• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy if Newsprint was an option?

11 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if the comic companies continued printing with the current paper stock, but also sold a lower priced newsprint option, if people would consider buying?  I find that my eyes get fatigued much faster reading my newer format comics.  I would definitely consider buying newsprint paper copies myself, but would others would like the idea?

On 12/8/2017 at 2:54 PM, SteveMullins said:

I'm wondering if the comic companies continued printing with the current paper stock, but also sold a lower priced newsprint option, if people would consider buying?  I find that my eyes get fatigued much faster reading my newer format comics.  I would definitely consider buying newsprint paper copies myself, but would others would like the idea?

I have been reading comics through the transition from newsprint to the modern glossy style and for a very long time I did not like it.  It was too glossy and even over bright but I have come to like the newer style very much. I almost view it as a higher quality in both paper stock and ink.

It is really six and one half dozen of another to me. It is really all the same to me but I am sure cheaper comics in general might appeal to alot of readers.

Reminds me  bit of the "blank covers" question. 

There was a point in between where the paper was still matte, but thicker than old school comics.  I think it was in the early 90's.  It held the color better but was not shiny.  I liked it a lot.  I don't think they are going to fix this industry by cheapening out on the paper.  It is in a very real transitional era and in the end, I just think there will be fewer books on the shelves.

9 hours ago, dyelan said:

Alterna has been able to print 32 page comics with a $1.50 price tag. Marvel should be able to do even better.

^ This. If Alterna Comics can put out a 32 page book for $1.50 using a printer in Oregon, Marvel or DC could absolutely get a better rate since the print runs on most titles would be significantly higher.

I like the HC Swamp Thing volumes DC did on newsprint, they're beautiful and complement the art nicely!

Apparently I need more light now to read than I did as a kid, so I have to be near a bright bulb, but the reflectivity of new paper stock means I'm constantly having to re-adjust the book as I read down the page because of the glare. It sucks and means I fatigue much faster while reading as well.

Also, the price of new books meant I was only able to stick with current stuff for about two years before I dropped back out due to cost-cutting, so a cheaper alternative would not be unwelcome. Just not sure how the newer coloring system would translate over to newsprint. It seems much more complex than it was 20 years ago.

17 hours ago, dyelan said:

Alterna has been able to print 32 page comics with a $1.50 price tag. Marvel should be able to do even better.

alterna doesnt have the licensing, overhead, or tallent contracts that Marvel has to account for