• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10 Canvas Giclees Stan Lee signed of Variant Comic Covers

39 posts in this topic

Here is a modest snapshot of a Jack Kirby piece which might convince the OP to go to original art.  My only Kirby, upgraded from Captain Victory, here is KAMANDI.

Not intending to demean Captain Victory, there was a nostalgic component on the swap, an upgrade for me.  Best, David

Image.jpg

Edited by aokartman
clarify

4 hours ago, aokartman said:

Here is a modest snapshot of a Jack Kirby piece which might convince the OP to go to original art.  My only Kirby, upgraded from Captain Victory, here is KAMANDI.

Not intending to demean Captain Victory, there was a nostalgic component on the swap, an upgrade for me.  Best, David

Image.jpg

It sounds like the OP values primarily images of covers featuring major Marvel heroes, and signed by Stan, so, as nice as I think that Kamandi page is, it's not likely to outshine these giclees in his eyes. Perhaps someone has a piece of Marvel cover OA in the under-20K range they'd like to post? Doesn't have to be Kirby, just be Avengers or something & with a Stan signature. 

10 hours ago, Chrysaetos said:

You are all great for taking time to answer to my query. I am at the moment flying back from Singapore and after the jet lag effect i will post photos of the canvases in question as well as details about them that i have received. I would also be interested tin learning more about OA and commissioning someone to "reproduce" a cover of comics in my possession . As far as Kirby is concerned a short research gave me only original ink pages of comics and no covers...at least yet, guess i have to "surf" the net more.....

thank you all and i will get back again with new material......:$

You can refer to this guide to OA collecting:

https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/12/08/original-art-collecting-101/

https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/12/16/original-art-collecting-102/

Shout out next time you're in Singapore, we have a vibrant OA collecting community here!

13 hours ago, Chrysaetos said:

You are all great for taking time to answer to my query. I am at the moment flying back from Singapore and after the jet lag effect i will post photos of the canvases in question as well as details about them that i have received. I would also be interested tin learning more about OA and commissioning someone to "reproduce" a cover of comics in my possession . As far as Kirby is concerned a short research gave me only original ink pages of comics and no covers...at least yet, guess i have to "surf" the net more.....

thank you all and i will get back again with new material......:$

Prices you've quoted on those signed giclee prints are insane . . . sounds like pure extortion to most of us here.

If you're interested in commissioning someone to "reproduce" covers of comics in your possession, I'd recommend Bruce McCorkindale or Doug Hazelwood - who excel at that sort of thing.  I had Bruce recreate for me a series of classic Marvel covers.  You'd be looking at a ball-park figure of around $200 - 250 per recreation, which can vary slightly (depending on the level of detail).  Here's an example of Bruce's work from my collection:

FF 58.jpg

Edited by The Voord

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

Prices you've quoted on those signed giclee prints are insane . . . sounds like pure extortion to most of us here.

If you're interested in commissioning someone to "reproduce" covers of comics in your possession, I'd recommend Bruce McCorkindale or Doug Hazelwood - who excel at that sort of thing.  I had Bruce recreate for me a series of classic Marvel covers.  You'd be looking at a ball-park figure of around $200 - 250 per recreation, which can vary slightly (depending on the level of detail).  Here's an example of Bruce's work from my collection:

FF 58.jpg

Never been a recreation fan, especially the exact line for line variety, but that FF 58 is remarkable.  Is it hand lettered too?  I might also add that $200-250 is absurdly low for the amount of time and expertise that would go into something like that (but maybe it reflects demand?).  I don't know the answer, but if this guy is doing a lot of recreations, he absolutely needs to substantially raise his prices. 2c

12 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Never been a recreation fan, especially the exact line for line variety, but that FF 58 is remarkable.  Is it hand lettered too?  I might also add that $200-250 is absurdly low for the amount of time and expertise that would go into something like that (but maybe it reflects demand?).  I don't know the answer, but if this guy is doing a lot of recreations, he absolutely needs to substantially raise his prices. 2c

The lettering is mostly printed directly onto the artboards (with touch-ups where necessary).  For me, that's the best way to go as hand-lettering is a real skill in its own right that few artists appear to possess.  Bruce is never short of work and has a long waiting list.  Yeah, totally agree about the prices, though complaining about them being too low is not a route most of us want to go ;)

I was never much of a recreation fan myself until I discovered Bruce's work.  No real substitute for the original originals, of course, but I doubt that a lot of the early Marvel silver age covers still exist . . . and if they did, they'd be out of the price range of us mere mortals.

37 minutes ago, The Voord said:

...hand-lettering is a real skill in its own right that few artists appear to possess.

No kiddin'. I can't stand an otherwise excellent original with amateur (at best) trade dress and lettering. That stuff ruins the piece for me. I won't name names but the list of great artists (but horrible letterers) and happen to do commission and recreations is very long...pretty much all of 'em :(

I think Art Adams does a great job however. Not a cheap commission though. But I've only seen a handful of 'em, maybe some bad ones too by Art?

It's a funny thing, actually, the 'need' for trade dress. It's clearly a collector-thing, not an art thing (excepting letters, logo and type designers etc...who are very much artists...cue Gaspar Saladino!) I'm sure many artists are really bummed when the request comes in with the trade dress too requirement. I'm sure they -better than all of us- know that's not their strength.

Wow, that FF 58 recreation is ridiculously good.  How backed up is Bruce?  Time frames?  Is this price range a special price for friends and artists?  Just wow.  Sorry, I gush, but that is incredibly well done.  And the giclees are...to quote a friend..."I say thee NAY!"....

