• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Web of Evil 5

9 posts in this topic

The Good: Classic Jack Cole cover and art. One of my favorite PCH covers of all time. Cover and centerfold are attached tightly at both staples. Inside paper looks OW-W which is a pleasant surprise for a book that is 64 years old.

The Bad: 1 inch spine split at the top FC. Not sure if the ink on the spine is distributor spray or not? Not sure how much CGC would hammer for something like that. Some kid got a little sneaky and decided to pencil in the lady in reds "you-know-what" on the back cover.

Otherwise a solid book! Let me know what you all think!

WOE_5_F.jpg

WOE_5_B.jpg

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

looks like color touch on spine but i could be wrong because i can't find another back cover to reference it,  hopefully not a plod...

I'm not sure if that is distributor spray or not? It literally looks like someone dropped a pad of ink and it spilled onto the side of the book. You can actually make it out on the front cover as well. Too messy of a job for me to think that it was an attempt at resto, but who knows!

Some research here on the boards shows this has been a topic before. Just curious to see how CGC views this.

Distributor ink was not completely uncommon in the 50s, though it was likely brushed on, not sprayed back then, but the color and area of the stain on this book make it appear it could just as easily be spilled fountain pen ink near the book. The bottom chip and the spine split will keep the grade down, but overall it's still a decent looking copy. I'd probably call it a 3.5.

Hard to say with CGC. I cracked out a 4.0 once that looked higher grade, but a had a 1" spine split and tanning edges on the covers (more evident on the inside). I though the grade was a tad harsh, but then one sees other 4.0s that look quite generous. MA26.thumb.jpg.5f2ce76c03be792cdf89cf7af07c6273.jpg

Edited by rjpb