• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Collecting OA, What does this mean?

35 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

Whats with all the wieringo references?

He was the first "big name" to do pencils and then have it inked via bluelines in 2003 with his Fantasic Four work...  Im digging deep into my memories here. But.  Im pretty sure it largely had to do with saving the time Fedexing the artwork.  Odds are I'm not the only old timer who associates the blueline process with him mentally. And also not the only collectors who makes a special rule specifically for his art...

And you know, because everything else I have of his is all pencil. I think if there were an issue of his FF run done the old fashioned way (and I do recall there may have been one??) that an inked page may actually be LESS desirable (to me) because it doesn't fit in with the rest of his work I have from that series.  It would stand out like a sore thumb which would bother me. 

Edited by Khazano

So I've always understood blue line art, but I've seen some pieces with red lines being used in the backgrounds and usually a message that says remove red lines.  Here is a random Warlock piece that I have that has them.  I'm also about to get a cover with some red line work on it.  What were those used for?

image.thumb.png.3932f41055289209b166c89cdbd302e4.png

On 12/7/2017 at 12:48 AM, RB3 said:

Original art inked over blue line.

Be aware that some artists back in the day would do their pencils/layouts in blue pencil instead of graphite.  For example, if you are looking at art by Sal Buscema from a 70's comic, Sal's original pencil work may have been accomplished completely with a blue pencil.  So, not every blue mark means that it wasn't physically placed there by the penciler.

16 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

If the lack of captions is a bother, grab a piece of mylar and put your balloons on that.

No. I want to buy a package, not a project. I'd add a few bucks to the purchase price, however, if someone else did it for me. 

7 hours ago, The Shoveler said:

These red lines were used as"color holds."  They show where there's an intended separation between colors without using a black ink line.  At fnord's site, there are some scans of other panels from Warlock Chronicles #2 that show where more color holds were done instead of using a black ink line:  http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/warlock_chronicles_2.shtml

Below is another use of red lines from a ComicLink auction I didn't win.  Here, they wanted to separate the background foliage from the moon and the sky without using an ink line.  Also attached is a panel from the printed book showing how the background was delineated by color in a page from the same issue.

Thanks a lot!!

There are also examples of just penciled pages with no inks to speak of. On Dale Eaglesham's recent FF run, he did super tight pencils of each page, didn't ink it, and Mounts did the colors digitally from the purely penciled pages. 

Tech has allowed the page creation process to vary pretty widely these days. 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:16 AM, The Shoveler said:

Be aware that some artists back in the day would do their pencils/layouts in blue pencil instead of graphite.  For example, if you are looking at art by Sal Buscema from a 70's comic, Sal's original pencil work may have been accomplished completely with a blue pencil.  So, not every blue mark means that it wasn't physically placed there by the penciler.

Not just the 70's but through to the late 80's also.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, RB3 said:

This is the piece I'm considering purchasing.  Any thoughts as to the value or any information about it would be helpful.

Suicide Squad: Rebirth Issue 1 Cover

$1,700.00

Pencils by: Philip Tan

Inks by: Jonathan Glapion 

Original art inked over blue line, 11"x 17", Published DC Entertainment 2016.

suicide-squade-01-cvr.jpg

Gee, I wonder which artist this guy grew up copying idolizing.