• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mistake
2 2

83 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, NoMan said:

I once made the mistake of loaning some comics to an attractive gal I was interested in. She had no previous experience in comics. She later “returned” them to me by leaving them in an area on the job site I was usually in, as opposed to, you know, personally handing them back to me. Of course the comics never made it back to me and were lost forever. 

In the end I gave her a pass cause she was smoking hot and we ended up dating for a bit. 

She got very into comics and today works as costume designer for Joss Weadon or whatever his name is.

That girl was so sexy. 

Come to think of it, I also loaned her my high end Canon Super 8 camera and she didn’t return the case which she claimed I didn’t give her but I know I did. 

But like I said..   

Most comics are a fair trade for some sweet poontang. Some are not.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:59 PM, Yodisd said:

I was looking at a nice comic, then some tape got accidently stuck to the cover, when I went to pull it off, it ripped part of the cover...it was amazing spider man 25

Hey, not so bad.  I got married. 

Luckily my learning experience came on a book that was already like a 3.0 or worse, got it for like $5 with all the water damage just so I could own the cover.  When rebagging it to make it look nicer, the tape caught right on the green goblin's face.  I tried slowly/carefully pulling it off, but with the water damage it almost immediately tore the print off. 
I decided in this grade there would be no harm in just re-applying the tape back onto the book. lol It looks much nicer than a big white missing section, and it was fairly hard to make the tape look obvious in the picture below.

93AnVJ1.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Hopefully the new generation of collectors will read this and learn something, but probably not, experience is the best teacher.

Yup.  I must've made all the mistakes; tape pulls, poor storage, dropping and dinging books.

Learn from the frustration and try to avoid history repeating itself.

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, NoMan said:

She got very into comics and today works as costume designer for Joss Weadon or whatever his name is.

Was her name Shawna ?

shawna3.jpg.598567f33781c060ee64af4b6febcdf6.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

Most comics are a fair trade for some sweet poontang. Some are not.

Batman "The Cult" mini series if I remember correctly. It would be around 1988/89.

oh yeah, The Killing Joke too

Edited by NoMan

I used tape early on-- then a few stupid tape pulls got me to stop using it.

I went the (tape-less) tucked flap route for about 15 years.

But I found this to be less clean looking in general (held the book too loose inside the bag).

Then someone here mentioned their method of folding over part of the tape to make a pull tab out of it.

I adopted this method and used it on all my books going forward and when I re-bagged the last time.

Using the folded over tape (two long pieces for each end of the flap) has worked for me. I completely remove the tape from the book and set it aside when I want to open one of my books. No tape issues ever since.

I do remove ALL tape sent from new purchases and replace it with new bag/board/tape depending on need.

The ones that annoy me these days are people who use the clear packing tape to hold books onto the cardboard-- going completely across the bag & book. I appreciate that they are trying to prevent movement-- but using the blue painters tape on a couple of corners is usually more than sufficient and so much easier to remove.

PS-- that pre-made pull tab tape looks promising. The stuff that has "sign and date" on it pictured previously.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

This would be a fun Color touch project.

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

be pretty extensive!

Ultimate Restoration Challenge.

On 07/12/2017 at 2:59 AM, Yodisd said:

I was looking at a nice comic, then some tape got accidently stuck to the cover, when I went to pull it off, it ripped part of the cover...it was amazing spider man 25

That's a brave confession for a CGC Grader.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:59 PM, Yodisd said:

are there any other comic books mishaps you would like to reveal , nice comics or not?.....

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

are there any other comic books mishaps you would like to reveal , nice comics or not?.....

I just bought a fantastic four 26 and it has some persons signature across the cover, is that really bad?