• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your comic collecting goals for 2018 ?
4 4

110 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My specific goals are

1. Finally start submitting some stuff to CGC.  I say this every year but I really want to do it.  Big question is do I get my Batman 1 graded?  If someone has an idea what it would run me, shoot me a PM.

2.  Comics - I really want to upgrade my Batman 100.  I also want to pick up a copy of Batman 4 unrestored in 6.0 to 8.0 range.  Would love to add one classic Lou Fine cover to the collection as well.

1-probably a grand

2- what grade 100?

i have a nice 4 in that range I believe hm

4 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

My goal for 2018 is to try to keep what I got in my little collection. Fight off temptation to unload the whole shebang for just one single monsta book. I fight this demon every feature Auction it seems.

Don't ever do it Chris. They are like your children... you would miss them and want them back. Only one book, no matter which one, would seem so unfullfilling wouldn't it?

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Don't ever do it Chris. They are like your children... you would miss them and want them back. Only one book, no matter which one, would seem so unfullfilling wouldn't it?

There’s definitely a pulling force. That force of that Marvel Comics #1 Cgc 2.5 was strong. Compelling

6 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

My goal for 2018 is to try to keep what I got in my little collection. Fight off temptation to unload the whole shebang for just one single monsta book. I fight this demon every feature Auction it seems.

I fight that same temptation. ALL.THE.TIME. So happy to hear someone else struggles with this. I have about 15 books, and I fantasize about making it 1. Someone else talked about how unfulfilling it would be, however, to have just a single book, and I have to agree with that as well.

so refreshing to hear others articulate the demons in my head. Thank you!!

On 12/10/2017 at 11:03 AM, Sqeggs said:
On 12/10/2017 at 8:06 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

In my case, having last year opted for a very narrow collecting focus, I will be fortunate to find anything at all to augment the relatively few keepers I've retained. It would have to be something I feel is very special, not merely a run filler. (Funds for comics are in any case less of a priority these days.)  On the other hand, I'm very happy with what I've got, don't ever get bored with these happy few, and greatly enjoy the vicarious thrill of watching fellow boardies achieve their diverse goals. So here's to all of you for the coming year - good hunting, one and all! :popcorn:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here [to see Flex add that special book],

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

My goal for 2018 is to post some new books that cause gentlemen in England to hold their manhood cheap.

My goal is the hunt....chasing down the rumors, seeing what they really are, and bringing them home....You know the types out there; they come across comics, they have some knowledge of value, but they don't have the love we do. They find them as a matter of course in what they mainly do....house clean-out guys, storage unit auction hounds, retired tinkerers who hit all the yard and estate sales....

I've got two on my radar for months now, and finally seeing the goods and bringing them home is the goal....one guy (house clean-out) says he has about 20 books from the 40's, and a couple '60s, from years of doing his thing. I've already bought the SA X-Men he had, now I want to see the "old" stuff. He "thinks" there's a Green Hornet #1...he's always busy with his main gig, but sooner or later I'll see.

Another is a retired guy who just likes amassing collectibles, now he's selling it all....says he has some "1940s-1950s" comics somewhere, Batman and Blackhawk, he recalls. I gotta see....

And the antique dealer I know who cannot find his Kirby page. (He's as much hoarder as dealer; he's frustrating to watch but I can see why he cannot find it). It's been more than two years. 

These long-term hunts are the highlights every year, some building for a few years. This past year, it was the original owner SA collection that the owner and I discussed on and off for a year. The year before it was the record dealer who had a stack of comics plunked on him on the way out the door from buying a record collection. It took months between his schedule of record shows, but eventually I got all his Timelys and a few other books from his haul. Lost out on the DC's except for a couple. That year there was also a few months' back and forth with a cult classic video store owner for his TTA27.

I look forward to this year's hunts. From where I sit now, it's the house clean-out guy and the Kirby page guy and the retiree, but they may not all pan out, and others will crop up. Some will just be whispers, some will pan out. As Bruce Lee said, "Be like water, my friend."

I used to be much more deliberate when I first started collecting a number of years ago.  Now I mostly buy because the book feels right at the price and I like a certain copy and I give it a go.  There's not as much rhyme or reason because I just trust what I'm doing at this point.  Some books are just cool and I'll take a crack at it.  That's my plan for 2018, just feel like vibe see what happens, glad I can buy some GA books.

7 hours ago, atomised said:

I used to be much more deliberate when I first started collecting a number of years ago.  Now I mostly buy because the book feels right at the price and I like a certain copy and I give it a go.  There's not as much rhyme or reason because I just trust what I'm doing at this point.  Some books are just cool and I'll take a crack at it.  That's my plan for 2018, just feel like vibe see what happens, glad I can buy some GA books.

I like that.. a lot. That is definitely a fun and intuitive way to collect. I think I have done that to some degree the last few years.

I would like to add one more Spectre cover from the More Fun run and hopefully find some Coverless and covers to marry together, or at least let them cohabitate in the same Mylar.  I think I get more satisfaction from hat than spending a ton on a single book(although I like that as well). I just love sort or reuniting pieces that should be together. I sort of feel like that is the little I can do to preserve he hobby that we all care about so much.:x