• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mistake
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Congratulations on having experienced what is known in the field of cognitive neuroscience as 'one-trial learning'.  It's a good thing the damaged book was as valuable as ASM #25, as the magnitude of the mistake is sufficient to drive home the lesson after only a single instance to come up with a foolproof way to remove comics from their storage bags, and never deviate from it.

25 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Congratulations on having experienced what is known in the field of cognitive neuroscience as 'one-trial learning'.  It's a good thing the damaged book was as valuable as ASM #25, as the magnitude of the mistake is sufficient to drive home the lesson after only a single instance to come up with a foolproof way to remove comics from their storage bags, and never deviate from it.

One simple solution is that tape belongs nowhere near comics, comic bags, etc.

I've carefully tucked in flaps ever since I started buying comic bags around 1972/1973.

For M2s I use the 3m post-it flags, or equivalents.  I've received M2s from other collectors where they have neatly snipped the corners off the flaps so that they can be carefully tucked behind the support board.

When I get books in, the first thing I do is get rid of all the @&*$% tape, which is sometimes quite the chore.

One of the worst practices I still occasionally see is people sending books in open top mylar snugs - the books usually fly out the open top during the rigors of shipping, and frequently engage any tape that is holding the cardboard sandwich in place.  Another bad practice is shipping books in the thinnest mylites - those frequently split the sides or bottoms of the bags out in the rigors of shipping.

I was at a Buffalo show years ago and a dealer called me over to his table.  He had a HG early X-Men he wanted to show me as he knew I collect them.

He pulls the book off the wall, was a little too quick to pull the book out of the bag and gave the cover a sweet, sweet tape pull.  I cringed.

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

No kidding.  I've always played fast and loose with tape and last weekend a bit got stuck smack dab in the middle of ASM #39.  My favorite comic book cover ever.  I almost died of a heart attack when I peeled it off and it left a couple small white spots just below the Goblin's glider.  Of all the dozens of times tape got stuck to a cover it never peeled off color until this issue, the most beautiful of all comic book covers.  Luckily it is a low grade copy and now I have an excuse to buy a new (nicer) one.   

But yeah, it was sufficiently traumatizing and I'll never ever, ever, ever mess around with tape again.  Never.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

One simple solution is that tape belongs nowhere near comics, comic bags, etc.

I've carefully tucked in flaps ever since I started buying comic bags around 1972/1973.

For M2s I use the 3m post-it flags, or equivalents.  I've received M2s from other collectors where they have neatly snipped the corners off the flaps so that they can be carefully tucked behind the support board.

When I get books in, the first thing I do is get rid of all the @&*$% tape, which is sometimes quite the chore.

One of the worst practices I still occasionally see is people sending books in open top mylar snugs - the books usually fly out the open top during the rigors of shipping, and frequently engage any tape that is holding the cardboard sandwich in place.  Another bad practice is shipping books in the thinnest mylites - those frequently split the sides or bottoms of the bags out in the rigors of shipping.

I'm with you. I don't really understand why everybody always tapes their bags. Huge hassle.

If you absolutely must use tape, consider Removable Tape.

23 minutes ago, adampasz said:

I'm with you. I don't really understand why everybody always tapes their bags. Huge hassle.

If you absolutely must use tape, consider Removable Tape.

Is it really that hard to figure out? I don't like when I receive flaps tucked in personally. Seems lazy.

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Is it really that hard to figure out? I don't like when I receive flaps tucked in personally. Seems lazy.

What is there to figure out?

It's just a hassle, and a risk, dealing with the tape.

In many cases it's very difficult to pull tape off a bag, especially without bending the book. 

You can cut the tape, but this usually wrecks the bag, and you still risk snagging the comic on a stray piece of tape when you slide it out.

Lizards's post-it flags are a great alternative. Removable tape (which seems like same glue as post-its) is another good option.

14 minutes ago, adampasz said:

What is there to figure out?

It's just a hassle, and a risk, dealing with the tape.

In many cases it's very difficult to pull tape off a bag, especially without bending the book. 

You can cut the tape, but this usually wrecks the bag, and you still risk snagging the comic on a stray piece of tape when you slide it out.

Lizards's post-it flags are a great alternative. Removable tape (which seems like same glue as post-its) is another good option.

Just fold the tape over on the top of the piece to make a flap. Simply pull down when you want to remove a comic. The tape stays on the bag, clear of any in and out of the book.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Just fold the tape over on the top of the piece to make a flap. Simply pull down when you want to remove a comic. The tape stays on the bag, clear of any in and out of the book.

Yes, if you have to use regular tape it is nice to make a flap. In practice I almost never see people do this. (But maybe I'm buying from the wrong sellers.)

Also, over time, regular tape becomes gummy, and harder to remove and re-use.

The post-it flag achieves the same thing, but in a cleaner way.

51 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You are a bad man. :frown:

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Glad I wasn't the one that did this...

@fin.jpg.18c20dc595e3394bf9fff298d3672f84.jpg

Sad to see.

All that's missing is a badly-positioned Stan Lee signature over the dragon's face, just to add insult to injury.

Edited by Ken Aldred

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Sad to see.

All that's missing is a badly-positioned Stan Lee signature over the dragon's face, just to add insult to injury.

One of these days Stan will be gone and you'll wish you had his signature plastered across every book you have. xD

B920075F-D24E-426F-8E18-E1160001A111.jpeg

27 minutes ago, skrank said:

Poll- what's worse, tape pull or stan sig?

Stan Lee spider-cockroach sketch.

A unique, one-off, scribble of destruction.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Treco said:

One of these days Stan will be gone and you'll wish you had his signature plastered across every book you have. xD

B920075F-D24E-426F-8E18-E1160001A111.jpeg

Including my ECs.

10 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Maybe I could get him to sign the tape pull ???lol 

If you do try to get him to add "breaking news" it would look like an old news program :shy:

Attention Attention creature spotted near coast of Japan