• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Cat #14 or Approved Comics #12
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I am having a hard time deciding which book to get, Black Cat #14 or Approved Comics #12 (Northwest Mounties Matt Baker Cover). Both comics are in FINE condition and very clean. I would ideally love to get both but its just not in the budget right now. So let me know what your thoughts are, thanks!

PS-Scans are not of the books in question rather ones I pulled from the web just for reference.

0.jpg

1293643-approved_12.jpg

I'd take the Black Cat.

Original stories from 1948 vs. reprints in 1954.

Black Cat has two 8-page stories by the cover artist vs only 2 Baker pages inside the Approved

Title character with title character stories vs a grab-bag of diverse features

That's my bias but I'd much prefer the Black Cat.

3 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I'd take the Black Cat.

Original stories from 1948 vs. reprints in 1954.

Black Cat has two 8-page stories by the cover artist vs only 2 Baker pages inside the Approved

Title character with title character stories vs a grab-bag of diverse features

That's my bias but I'd much prefer the Black Cat.

Thanks for the feedback Scrooge! I actually couldn't wait and had a similar epiphany to your justification lol. I decided on the Black Cat for now and leaving it open to getting the approved later on. That Matt Baker cover is just so pretty but I have a Northwest Mounties #4  coming in at the moment so it also does seem redundant to get the same story inside.

When I saw this I figured I'd be in the minority. I'd go Black Cat too. For all the reasons listed and because it is a good read as well (for those who actually read their comics). Not to mention, it's a great Halloween cover too. Maybe my favorite Black Cat. 

Now if you are talking "investment" the Approved would be a better choice I think. Baker is HOT and this is very undervalued I believe. 

I get what sunburst says. He means it is not a romance cover. I totally disagree though. A lot of the stuff Baker did for St John other than romance is in many cases just as good or in some cases even better than the romance stuff and a lot more readable. Just look at that beautiful leggy babe. Come on...

If I were you, I'd save up my money and buy both!

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

When I saw this I figured I'd be in the minority. I'd go Black Cat too. For all the reasons listed and because it is a good read as well (for those who actually read their comics). Not to mention, it's a great Halloween cover too. Maybe my favorite Black Cat. 

Now if you are talking "investment" the Approved would be a better choice I think. Baker is HOT and this is very undervalued I believe. 

I get what sunburst says. He means it is not a romance cover. I totally disagree though. A lot of the stuff Baker did for St John other than romance is in many cases just as good or in some cases even better than the romance stuff and a lot more readable. Just look at that beautiful leggy babe. Come on...

If I were you, I'd save up my money and buy both!

I couldn't help myself, I just bought both haha! I'll figure out the funds. Just couldn't pass both of them up! Thanks for the input Robot!:bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

(thumbsu

Be sure to post it when you have it. It'd beat mine by a country mile -

Black Cat 14.jpg

I have a scan from the seller. Now that I paid for it its official I can send you them. I'll update with my own once in hand but here they are for now!

scan10017.jpg

scan10018.jpg

The Baker cover is original to the Approved, right?

With Baker romance going through the roof, anything with a Baker babe on the cover is heating up. Black Cat is pretty flat in terms of interest.

1 minute ago, rjpb said:

The Baker cover is original to the Approved, right?

With Baker romance going through the roof, anything with a Baker babe on the cover is heating up. Black Cat is pretty flat in terms of interest.

Yes it is an original cover for Approved. The interior is a reprint of stories from Northwest Mounties #4 which I also have coming my way in a VG lol. I ended up just buying both, the temptation was too great. Black Cat #14 to me is just such a great cover investment potential aside. Halloween has also been my favorite holiday as a kid and the look and feel of this cover just does it for me!