say if those sold pages would still be marked as such if not for that small group.

i didn't read the issues yet, but i still think SGM's art is wonderful.....prices are what they are, but i like it a lot when people say the story isn't as good as miller's or snyder's art....i mean, are you saying that snyder's run is that good?

the court of owls reveals bruce's hidden brother??? OMG, that reminded me of old TV shows from the 80's, with the bad evil hidden twin

death in the famiily??? joker has never been so lame, he wasn't a threat at all, and the story was unuseful

year zero was over exagerated, and i don't want to go to the bat-rabbit armor, with batman being good old 2 pack smoking gordon

IMO, snyder's run was at best average, and in batman's history, i've seen a lot of better run's that this one....robinson did better, moench did better, a lot of writers did better tha that, but for some (marketing) reason, it is considered as an historic run

as i said, i didn't read white knight yet, but it can't be worse than snyder

7 hours ago, visarspike said:

i didn't read the issues yet, but i still think SGM's art is wonderful.....prices are what they are, but i like it a lot when people say the story isn't as good as miller's or snyder's art....i mean, are you saying that snyder's run is that good?

the court of owls reveals bruce's hidden brother??? OMG, that reminded me of old TV shows from the 80's, with the bad evil hidden twin

death in the famiily??? joker has never been so lame, he wasn't a threat at all, and the story was unuseful

year zero was over exagerated, and i don't want to go to the bat-rabbit armor, with batman being good old 2 pack smoking gordon

IMO, snyder's run was at best average, and in batman's history, i've seen a lot of better run's that this one....robinson did better, moench did better, a lot of writers did better tha that, but for some (marketing) reason, it is considered as an historic run

Let us know when you've read it - maybe you'll enjoy it. There is a thread I created in the Modern forum for a series discussion but there really hasn't been much of that as that forum is primarily obsessed with 'rare modern variants.'

I've not read any of the series, but am interested with all the hype.  I travel quite a bit for work and whenever I have down time before heading back to the airport I always try to hit up a local shop.  The last two I've visited recently (Madison, WI and Atlanta, GA), I made a point to inquire about the local reception of this title and both times I've been met with high levels of "freak out" excitement.  Admittedly, not a sample size to warrant any extrapolation but thought it interesting nonetheless.  I will say that for my part, I do think the art quite nice.

17 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

A lot of that artwork on his site though was sold privately before being made public though to a group of collectors by invite only. Besides the sketches, and prelims it's hard to say if those sold pages would still be marked as such if not for that small group.

Just to clarify, the art for #1 was sold at the invite event Sean held during NYCC, which was about 1/3 buy-it-now and 2/3 auctioned live. The art from #2 and #3 that are currently marked "sold" were sold via the website on a first come-first served basis, with maybe a couple pages sold at Sean's table at NYCC the day after the invite event. The prices being paid on the #2 and #3 OA are not necessarily only from the uber-fan group. Please note, this is not an endorsement of the pricing.

9 hours ago, visarspike said:

court of owls was good.  the rest was meh.  tom king is writing some good stories though.  all have been strong.

you should read the white knight and let us know what you think.    

8 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

court of owls was good.  the rest was meh.  tom king is writing some good stories though.  all have been strong.

you should read the white knight and let us know what you think.    

I really loved Sheriff of Babylon by King, so maybe I'll check some of that out.