• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sign or not sign? ASM 700.

6 posts in this topic

Hey folks! I acquired a raw ASM700 ditko variant. Should I slab blue or get Stan the mans signature on it?

I’d guesstimate it would be a 9.4 - 9.6 copy. Don’t think it’s a 9.8 because of a few spine creases. 

Any suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

probably depends on your intentions.  If its for financial reasons, I would look up expected realizable values and compare to the costs of getting it done. Use your own personal preferences in creating a cost/benefit analysis and make your own decision based on your own criteria.

If its for personal reasons, take the cost into consideration and try to estimate the marginal joy of having the signed copy vs the unsigned copy.  Is it worth the cost to you personally?  Will you be getting it signed personally?  Does that experience add extra value? 

Only you can answer this question for yourself, assuming you have the requisite math and reasoning skills.

On 12/13/2017 at 12:47 PM, revat said:

probably depends on your intentions.  If its for financial reasons, I would look up expected realizable values and compare to the costs of getting it done. Use your own personal preferences in creating a cost/benefit analysis and make your own decision based on your own criteria.

If its for personal reasons, take the cost into consideration and try to estimate the marginal joy of having the signed copy vs the unsigned copy.  Is it worth the cost to you personally?  Will you be getting it signed personally?  Does that experience add extra value? 

Only you can answer this question for yourself, assuming you have the requisite math and reasoning skills.

Thanks for the feedback.

Most books I purchase are for my PC, but honestly speaking, this is a book I’d like to resell with hopes of making a profit after the signing. I’ve seen raw copies on eBay sell for over $500 and graded copies for near double and signed for much more depending on the grade.

So I’m trying to get a gauge on if it would be worth the hassle. Sadly, I don’t think I’ll be able to get the signature in person. 

I can do the numbers myself, just figured I’d ask to see if this would be a good idea. Thanks!

Normally I do not collect SS books (don't want to take away from the cover art) and also don't particularly like Stan Lee signed books in general that he wasn't directly involved with writing the story for.

That being said......I went against both of those personal preferences when I had my ASM 700 9.8 Ditko variant signed by SL because I liked the idea of having both the Ditko cover and Stan's signature, the two guys who really got the ASM series started, both represented on this "last" ASM issue. 

Don’t think it will come back a 9.8 and I didn’t request any pressing. Maybe 9.6 or 9.4. Great cover so I’ll be happy either way.

I agree with the Ditko and Lee mash up on this one too. Sent it in for the signature so just got to hope for the best with grade, signature and placement.

Edited by rogue14
Spelling