• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Archie inspire a Beatles song?

12 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'm scrolling eBay listings this morning and I come across a Pep cover with an Elvis parody. I wonder about its release date in relation to Jughead's Folly (1957, generally noted as 1st Elvis reference in comics) so I search for it and find the indicia. Sept. 1960. Right above it I see Archie singing "ooblahdee OO-ah" and I think it's a Beatles reference, but it predates the White Album by nearly a decade. I read somewhere (on here, I think) that John Lennon read comics. What do you think? 

image.png

I think Paul wrote that song.  Also, I found this....

The tag line "ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah" was an expression used by Nigerian conga player Jimmy Scott-Emuakpor, an acquaintance of McCartney. Another example of the term in popular culture is the 1945 song 'In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee', which Mary Lou Williams composed for Dizzy Gillespie (heard on Dizzy ...

Notice Archie is playing the bongos.

47 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I think Paul wrote that song.  Also, I found this....

The tag line "ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on, brah" was an expression used by Nigerian conga player Jimmy Scott-Emuakpor, an acquaintance of McCartney. Another example of the term in popular culture is the 1945 song 'In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee', which Mary Lou Williams composed for Dizzy Gillespie (heard on Dizzy ...

Notice Archie is playing the bongos.

Cool, thanks! I'm not much of a Beatles fan but I thought folks might be interested. (thumbsu

On 12/9/2017 at 7:02 AM, Readcomix said:

I read somewhere (on here, I think) that John Lennon read comics. What do you think? 

But it was a Paul McCartney written song. They got a lot of their lyrics from newsprint.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

But it was a Paul McCartney written song. They got a lot of their lyrics from newsprint.

4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire say not! :sumo:

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Haha , that reminds me of what i do every morning....

wake up...... get outta bed..... drag a comb across my head..........

Not with my hairline Craig.  It's receded so far now I comb my asss :sorry: