• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any retailers here?

3 posts in this topic

I've got some basic dumb questions for anyone that runs a comic store. I should mention I'm in the UK, but hopefully most questions/answers will apply universally.

1. What would say is your biggest cost outlay? (salary, rent, stock etc).
  2. Just how do you go about getting the stock? do you get it direct from Marvel/DC or I've see a company called Diamond mentioned?
  3. Can you buy a limited amount of stock? (say 20 copies of whatever) or there's a minimum you can't go below?
  4. I presume you keep whatever you can't sell? you can't return comics?
  5. Do you have to sell at the price the publisher sets? or can you discount?
  6. Could you survive just selling comics, or you need the merch as well?
  7. Everything needs to be insured?
  8. Do you sell old and new comics? or just new? and if old and new, what's the ratio between them in sales. Mostly new sell?
  9. Any other questions I should be asking? :)

This discussion topic linked below has a lot of information and several links. It should address many of your questions. 

The shop location is New York City. The forum member was asking for advice after years of selling comics part time, read several books relating to the business, and personally interviewed other shop owners in the general area he was targeting.