• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk art day, Keown style!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi Folks, 

I don't normally bother with art day type posts, at least not for a few years, but this page is a bit special.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440965

Not quite the one the got away, but the one that was a scam, and then @Nexus helped to save the day.  

Enjoy, I know I am!

Simon

1 minute ago, JadeGiant said:

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the back story on this one – I hope you can get the other piece as well … maybe the story will shake it free of it’s current’s black hole residence.

I'm good on the black hole piece - that was just a cool eBay purchase (well, not really), but not something I would buy today if it came up.  The Keown Hulk page on the other hand...

14 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Hi Folks, 

I don't normally bother with art day type posts, at least not for a few years, but this page is a bit special.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440965

Not quite the one the got away, but the one that was a scam, and then @Nexus helped to save the day.  

Enjoy, I know I am!

Simon

Wow, I'd forgotten about this! Amazing that this page showed up, and you had a real chance this time to get it. Congrats!

I remember how this went down. The scammer was in France. Someone else had recently tried to scam me on eBay, who was also from France. So I had an idea of how to deal with it. I think also why I felt especially aggrieved for you...I could relate!

One thing I did, was look the guy up via French white pages (yes, they've got them there, too!). And I called him. His MOM picked up. She handed the phone over to him. I told him he'd better return the money, or I'd tell his mom. So that's how Simon got his money back. LOL!

1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I'm good on the black hole piece - that was just a cool eBay purchase (well, not really), but not something I would buy today if it came up.  The Keown Hulk page on the other hand...

That other piece actually DID show up, legitimately, a couple years later on HA. That owner (who doesn't share his art, and is otherwise very private) had decided to get out of OA by then. So actually, you COULD have had both by now!

44 minutes ago, Nexus said:

One thing I did, was look the guy up via French white pages (yes, they've got them there, too!). And I called him. His MOM picked up. She handed the phone over to him. I told him he'd better return the money, or I'd tell his mom. So that's how Simon got his money back. LOL!

Hilarious. Good job Felix.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Wow, I'd forgotten about this! Amazing that this page showed up, and you had a real chance this time to get it. Congrats!

I remember how this went down. The scammer was in France. Someone else had recently tried to scam me on eBay, who was also from France. So I had an idea of how to deal with it. I think also why I felt especially aggrieved for you...I could relate!

Hmmm, I don't recall you calling him - I had a friend in France try and call him with no luck, so maybe that was your scammer?  I think it was just pressure on him (he had a CAF at the time) and the fact that I wasn't willing to put in a fraudulent insurance claim that got him to cave.  He tried to BS me saying the money was gone to his kids already, etc etc.  Fun times walking down memory lane!

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

That other piece actually DID show up, legitimately, a couple years later on HA. That owner (who doesn't share his art, and is otherwise very private) had decided to get out of OA by then. So actually, you COULD have had both by now!

Ha!  Well, the price on that one probably increased by 4x like the Keown did, definitely putting it out of my reach!

23 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Hmmm, I don't recall you calling him - I had a friend in France try and call him with no luck, so maybe that was your scammer?  I think it was just pressure on him (he had a CAF at the time) and the fact that I wasn't willing to put in a fraudulent insurance claim that got him to cave.  He tried to BS me saying the money was gone to his kids already, etc etc.  Fun times walking down memory lane!

Maybe? It was 10 years ago, but a lot of it is coming back. I think his name was Julien? What I remember most is that he copped to the scam immediately, never tried to deny it, and expressed remorse over his actions. Atypical. That he did return the money shows it was very possibly genuine. Just another bizarre hobby tale!

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Maybe? It was 10 years ago, but a lot of it is coming back. I think his name was Julien? What I remember most is that he copped to the scam immediately, never tried to deny it, and expressed remorse over his actions. Atypical. That he did return the money shows it was very possibly genuine. Just another bizarre hobby tale!

Yup, Julien, and correct, as soon as you helped me know it was indeed a scam he owned up to it.  Told me the only way to get my money back was to submit an insurance claim, which I wasn't willing to do.