• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I finally got around to reading my DD Miller run.........

14 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

Looks like Miller's old style of signature next to Klaus's.

Really?  Wasn't sure it was a sig at all given how sloppy it is.  Then again, considering low sloppy some of these sports sigs are, I'm not surprised.  Finding an example of Miller's sign (not just his initials) online is a bit tough. 

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Nice! Where did you get the book?

I got it with a package deal last year.  I think I paid like $60-70.  Don't remember exactly.  Basically issues 158-191, but minus issue 168.  No big deal since I already had a raw issue 168 to complete the run.

dd run.jpg

Edited by Brian48

33 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I got it with a package deal last year.  I think I paid like $60-70.  Don't remember exactly.  Basically issues 158-191, but minus issue 168.  No big deal since I already had a raw issue 168 to complete the run.

dd run.jpg

Your thoughts after rereading it 30 years later?

that stuff is IT for me!

Edited by NoMan

I still enjoy reading the run occasionally, as the Daredevil Visionaries : Frank Miller collections.

11 hours ago, NoMan said:

Your thoughts after rereading it 30 years later?

that stuff is IT for me!

To be truthful, I thought the writing does show its age, but still holds up better than most of its contempories.  I was reading DD back in the day when hardly anyone else was. Was absolutely thrilled when practically overnight the title became just as relevant as X-Men.  Loved the gritty and noir take that pushed the envelope of the Comics Code. Miller DD was one of those titles that I anxiously waited on to come out every month.   Very happy to have finally reacquired all the Miller books that I used to have last year. 

Edited by Brian48
Type-O

I was reading Kitchen Sink's Eisner Spirit Section reprints around the time Miller started on Daredevil, and could see the influences of the earlier GA crime / noir material in his work.  So, I took to it quite easily, from the start.

6 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Really?  Wasn't sure it was a sig at all given how sloppy it is.  Then again, considering low sloppy some of these sports sigs are, I'm not surprised.  Finding an example of Miller's sign (not just his initials) online is a bit tough. 

definitely Miller's Sig from the era. In the bulletin section they offered signatures if you sent the books in.

Miller signed my DD 181 and 168 and they look identical to that.