• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtAds Auction Preview (UPDATED--Heritage weekly ending 12/9/18)
1 1

131 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, tlatner said:

Lee -- thanks for posting these!  They're fun to read -- even if it's almost impossible to accurately predict what's going to happen on Heritage from one week to the next.  

You speak the truth here. I’ve been using comps to aid my guesses on Comic Art Tracker and I still miss my mark. By a lot. 

Lee, great guess on that Star Wars page. I didn’t put in a guess for this past week but I was tracking that pinup Sam Kieth did for Fish Police. I had it at $450 and I think it ended at $525 with bp. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

Hi all!  If you need a break from fretting about whether the federal government will shut down, please check out my latest ComicArtAds auction preview for the Heritage weekly auction ending this Sunday:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-12118

This week's auction isn't quite as exciting as in previous weeks, but there still are a few fun pieces that inspired me to make some closing-price predictions.  Cheers, Lee

This week the Curt Swan Superman Movie Special (Superman III) #1 p. 31 is of interest to me. This page is up there among the group as far as price is concerned. A similar page sold for $310 in last year so I say this one sells for that much too.

The other piece of interest is the G.I. Joe: A.R.A.H. "Dusty" illustration. These are interesting because they tend to be single figure pin-up with no background. Not too long ago, on of Herb Trimpe's heirs (nephew) was selling a Buzzsaw illstration from one of GI Joe's "handbooks." The piece had no background or signature. The minimum bid was $400 and it had no bidders. This HA piece has no background, but it is signed and is drawn on Marvel board. The signature and the board gives me piece of mind regarding provenance. My guess is that this ends at $325.

I'm a little late here and I'm cheating by guessing the morning before, but these prices can go any which way.

21 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

This week the Curt Swan Superman Movie Special (Superman III) #1 p. 31 is of interest to me. This page is up there among the group as far as price is concerned. A similar page sold for $310 in last year so I say this one sells for that much too.

The other piece of interest is the G.I. Joe: A.R.A.H. "Dusty" illustration. These are interesting because they tend to be single figure pin-up with no background. Not too long ago, on of Herb Trimpe's heirs (nephew) was selling a Buzzsaw illstration from one of GI Joe's "handbooks." The piece had no background or signature. The minimum bid was $400 and it had no bidders. This HA piece has no background, but it is signed and is drawn on Marvel board. The signature and the board gives me piece of mind regarding provenance. My guess is that this ends at $325.

I'm a little late here and I'm cheating by guessing the morning before, but these prices can go any which way.

One out of two ain't bad Jay!  I don't think I've made a prediction as correct as your Curt Swan Superman Movie prediction, which finished at $310.70, including BP.  The "Dusty" illustration prediction, on the other hand, was a bit off, but I have no idea about G.I. Joe art and am in no position to judge.  Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

8 hours ago, Lee B. said:

One out of two ain't bad Jay!  I don't think I've made a prediction as correct as your Curt Swan Superman Movie prediction, which finished at $310.70, including BP.  The "Dusty" illustration prediction, on the other hand, was a bit off, but I have no idea about G.I. Joe art and am in no position to judge.  Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

The Swan-Superman III prediction was a once in a lifetime hole-in-one. The Joe art on the other hand, is more in tune with how bad I miss my marks. This is kind of like gambling or the stockmarket--all you need is one winner to make you :wink:

Yeah, I'm still learning the G.I. Joe market, trying to get a handle on it when the right page pops up for me. But despite how well I know the market, it will always come down to how much I'm willing to spend.

This week there are more Curt Swan-Superman pages I'll guess on. The weird one I'll take a shot at is that wacky Marvel jam piece.

Looking forward to your next segment.

Hi all!  It's Friday night, which means I am long-overdue to post some predictions for this Sunday's Heritage weekly auction.  You can read about my predictions, and how well I did last week, on the ComicArtAds website:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-12818

Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

Hi all!  I just posted my most recent predictions for this week's Heritage auction, as well as a recap of my bids from last week.  I went out on a limb this time around to try to predict a value on the Neal Adams Phantom Stranger page, as well as a John Byrne cover making its third appearance on Heritage in less than three years:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-2418

Best regards, Lee

On 2/1/2018 at 6:23 PM, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  I just posted my most recent predictions for this week's Heritage auction, as well as a recap of my bids from last week.  I went out on a limb this time around to try to predict a value on the Neal Adams Phantom Stranger page, as well as a John Byrne cover making its third appearance on Heritage in less than three years:

Best regards, Lee

Very nice set of pages to guess on. I'm curious to know how the Super Bowl will affect bidding?

On 2/1/2018 at 9:23 PM, Lee B. said:

Best regards, Lee

You were right on the money with that one. Now the buyer is trying to sell it. 

45 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You were right on the money with that one. Now the buyer is trying to sell it. 

24 hours later?!?  That belongs in the (Attempted) Flip of the Day thread.  What is the new-and-improved asking price, or is it "inquire"?

5 hours ago, Lee B. said:

24 hours later?!?  That belongs in the (Attempted) Flip of the Day thread.  What is the new-and-improved asking price, or is it "inquire"?

More like an "inquire." What popped up was: "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining Offers." I expect a real number will pop up in a few weeks or so.  

26 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

More like an "inquire." What popped up was: "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining Offers." I expect a real number will pop up in a few weeks or so.  

You saw this on ha? 

That's meaningless, it's a standard ha feature 

Malvin 

Regarding this past HA auction on Feb 4, otherwise Super Bowl Sunday: All my guesses were under. One was actually on the spot with the final hammer price, but with the BP, I'm off by 19.50%. I'm convinced that artwork doesn't (no longer?) go under the radar during holidays or major sporting events.

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Regarding this past HA auction on Feb 4, otherwise Super Bowl Sunday: All my guesses were under. One was actually on the spot with the final hammer price, but with the BP, I'm off by 19.50%. I'm convinced that artwork doesn't (no longer?) go under the radar during holidays or major sporting events.

artwork no longer goes under the radar anywhere!  

All my usual fishing holes (on sale during holidays, wrong category on ebay, obscure auction houses, etc) are pretty much getting full value these days :cry:

Malvin

1 hour ago, malvin said:

All my usual fishing holes (on sale during holidays, wrong category on ebay, obscure auction houses, etc) are pretty much getting full value these days :cry:

I stopped beating the bushes hard around 2009/10, my time wasn't being rewarded correctly that long ago. You?