• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like IGB are back at it
1 1

75 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fishbone said:

Listen, am I a fan of restored 9.4 books ? Can I even understand HOW a book can get a 9.4 and a restored designation both at the same time ? No.

But, I'm also not going to start criticizing this book without knowing what it's all about.  Some on here make comments like "I'd take a 2.5 Universal over this one any day", but the point being these Action 1's don't grow on trees. If the supply was greater than demand, then these books wouldn't be priced in the stratosphere as they are every single time they come up for sale.  And many of us would have a 2.5 Universal in our collection. But we don't, because they just don't exist.

Restored keys are the only way for a lot of diehard collectors to fill the need that geeks like us have to own these very rare, very cool funny books.

If I have a  source of "distrust" regarding these ultra high grade restored copies, it is that CGC will not grade them. And I applaud them for not grading that which they do not have , or cannot gather, enough information about. Not knowing where something starts, or where it ends -  I can understand how that would be difficult to quantify. If it is a restored key, like the restored we are all "used to", that can be graded by looking at it and determining what is original and what is not , and communicate that effectively, then a restored Action 1 should command a solid, high price - why not?

Someone mentioned lawsuit? Can someone expand on that here as to what is happening there  (CGC and Igb?), if it's allowed in this forum. I'm not aware of the details, is it common knowledge.?

Yes there was a thread regarding a lawsuit between CGC/CCS and IGP Corp in which Mark Zaid was handling.  I dunno what happened to the thread if it had been yanked out or its latest status.

Just wondering what you're all making of this line in Metro's description:

"High-grade copies of Action Comics #1 don't just turn up every day, and the highest-graded unrestored copies are 9.0 (believe us, we kinda know). "

Interestingly, in the email I got yesterday it said "... 9.0 (believe us, we know)".

Two questions for the boards:

1. How did "we know" become "we kinda know"?

2. I thought the consensus was that the Church copy was 9.4ish. Is Metro saying that's wrong, or that it's not unrestored? :o

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Just wondering what you're all making of this line in Metro's description:

"High-grade copies of Action Comics #1 don't just turn up every day, and the highest-graded unrestored copies are 9.0 (believe us, we kinda know). "

Interestingly, in the email I got yesterday it said "... 9.0 (believe us, we know)".

Two questions for the boards:

2. I thought the consensus was that the Church copy was 9.4ish. Is Metro saying that's wrong, or that it's not unrestored? :o

This is correct. There are 2 9.0 CGC copies, and they sold both of them. So they do in fact know.

The Church copy is not graded. If it were, it would likely grade 9.2/9.4. As that day has not yet come, as per CGC census the top grade is 9.0

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, AJD said:

Metro must now think they are "kinda" a big deal.

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

This is correct. There are 2 9.0 CGC copies, and they sold both of them. So they do in fact know.

The Church copy is not graded. If it were, it would likely grade 9.2/9.4. As that day has not yet come, as per CGC census the top grade is 9.0

B'oh! Late night reading comprehension fail. Somehow I managed to miss "graded" in that sentence. :blush: 

The book was possibly a 1.0/1.5 when it first started out. Looking at the Meyers' past buying, it was likely a mid grade (5.0-6.5 restored) before it finally ended up 9.4

Edited by Gotham Kid

If we look at it in terms of percentages, how much is required for a book to be an original copy with restoration? 50% original/50% restored? 40% original/60% restored? 30% original/70% restored? What's the "tipping point" for when a book is defined as a reproduction that includes some original parts?

2 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

If we look at it in terms of percentages, how much is required for a book to be an original copy with restoration? 50% original/50% restored? 40% original/60% restored? 30% original/70% restored? What's the "tipping point" for when a book is defined as a reproduction that includes some original parts?

:fear:

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Now that’s a question best answered by either Col. Steve Austin or Deathlok. I’m sure they’d be full of opinions... :devil:

On 12/12/2017 at 8:03 AM, Hudson said:

I would rather a universal 3.0 (probably even lower).  There is just no telling how much of that book is "real".   

If I take a single staple or page from an original AC1 and recreate the rest, do I really own an AC1???(shrug)

i would like before and after photos of "restored" books, much like you often see with restored cars. 

plus one billiion.   back in the day I thought sure that would soon or at least eventually be the norm, with people asking for before and after photos as a matter of course, and third parties giving detailed descriptions of what was done and by whom.

Edited by bluechip

On 12/16/2017 at 4:54 PM, bronze johnny said:

As I recall from the old thread (since deleted?) where they engaged with Matt Nelson, this was an issue that CGC was mulling over in deciding whether to grade their books.