• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtAds Auction Preview (UPDATED--Heritage weekly ending 12/9/18)
1 1

131 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

It wasn't just the JLA page with the Phantom Stranger on it. It was also $3,840 for the Adam Strange wedding page--a character so lacking in current appeal that DC just cancelled the planned two volume reprint of his Strange Adventure stories. I would be surprised if this happens again for a long time. 

Maybe I should consign this JLA #121 page to HA and try and settle this matter?  :)

lXbPuuEa_2909142129571.jpg

38 minutes ago, Will_K said:

It's the better of the 2 pages.  Should we guess the reserve now or wait ??

If I were bidding and could tolerate the pricing, I would have gone with wedding. I have a soft spot for scenes like that over typical action scenes. Do you have any idea how rare romantic Phantom Stranger pages are?

AparoLastPage.jpg

I wanted to mention that as I write this on Friday morning, this Dillin piece's last bid is $234. With the homage to JLA #1, I would expect this to do better in the bidding right now if this were a normal market. Who knows? Maybe it too will climb to over $3,000.

image.png.a076a12ea980258e2d20c7a4b3c3d148.png

Regarding the earlier suspicious activities about Dillin artwork, the above piece with Despero just sold last night for $850, or with the Buyer's Premium for $1,020. That's in line with Lee's earlier predictions of price and slightly less than another piece from the prior week. Which means, that the two Dillin JLA pages which sold for well over $3,000 each are clearly outliers and remain as apparent examples of shill bidding used to drive up the market price. It also supports my theory that what all of us write on these boards influences the prices being bid. The prices came down after I attacked those earlier $3,000 amounts, as well as his artwork, and many people who commented felt the Dillin prices were more a function of nostalgia than anything else.

There are a bunch more coming up on Heritage in 2 weeks. I'm curious if we have seen the last of the $3,000 Dillins.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Regarding the earlier suspicious activities about Dillin artwork, the above piece with Despero just sold last night for $850, or with the Buyer's Premium for $1,020. That's in line with Lee's earlier predictions of price and slightly less than another piece from the prior week. Which means, that the two Dillin JLA pages which sold for well over $3,000 each are clearly outliers and remain as apparent examples of shill bidding used to drive up the market price.

Hi Rick!  I didn't have time to write up the weekly Heritage auctions that ended last night, but I did check the Dillin page that you mentioned and was satisfied to see it settle into the range that I thought was generally appropriate.  Unusually high prices could always be the result of shilling, but by the same token lower prices can be the result of collusion (i.e., a bidder asking other potential bidders to "step aside" and not bid on a particular auction).  I am leaning toward thinking the two usually high prices for Dillin JLA art over the past month or so resulted from two collectors really wanting an exceptional Dillin JLA page and bidding it up.

I thought the more impressive result from last night was the very strong performance of this Gulacy/Gulacy (pretty rare, no?) Master of Kung Fu panel page that finished at $5,760:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-gulacy-master-of-kung-fu-40-story-page-5-original-art-marvel-1976-/a/121850-13072.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That barely edged out the highest-priced MOKF panel page in Heritage's archives, a action-free Gulacy/Adkins page featuring the Cat from 2016:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paul-gulacy-and-dan-adkins-master-of-kung-fu-39-page-2-original-art-marvel-1976-/a/121649-11046.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Last night's page only featured Shang-Chi in one panel, from the back, but had a middle panel with interesting perspectives, and amazing inking throughout.  Congrats to the winner, and consignor!  Best, Lee

Just revisiting a piece that I had previously predicted on: Superman 267 by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson This is just a good example of volatile prices on quick flips (whether or not the intention was to derive huge profits or not). The page sold on November 19, 2016 for an impressive $2,031.50 with the juice. Then again just over a year later on Jan 7, 2018 for $896.25 with the juice. What a bath. This it sold again yesterday, Dec 16, 2018, just a few weeks shy of the 1-year mark for $1,140. A little better but after fees I'd say breaking even is the best case scenario. 

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this, but here you see wildly different ceilings and floors. You also get a median price which is helpful. I wonder what a fourth sale would bring in a year or two? I wonder if the second seller had just held on to it a little longer whether the piece would've done much better than $1140? There certainly was a lot of room for profit margin.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:49 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I wanted to mention that as I write this on Friday morning, this Dillin piece's last bid is $234. With the homage to JLA #1, I would expect this to do better in the bidding right now if this were a normal market. Who knows? Maybe it too will climb to over $3,000.

I thought it was an interesting page.  However, it has "ponytail Zatanna".  So... PASS !!  I wonder if "fishnet Zatanna" would've made a difference.

8 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I am leaning toward thinking the two usually high prices for Dillin JLA art over the past month or so resulted from two collectors really wanting an exceptional Dillin JLA page and bidding it up.

Hi Lee,

But, they aren't exceptional, and it is Dillin. The Phantom Stranger standing on the Batjet wing? All the characters are secondary, too. I can see a premium for Adam Strange's wedding, but that high?

Look how many are coming up in the weeks ahead. Some of them are just as good (if that's the word to use in this context). I'm curious if that will cause a price drop what with the number on the market. 

It's great you have the time to write these things up.

Rick

Edited by Rick2you2

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Just revisiting a piece that I had previously predicted on: Superman 267 by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson This is just a good example of volatile prices on quick flips (whether or not the intention was to derive huge profits or not). The page sold on November 19, 2016 for an impressive $2,031.50 with the juice. Then again just over a year later on Jan 7, 2018 for $896.25 with the juice. What a bath. This it sold again yesterday, Dec 16, 2018, just a few weeks shy of the 1-year mark for $1,140. A little better but after fees I'd say breaking even is the best case scenario. 

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this, but here you see wildly different ceilings and floors. You also get a median price which is helpful. I wonder what a fourth sale would bring in a year or two? I wonder if the second seller had just held on to it a little longer whether the piece would've done much better than $1140? There certainly was a lot of room for profit margin.

Don't forget this is a thin market. Not a lot of people buy this stuff, as compared to say, rare cars. And of those who do, the number interested in that classic pair is also less. So wide fluctuations shouldn't be too surprising. Now if several similar ones sold for a similar price, that's something. What do similar pages go for?