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, vodou said:

No kiddin'. I can't stand an otherwise excellent original with amateur (at best) trade dress and lettering. That stuff ruins the piece for me. I won't name names but the list of great artists (but horrible letterers) and happen to do commission and recreations is very long...pretty much all of 'em :(

I think Art Adams does a great job however. Not a cheap commission though. But I've only seen a handful of 'em, maybe some bad ones too by Art?

It's a funny thing, actually, the 'need' for trade dress. It's clearly a collector-thing, not an art thing (excepting letters, logo and type designers etc...who are very much artists...cue Gaspar Saladino!) I'm sure many artists are really bummed when the request comes in with the trade dress too requirement. I'm sure they -better than all of us- know that's not their strength.

I think most collectors are purists . . . in the sense they want to see things like cover artworks complete with all the logo and text elements present . . .  just as they remember from seeing on the comic-books.  I can see how artists doing re-creations would probably be irritated by the need to take on the additional skills of a letterer (and, in most cases, failing badly with their efforts, for obvious reasons).  Absolutely.   Nothing worse than seeing a nicely re-created cover illustration with badly-lettered text elements.  Totally ruins the piece for me.

I hate to say this . . . and apologies to anyone on this forum who owns such things . . . but some of the later re-created covers by Kirby (whose involvement as the actual penciler is now open to question) . . . and inked by D**k Ayers (at a time in his twilight years when the ravages of old age had taken a toll on his abilities to successfully re-visit the prime work of younger years) are painful to look at.  You get very shaky inking coupled with less-than-satisfactory attempts at lettering.   They're not the 'original' originals, yet they command big bucks (sure, I get the reasons why collectors would want them, even if they don't appeal to me)?  To my mind, they're even worse than nicely re-created cover illustrations let down by poor lettering, as here you're getting serviceable pencils + shaky inking + lousy lettering.  For me, I'd want to compare the re-creation against the actual published cover . . . and if it didn't stack-up, I'd be hugely disappointed.   Would I want to own such things?  Probably not.

Edited by The Voord

This thread has the feel of past threads where I think the OPs mind was (perhaps) decided to purchase prior to posting and that, despite the UNANIMOUS opposition expressed here in response to such an idea, he will come back and tell us that he made the purchase anyway after thinking it over. He likes the images and the way that they are presented and does not mind paying a premium for what he considers a superior product.

I hope that I am wrong.

I hope that he sees the universal disdain here for giclees...the unanimous advice against buying at these prices (or even 1/10th of those prices)...and that he chooses not to purchase them or return them if already purchased. 

I hope.

In other news, people love their $1K phones.

4 hours ago, The Voord said:

I think most collectors are purists . . . in the sense they want to see things like cover artworks complete with all the logo and text elements present . . .  just as they remember from seeing on the comic-books.  I can see how artists doing re-creations would probably be irritated by the need to take on the additional skills of a letterer (and, in most cases, failing badly with their efforts, for obvious reasons).  Absolutely.   Nothing worse than seeing a nicely re-created cover illustration with badly-lettered text elements.  Totally ruins the piece for me.

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find someone to hand letter a page these days. 

I'm doing 20+ commissions with a very competent penciller/inker and i want the text to be lettered directly on the page.  I had someone sign on, but he was only able to do four pages in the time the artist drew 27.  So, just recently I have been looking for a new letterer.  I have asked/looked everywhere I could think of. Either people are too busy or they only do digital. 

So, if you find that artist that doesn't  mind lettering and is competent give him/her all the work they can handle!

16 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

Wow, that FF 58 recreation is ridiculously good.  How backed up is Bruce?  Time frames?  Is this price range a special price for friends and artists?  Just wow.  Sorry, I gush, but that is incredibly well done.  And the giclees are...to quote a friend..."I say thee NAY!"....

Far as I'm aware Bruce's current waiting list extends well into the new year.  Price range was pretty solid during the time-frame of about 18 months when he was performing re-creations for me.  He's on CAF, so all you really need to do is shoot him a message of enquiry.  He's a well-disciplined artist and will usually keep to any time-frame he advises.  A small deposit will likely be requested from new clients.

Link to my CAF cover re-creation gallery by Bruce McCorkindale featuring a total of 27 covers:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=169364

Here's Bruce doing Ditko (in which I requested the splash page 1 art transposed as a cover image):

asm 4.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Hello all, 

just noticed this thread. I saw a gallery near me selling this horse manure for crazy money about 18months ago. I just checked and they are now selling more at even crazier prices , have a look if you fancy a laugh:

https://www.castlegalleries.com/artists/stan-lee#collection

unbelievable that people pay these prices for this stuff !

WTF

Edited by RYEBABY

I would never discourage someone from buying something they truly loved.

However, I WOULD discourage them from grossly overpaying for it.

If the OP truly loves the look of a full color giclee, fair enough. But he should be able to buy a nice one for a couple hundred bucks, and Stan's sig goes for, what, $100-$150 these days? What i'm saying is: collecting giclees is fine, if that's what you like, but please don't spend thousands of dollars on it. Yikes.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:37 AM, RYEBABY said:

Hello all, 

just noticed this thread. I saw a gallery near me selling this horse manure for crazy money about 18months ago. I just checked and they are now selling more at even crazier prices , have a look if you fancy a laugh:

https://www.castlegalleries.com/artists/stan-lee#collection

unbelievable that people pay these prices for this stuff !

WTF

"hand-signed by legendary comic artist Stan Lee" --anybody notice something wrong with that sentence?

49 minutes ago, drdroom said:

"hand-signed by legendary comic artist Stan Lee" --anybody notice something wrong with that sentence?

an actual legendary comic artist rolling over in his grave :frown: