• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtAds Auction Preview (UPDATED--Heritage weekly ending 12/9/18)
1 1

131 posts in this topic

Hello all!  After reading about @ O.'s challenges in fitting auction previews into his schedule, I decided to try to pick up some slack by posting previews of Heritage's weekly auctions on my ComicArtAds website.  The first edition is now online:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-121717#

I will try to do this every week, picking pieces that are interesting to me, providing some information on related sales/listings, and predicting a final price for each of these pieces. 

I hope you enjoy this, and please let me know here if you have any feedback on anything.  Best regards, Lee

Edited by Lee B.

4 minutes ago, Garry Ghoul said:

Great Lee! But we need your pre auction estimates on the Green Berets sunday, the Taliaferro Donald Duck...

Thanks Jerome!  I'll try to get out of my comfort zone a bit more for next week's report.  Cheers, Lee

2 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Hello all!  After reading about @ O.'s challenges in fitting auction previews into his schedule, I decided to try to pick up some slack by posting previews of Heritage's weekly auctions on my ComicArtAds website.  The first edition is now online:

I will try to do this every week, picking pieces that are interesting to me, providing some information on related sales/listings, and predicting a final price for each of these pieces. 

I hope you enjoy this, and please let me know here if you have any feedback on anything.  Best regards, Lee

That's fun Lee and it will keep bringing eyeballs to your site when you're too busy to do scanning!

I think you should qualify if your guess include BP or not ;)

I am rooting for the hokey Plastino piece, and I think the hammer will go over Lee's $2200, because it is so representative of that era, it is large, good condition, main characters, all sending it higher when the bidding gets competitive.  I don't have any skin in this, but it is a fun exercise!  David

Edited by aokartman
text edit

2 hours ago, aokartman said:

I am rooting for the hokey Plastino piece, and I think the hammer will go over Lee's $2200, because it is so representative of that era, it is large, good condition, main characters, all sending it higher when the bidding gets competitive.  I don't have any skin in this, but it is a fun exercise!  David

Game on David!  The Plastino is a very nice example.  I wonder whether there is any DC large art fatigue with all the pieces from the Ethan Roberts collection coming up for auction this year.  It's certainly an exceptionally good page for a Heritage weekly auction.

And great point about BP or not BP, Michael!  My guesstimates all include BPs.  Best, Lee

10 hours ago, Lee B. said:

:applause:

Great article Lee, already looking forward to the next one!

Really happy that we have another outlet to showcase and discuss OA, keep up the good work(thumbsu

5 hours ago, O. said:

:applause:

Great article Lee, already looking forward to the next one!

Really happy that we have another outlet to showcase and discuss OA, keep up the good work(thumbsu

It takes a village, my friend.  (And maybe I'll end up the village insufficiently_thoughtful_person!)  Keep up the good work yourself!  Best, Lee

Just now, Lee B. said:

It takes a village, my friend.  (And maybe I'll end up the village insufficiently_thoughtful_person!)  Keep up the good work yourself!  Best, Lee

So that's what "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" means!

On 12/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, Garry Ghoul said:

Great Lee! But we need your pre auction estimates on the Green Berets sunday, the Taliaferro Donald Duck...

I will predict the Donald Duck over the Kubert Sunday (currently 400 v. 200).  Comic art betting, a concept waiting to be monetized. 

Full disclosure, I did once own a Green Berets daily, currently own a Duck daily.  David

So, it appears Lee did a good job with his prognostications!  A little under here, a little over there, but a nice showing.

And...my prediction on the Duck Sunday art over the Kubert Green Berets ($1900 v. 1300) came true!  

I'm looking forward to this week's  artworks in his spotlight.  I hope Lee can continue this!

How about the Walt Kelly Pogo certificate art result, $5000, a great price that surprised me a little bit.

David

25 minutes ago, aokartman said:

So, it appears Lee did a good job with his prognostications!  A little under here, a little over there, but a nice showing.

And...my prediction on the Duck Sunday art over the Kubert Green Berets ($1900 v. 1300) came true!  

I'm looking forward to this week's  artworks in his spotlight.  I hope Lee can continue this!

How about the Walt Kelly Pogo certificate art result, $5000, a great price that surprised me a little bit.

David

The big surprise for the week was the Bloom County piece. 3.1K, wow!

Malvin

57 minutes ago, aokartman said:

David

Thanks for the kind words David!  And congrats on your Duck v. Kubert prediction!  Sunday strip art is a bit outside of my wheelhouse. 

I have just posted my second installment, where I review my predictions and highlight some interesting pieces from this week's Heritage auction ending 12/24/17:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-122417

By the way, if anyone can tell me how I can edit this thread title, I would appreciate it.  I have tried clicking and holding on the thread title, but that doesn't seem to allow me to edit the title.  Alternately, if folks would like to see a new thread each week, I can do that instead.  Cheers, Lee

36 minutes ago, malvin said:

The big surprise for the week was the Bloom County piece. 3.1K, wow!

Malvin

Why was that Bloom County result surprising Malvin?  I don't follow that market it all.  Was it a really strong result, or weak?  Thanks, Lee