• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Covers

18 posts in this topic

Highest grade on the label yes, usually the covers underneath get the higher grade. It might make a difference the gap in grades of top and bottom cover, also how many covers are we talking.... got a pic or a link?

Just now, Shadow Images said:

Its a double cover with the top being 3.5 and the bottom being 4.0. The grade listed on the case is 3.5

That's weird...

I thought they always took the higher, maybe they couldn't justify the outer looking bad and a 4.0

I'm with you, that's not a big enough gap to justify a lower label.

O.o

5 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

Also what does double covers usually add to the price of books?

Depending on whether it is a key...

If not one then I'd say $50-75 bump on top of whatever grade it is in. Maybe with a best offer option if possible

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Depending on whether it is a key...

If not one then I'd say $50-75 bump on top of whatever grade it is in. Maybe with a best offer option if possible

Actually it may not be as simple as stated above, but I would say a certain percentage of the the sale price of the book and grade in question....

Maybe 25% these are all just estimates of what I've purchased and what I've considered to be be reasonable when shopping for double covers.....

Take with a grain of salt? :$

There was an example on the Boards where a double cover graded lower than either cover. The Reason.................Page Quality. The PQ was Tan to Off White, something like that, and in that case CGC has a grade threshhold. I believe the threshhold is roughly 9.0 .  I'm sure someone can find it and show us this example again. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Images said:

Also what does double covers usually add to the price of books?

depends a lot on the book.

How rare is it?

Is it a key?

Golden age, Silver, bronze, copper modern?

Grade of the book?

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There was an example on the Boards where a double cover graded lower than either cover. The Reason.................Page Quality. The PQ was Tan to Off White, something like that, and in that case CGC has a grade threshhold. I believe the threshhold is roughly 9.0 .  I'm sure someone can find it and show us this example again. 

That's my book.  Outer cover = 9.0, inner cover 9.6

5a282fded895a_hulkdoublecover.jpg.540417d3ddb9086971431be1b8384639.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork