• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtAds Auction Preview (UPDATED--Heritage weekly ending 12/9/18)
1 1

131 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lee B. said:

Why was that Bloom County result surprising Malvin?  I don't follow that market it all.  Was it a really strong result, or weak?  Thanks, Lee

strong! Dailies are around 1K if it has decent content (obviously better content is more) A Sunday sold criminally cheap recently for 1.7K recently (I would have bid had I known it was going that low).  I don't think it was fully stated what the illo was used for, so 3.1k surprised me (and a friend who was actually bidding and tapped out well before 3k)

Malvin

1 hour ago, malvin said:

strong! Dailies are around 1K if it has decent content (obviously better content is more) A Sunday sold criminally cheap recently for 1.7K recently (I would have bid had I known it was going that low).  I don't think it was fully stated what the illo was used for, so 3.1k surprised me (and a friend who was actually bidding and tapped out well before 3k)

Malvin

I sold 2 dailies for $1600 recently. I'll have a Sunday for sale early next year.

6 hours ago, Lee B. said:

By the way, if anyone can tell me how I can edit this thread title, I would appreciate it.  I have tried clicking and holding on the thread title, but that doesn't seem to allow me to edit the title.  Alternately, if folks would like to see a new thread each week, I can do that instead.  Cheers, Lee

Lee, you can edit the topic title when you edit the topic's first post. You can only do this for one year from the first post though. I'd suggest keeping all your posts to this thread, for ease of reference.

BTW I'm predicting $1.3k for this week's Keown Hulk #387 page:popcorn:

On 12/18/2017 at 9:08 PM, O. said:

Lee, you can edit the topic title when you edit the topic's first post. You can only do this for one year from the first post though. I'd suggest keeping all your posts to this thread, for ease of reference.

BTW I'm predicting $1.3k for this week's Keown Hulk #387 page:popcorn:

Thanks for the editing tip D.O.! 

I think $1.3K for the Keown page would be a pretty strong result. 

However, there aren't a lot of solid Keown Hulk examples available on CAF for less than $1.5K, so I suppose there could be some interest at over $1K. 

It will be interesting to watch that one for sure!  Cheers, Lee

Hi everyone!  I just posted a new installment of my Heritage weekly art auction previews at ComicArtAds:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-123117#overlay-context=

For this past weekly auction, I did pretty well with three out of four predictions.  This week I highlight art featuring Captain America, the Phantom Stranger, Spider-Man, and the Transformers.

Thanks for reading!  Cheers, Lee

Edited by Lee B.

6 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

Hi everyone!  I just posted a new installment of my Heritage weekly art auction previews at ComicArtAds:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-13117

For this past weekly auction, I did pretty well with three out of four predictions.  This week I highlight art featuring Captain America, the Phantom Stranger, Spider-Man, and the Transformers.

Thanks for reading!  Cheers, Lee

Mine says "ending 1/31/17"

Hey Lee,

I'm no expert on Transformers art, but as a collector who'd like to pick up a nice example from my "first" comics, Transformers fits the bill so I've been paying more attention to comps. Like you, I also wonder if there is a preference for one art team over another? Which art team is more desirable is a debate better left out of this post. If you ask me, I don't think Transformers art is all that impressive no matter who penciled it. Covers not withstanding, of course. I hope I stir the pot a bit to get someone school me on why Transformers art is fantastic. 

That said, I think the reason why page 6 in Transformers #25 ended where it did is really because of the strong presence of Megatron with some decent action in it, and not because it was a Perlin/Aiken/Garvey production. IIRC, a fellow board member was selling that page with an asking price higher than the final auction price. Although I can't say whether he was the one who won it at that particular auction and tried to sell it later. It'd be great to hear his thoughts on the price though.

As far as page 18 from Transformers #29? Every panel has a Transformer in it so I think that'll influence the price more than the art team. What might be pulling in the reins is that there isn't any "name brand" Transformers on the page. I'd also like to think that the auction ending on New Year's Eve will have a negative impact on the final price. I think that your estimate of $450 is a very good one. I'll play the counter argument, however, and say that it barely breaks $400 with the juice :)

Thanks for these articles. I look forward to them each week.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your articles, it's interesting to see how other collectors evaluate items, what factors they take into account and how they value them. It's really valuable to me, as I'm European and factors and weights are definitely not always the same!

