• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Goals for 2018
4 4

86 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, GoldCap said:

2018 will be like 2017 in which I only bought six books all year...most expensive being an incomplete Cap #27 :shy:  In 2018 I plan to pay off a credit card, a personal loan, my car loan and my student loans...which doesn't leave much room for comics.  I have plenty of unread ones at home already though so I'm covered in that regard!

I felt so free when I paid off my student loan , it took half my life to pay it off.

I bought very few books this year.  I did bite the bullet on one book which ate away my budget for the year for me.  I wouldn't mind going after 1 or 2 other keys this coming year. 

Edited by scooter99

4 hours ago, nocutename said:

My goal is sell off at least one short box this year.  I am hoping for two short boxes by the end of the year.  I want to really thin the collection even more but I love what I have collected so selecting what stays and what goes is difficult.

Good goal and wintertime is a good time to organize and sell

On 12/11/2017 at 9:18 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I'm considering taking a break from collecting.  I'm having a little trouble figuring out what I would like to go after.  

Yes comics can be addicting and costly... i have finally learned to have patience , maybe pick up a book every 3 months or so for the runs i am working on.. i have a stack ready for CGC grading ... but that will have to wait for awhile too

On 12/11/2017 at 9:18 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I'm considering taking a break from collecting.  I'm having a little trouble figuring out what I would like to go after.  

i have had decent success picking out less expensive obscure GA runs and working on them over time...  very exciting and something to look forward too when a new issue pops up on eBay !. i'm kinda bummed that one of my sleeper runs "leave it to Binky" is now not under the radar anymore... those were fun to pick up on the cheap !!

Hopefully I will wrap up the Marvel 25c Picture Frames this coming year, and then moving on to something else. Don’t have a clue as to what yet (shrug)

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Three goals:

1) List for sale my lost focus books-- Maybe look at my collection and sell off some books I am not as interested in anymore to fund buying some books I've tried getting on the cheap for a long time- i.e. time to pony up if I want those higher value books that hold back run completion.

2) Always on the look out for silver Kirby and Steranko mid-grade gems.

3) I want to scan in all my books-- the silver age for sure-- so I have fast access to seeing the condition of my covers (and for fun to be able to see the collection wherever).  I have done this with a few of my runs but need to complete the task.

Archie, Archie, and more Archie.

If I can find the time to sell what I need to sell, I may get my grail....Archie 1 :cloud9:

Having said that, Archie 1 has been my goal every year for the past 10 or so ... 2018 does have a nice ring to it ....I said the same about 2010 though doh!

I will continue to work on Gen 13 original art pages, a few more CGC books for my registry sets, one or two celebrity SS books, but for the most part I just want to hang back and see what comes available.  I took a laid back approach to collecting this year and came away with some pretty nice additions.  Plus I like the thought of down-sizing a bit.  I think it might be time to take a shot at concentrating my collection a bit.  Good luck to everyone on their goals!

11 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Archie, Archie, and more Archie.

If I can find the time to sell what I need to sell, I may get my grail....Archie 1 :cloud9:

Having said that, Archie 1 has been my goal every year for the past 10 or so ... 2018 does have a nice ring to it ....I said the same about 2010 though doh!

a nice looking Archie #2 CGC 2.0 just sold on these boards recently, didn't last but a minute before selling..

do you have a #2 either ?

I haven't collected comics in a few years. Too be honest when all the prices skyrocketed I lost interest. The prices jumped way to high for the quality of work especially knowing how available these were at such affordable prices. I get the whole supply and demand but this was just people buying up piles of books to sit on, not my thing and certainly not paying 5-10X what a book should sell for just because someone else is driving the price up on speculation of TV and Movies. So my goal for 2018 is to hopefully start picking up a few comics and to try and get back the love for the hobby.

I want to create space! I am trying to figure out the best way to get rid of a lot of drek. Thought about seeing if my local library would take some in donation. I'm not even sure they'd want them. I'd like to downsize my collection to a few short boxes and concentrate on just grabbing a nice book here and there as I can.