• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Collecting OA, What does this mean?

35 posts in this topic

So the original drawn pencil is the original and then I guess you could say that the second one is the original ink art?  What are the values wise original vs inked over blue lines?

Original pencils on board will have a higher value.

Many factors come into place. And witout knowing any specifics of the OA in question...I will say As a very general rule

Pencils 60%

Ink 40%

However The ink version is closer to the final product.  Depending on the collector it could have a higher appeal.  

Collectors also try to have the pencil/ink set together.

26 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Many factors come into place. And witout knowing any specifics of the OA in question...I will say As a very general rule

Pencils 60%

Ink 40%

However The ink version is closer to the final product.  Depending on the collector it could have a higher appeal.  

This is the piece I'm considering purchasing.  Any thoughts as to the value or any information about it would be helpful.

Suicide Squad: Rebirth Issue 1 Cover

$1,700.00

Pencils by: Philip Tan

Inks by: Jonathan Glapion 

Original art inked over blue line, 11"x 17", Published DC Entertainment 2016.

suicide-squade-01-cvr.jpg

Edited by RB3

I personally do not care much for the idea of “two originals” floating around and I stay away from Inks over Blue lines material, or anything that was created via two boards. And You will find most OA collectors prefer pencil/ink on the same board. That been said, $1700  seems high to me. 

Glapion is a great inker,  

But the following cover has a sticker price of $1000. Pencil and Ink by Phillip Tan. It’s a  better buy IMO. I would like to hear from other boardies.

M3IIhMTe_091117000836rot.jpg

Edited by Matches_Malone

To me, it doesn't matter too much because I just collect for the sake of hobby collecting and whether I like the total package. If I had the choice, I would prefer inks over original pencils. I would be equally happy, however, to have separate pages with original inks and original pencils as separate pieces so I can see both artists' separate works.

Finally, although not asked, I really miss the old pages with dialog on them. Comic art is supposed to help tell a story, and without the dialog, you can't really appreciate the story.

My least favorite is art which consists of scanned in panels that are re-assembled in Adobe Photoshop. You lose the chance for really interesting panel separation artwork that way because the artist doesn't do the creative borders that are one of my favorite bits in a panel page.

41 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

My least favorite is art which consists of scanned in panels that are re-assembled in Adobe Photoshop. You lose the chance for really interesting panel separation artwork that way because the artist doesn't do the creative borders that are one of my favorite bits in a panel page.

Unfortunately this seems to be Chaykin 100% of the time now.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Personally I avoid blue line inks unless the art was pencilled digitally and there is no pencil page in existance.  If there are 2 versions - that defeats the attractiveness to me. I like the idea that art is one of a kind. 

My 2c

100% agreed

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Unfortunately this seems to be Chaykin 100% of the time now.

I spoke to Howard about it, actually (and I am waiting for a commission he did for me).

Basically, it gives him some extra flexibility and it's easier to fix a mistake. He did say, however, he misses doing the creative borders. So do I. Some of his border work on American Flagg, in particular, was astonishingly good.

Fwiw, I have seen inks over blue lines where the seller is offering both the original penciled page and the inked page together. Splash Page did that with a lot of Paolo Rivera's Daredevil art once his dad started inking the work from prints. There's only about a half dozen of those pages that Paolo and Joe penciled and inked on the same board, but I think offering both together is the ideal approach. 

I'm with most with my preference being:

Pen and ink on the same board

Then, digital pencils with physical inks

Then pencils and inks on separate boards.

But on pencils and inks on different boards, my order of operations is always to get the pencils 1st, then track down the inks.  I feel like getting the more desirable part of the duo is important.  I've only had to do this a handful of times though.

I've always placed pencil only pages above digital pencils/physical inks.  I feel like I'd rather have the penciler's DNA on the page rather than the inker (because in most cases, I'm looking for the penciler's contribution - Mike Wieringo, for example).  

It's kind of an existential consideration, I guess.  At the end of the day, if you own a Kirby cover, most likely there are zero Kirby pencils left on the piece if the inker has done his job correctly.  

Edited by Flambit
a word

12 hours ago, RB3 said:

Suicide Squad: Rebirth Issue 1 Cover

$1,700.00

Pencils by: Philip Tan

Inks by: Jonathan Glapion 

Personally, I like the Glapion inked piece more. But I like it at $700-1000 tops.

There is so much art out there for modern guys who are still actively producing work. Unless it is a "GOTTA HAVE IT" piece, make an offer that works for you and move on. Or roll the dice on a commission. I've seen some really nice Philip Tan commissions.

Inks over blue line copies bother me less and less as time goes by. The inks are much more presentable, closer to the published image, and, interestingly, you can see the penciller's contribution in more detail sometimes than if the lines were erased.

If the lack of captions is a bother, grab a piece of mylar and put your balloons on that.

13 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Pencils 60%

Ink 40%

There are also instances where there are no pencils, and the only hand drawn stuff are the inks. Everything else is digital. So, the only original art for the book is the inked over printed out blue lines on from the digital pencils.

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

Inks over blue line copies bother me less and less as time goes by. The inks are much more presentable, closer to the published image, and, interestingly, you can see the penciller's contribution in more detail sometimes than if the lines were erased.

I actually prefer the inked version if there are pencil and inked available (both are, of course, the ideal).

I avoid blue lined ink art like the plague if theres original pencils out there. Id rather have the pencils any day. It bugs me knowing an inked page is also out there. In fact I pretty much wont touch art thats made that way unless it's done by Mike Wieringo.

Anytime I doubt, I use this line "Has this artists hands physically touched this artboard with a pencil?" 

Edited by Khazano