• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deacidification and the CGC

3 posts in this topic

Does CGC give a conservation label for books that have undergone a deacidification treatment?

How can you tell if a comic has undergone this treatment?

It used to get a PLOD in the days before the 'conservation' designation.  I'd expect that to still be true, since it's clearly a harsh treatment that can hardly be considered something to conserve the native structure of a book.

As to how they can tell, I believe it gives the interior pages a certain look and smell both.

Edited by namisgr

I have talked to Matt Nelson about what qualifies for conservation, and what doesn't. For the most part color touch and large pieces added are the main task not allowed in a conservation label, so technically deacidification would fall under conservation. Unfortunately CGC's policy is to treat each book on a case by case bases, and so one book could end up conservation, while another with the same work can end up in restored label for any number of reasons at CGC's sole discretion. This is frustrating as only many trials and errors will provide some sort of consistent boundary on submitting with the sole goal of a conserved label.