• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your comic collecting goals for 2018 ?
4 4

110 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2017 at 5:40 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 12/14/2017 at 12:39 PM, Funnybooks said:

Does CGC consider a "cleaned" cover conserved or restored?

Conserved

Is this cut and dried?  The CGC write up seems a little ambiguous. hm

Introduction of the Conservation Scale
Specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation of a comic book will now be classified as “conservation” and designated with a blue / purple label. These repairs include tear seals, support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:56 PM, EC ed said:

2018 will be a great collecting year if I can snag just one of these EC promos I'm missing (of course, finding all 8 would be fine, too :D ):

Across the Seas in a War Torn World
Church that was Built with Bread
KO Punch
Out of the Past a Clue to the Future
Reddy Kilowatt 1B (Reddy Made Magic, 1956)
Reddy Kilowatt 2B (Light's Diamond Jubilee, 1954)
Reddy Kilowatt 3B (Space Kite, S. Calif. edition, 1956)
Wonders of Wire Rope

Oh, sure. Pick a run of easy books to make sure you succeed. :taptaptap:

On 12/14/2017 at 12:12 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 12/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, Sqeggs said:

"Cover cleaned" is certainly up there as a value killer. 

don't know why. I'll take cvr cleaned over ct any day of the week.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one.  Certainly there are books that look a whole lot better once stains that can't be dry cleaned away are removed and there are books where ct is nicely done.  Guess it would be a book-by-book thing for me.

People do seem turned off by "cover cleaned," though.  Been some books that went lower than I had expected that I think was due to that, although, of course, you never know.

My goals include more than just acquiring books.  For example, in the past I wanted Overstreet to correct some entries that bothered me and also wanted to get my name in print in a comic history book.

This year, one of my goals beyond just finding books is a two parter:  (1) get CGC to designate WDC&S subscription variants (they have different back covers and additional printing -- not a paste on label -- with the subscribers address) as such on the CGC holders and (2) succeed in getting a GA WDC&S subscription variant graded a 9.0+.   I'm positive I can meet goal (2), I haven't tried to make any progress on goal (1) and don't know if I'll succeed or not.

My goal is to start buying again after being too busy over the past year. I've been browsing through auction results, though, and I've been kind of shocked by the prices some books have been fetching. I'm honestly not sure whether it's worth it to me to own books at the current price levels.

On 12/21/2017 at 4:12 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'm kind of on the fence with this one.  Certainly there are books that look a whole lot better once stains that can't be dry cleaned away are removed and there are books where ct is nicely done.  Guess it would be a book-by-book thing for me.

People do seem turned off by "cover cleaned," though.  Been some books that went lower than I had expected that I think was due to that, although, of course, you never know.

Isn't cover cleaning part of the pressing process?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Isn't cover cleaning part of the pressing process?

Only "dry cleaning," which, as I understand it involves removing loose dirt or, sometimes, erasing pencil marks.  This type of cleaning doesn't get noted on the label and the book is put in a blue slab.  Using chemicals to remove dirt is restoration (or maybe conservation, the official definition seems ambiguous to me) and gets noted on the label and moves the book out of a blue slab.

Edited by Sqeggs
Label, not cover.