• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Goals for 2018
4 4

86 posts in this topic

1.  Sell at least 6 longboxes of my original bronze/copper collection

2.  Find at least 2 elusive high grade picture frame Marvels that are current holes in the slabbed collection

Edited by namisgr

9 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

a nice looking Archie #2 CGC 2.0 just sold on these boards recently, didn't last but a minute before selling..

do you have a #2 either ?

Sadly no :( the first ten are sparse in my collection. One day, one day. Eventually I will probably liquidate all of my none Archie books to finish the run. 

11 hours ago, rebelpk said:

Not collecting anything in 2018. Baby is expected for January so the only thing I want to collect is good memories, sleep and remove some of the debt that will come from the wife not going back to work.

Sleep will be the last thing you collect.:roflmao:

On 12/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, oakman29 said:

My goal is to complete my run of Warren Creepy , and get halfway done with my Warren Eerie runs.Find a high grade Vampirella#3 , and maybe grab a nice SA or BA key.

Resurrected this thread to see how you all did this year.

I completed my Creepy run, and nearly half way working on my Eerie run. I am still looking for a nice Vampirella #3, guess that one is for next years list.

13 minutes ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

I don’t recall if I set any goals or not for 2018 but I did find my Holy Grail early in the year. A424487D-0EBE-43E3-8307-E9902B48BD59.jpeg.224ef4b75af12c09a782d7200dec0851.jpeg

I sold some books to make it happen. I hope to scale back in 2019 in terms of buying. How’d everybody else do?

Very cool! 

Would love to hear the story of why this book was so important to you.  Was it to complete a high-grade slabbed set, or was there a more personal reason?

Edited by jools&jim

9 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Very cool! 

Would love to hear the story of why this book was so important to you.  Was it to complete a high-grade slabbed set, or was there a more personal reason?

This book fits into a few collecting themes of mine. I’m going for Action Comics #400-500 in 9.8 grade. I’m also partial to Nick Cardy covers, I’m trying to get all of his Action covers in 9.8, which fits into the AC #400-500 list. 

The main reason for this piece being a grail is due to the dark cover and 100 pager square bound format, which makes it very difficult to obtain in high grade. For years the census only had one 9.8 for this book, now there are two. 

There were only two 100 pagers in the Action run, I got the other issue 4 or 5 years ago and had been dying to hold both slabs in my hands. I’m at 48% completion on my AC #400-500 run.

I did not so so well. I went off in multiple tangents and neglected my uncanny x-men run, but still filled a few holes in that.

ive got two months left, but have put buying on hold to actually sell as much of my collection as I can (other than most of my x-men and spidey runs) to our towards a new more powerful collecting goal. 

🙃

On 12/11/2017 at 12:13 PM, Pirate said:

Finish my cast signed Firefly CGC Photo (Where are you Morena and Gina?) :censored:

Buy a Batgirl Special OA page if one pops up.

Well if Morena showed up at RICC, then the firefly picture is done.   I did the reverse on the batgirl special issue as I sold my best page lol.

Read more comics on my reading list. 

which brings me to a question: Is a not as enjoyable to read a "classic" run as an adult that you never read as a kid/teenager? Sometimes I go back and read something I loved as a kid, and as an adult it just doesn't hold up meaning, perhaps, that if you didn't read something as a younger person, you just missed out.

Edited by NoMan

On 12/11/2017 at 8:38 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have some small one's, like a decent grade IH 180, but other than that and attending a few con's, I'm relaxing as well. I'd like to make 2 decent over $500 purchases, but that might be it for a while.

:) 

I got an 8.5 IH 180 that I'm satisfied with, and I got a giant size X-Men #1 that one was over $500...

But basically I'm a small fish in a big pond  :shy:

I still have fun!

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I got an 8.5 IH 180 that I'm satisfied with, and I got a giant size X-Men #1 that one was over $500...

But basically I'm a small fish in a big pond  :shy:

I still have fun!

:applause: That's okay . I'm a small fish too!

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

Read more comics on my reading list. 

which brings me to a question: Is a not as enjoyable to read a "classic" run as an adult that you never read as a kid/teenager? Sometimes I go back and read something I loved as a kid, and as an adult it just doesn't hold up meaning, perhaps, that if you didn't read something as a younger person, you just missed out.

I think this is definitely true... especially depending on your definition of "classic."  Lots of those old books that were squarely targeted at kids certainly feel that way now, and I just can't get into them.  I tried getting through some early Marvels with the Masterworks books and just couldn't do it.

I feel the same way about Catcher in the Rye... I first read that when I was like 36 and thought it was pretty dumb, but I'm pretty sure had I read it when I was 20 years younger it would have hit me in a much more positive way.

8 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

If I had posted goals, this would have been high on my list. Pretty pumped about it!

1A72BBF1-F9C5-45E6-8A1E-3BE3162786D0.thumb.jpeg.3561e1dafc3a277a686089dc57b02152.jpeg

and this is cool!  I picked up a copy of this this year too... still sitting in Sarasota, but I'm just hoping mine comes back at least a 5 (as I bought it as a 6.0... didn't notice the large piece missing on the upper right side)

104-FN-.jpg