Feel free to add your guesses to this ComicArtTracker page: http://comicarttracker.com/en/heritage-auctions/2017-12-31/guess 

I hope that other collectors will also play the game... the more the merrier! :)

On 12/27/2017 at 5:35 PM, aokartman said:

Great article, Lee!  Based on the provenance you described, I am going back to my Comic Art Tracker and adjusting the Cap page upwards.  Best, David

$286.80 final. It would have been Lee's $400 if I bid. But I didn't. All my ways to access HA (internet and cell) were down last night and...such is life. Shame though...I have the page after and would have loved to put them together. Anyway, as I've posted in other threads lately...it seems my bid represents, often, the last bid or underbid on many things and when I don't bid we see much lower final figures. In this case at least $100 was lost to Ethan's wife and son.

Well, Lee, it looks like we both got killed on the Transformer page. I got more murdered than you though. $550 final bid, $657 with the juice. Only the winner and underbidder know what makes this special, but my guess still is that there's a Transformer on every panel. Also, my theory that an auction ending on New Year's Eve would see many pieces flying under the radar was completely annihilated.

I just noticed that this piece ended for the exact amount of that other Perlin/Aiken/Garvey page from Transformers #25.

Edited by Jay Olie Espy
Added post --script

Good morning and happy new year!  I just posted my new Heritage weekly auction preview, for the current auction ending 1/7/18:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-1718

This week's auction has some very cool pieces, including a panel page that is already up to $10,000 in bidding.  Thanks in advance for checking out the column!  Best regards, Lee

23 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Well, Lee, it looks like we both got killed on the Transformer page. I got more murdered than you though. $550 final bid, $657 with the juice. Only the winner and underbidder know what makes this special, but my guess still is that there's a Transformer on every panel. Also, my theory that an auction ending on New Year's Eve would see many pieces flying under the radar was completely annihilated.

I just noticed that this piece ended for the exact amount of that other Perlin/Aiken/Garvey page from Transformers #25.

As I mentioned in my new column, I am totally mystified by Transformers prices.  Maybe Don Perlin is more beloved than Jose Delbo when it comes to art from this series.  I agree that there was no New Year's Eve effect.  Art collectors would rather spend their money on art than champagne, it seems.  Best, Lee

15 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

As I mentioned in my new column, I am totally mystified by Transformers prices.  Maybe Don Perlin is more beloved than Jose Delbo when it comes to art from this series.  I agree that there was no New Year's Eve effect.  Art collectors would rather spend their money on art than champagne, it seems.  Best, Lee

Ha ha yeah! These same collectors who would rather drink someone else's champagne than spend their OA money on their own NYE party (:

I really like how you included some old ads in this week's write up. Those Jedi ads are pretty cool.

54 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

As I mentioned in my new column, I am totally mystified by Transformers prices.  Maybe Don Perlin is more beloved than Jose Delbo when it comes to art from this series.  

I don't think it has anything to do with the artist.  The first 30 issues or so all had the classic characters and had more grounded plots.  After that, they got pretty far out there - things like a brainwashing car wash, some kids getting shot into space, or a secret base masquerading as a beach resort.  The characters they added were pretty weak as well.  I doubt anyone could name all the Seacons or pick the Pretenders out of a lineup.  I would always expect decent pages with characters introduced before or in the 1986 movie to perform better than those afterward, regardless of who drew them.  

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, bisquitodoom said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the artist.  The first 30 issues or so all had the classic characters and had more grounded plots.  After that, they got pretty far out there - things like a brainwashing car wash, some kids getting shot into space, or a secret base masquerading as a beach resort.  The characters they added were pretty weak as well.  I doubt anyone could name all the Seacons or pick the Pretenders out of a lineup.  I would always expect decent pages with characters introduced before or in the 1986 movie to perform better than those afterward, regardless of who drew them.  

Thanks for the Transformers insights!  That all makes sense.  There were so many characters in that book, I definitely can't keep them straight.

Dave Hunt, who inked several "later" issues of the series, told me that the book was not a lot of fun because of the phonebook-sized style guide he was forced to use to accurately depict the various characters.

I have to say, though, that the concept of brainwashing a car wash seems strangely compelling now that I have a salt-encrusted car.  Best, Lee

Hello all!  In the hopefully better-late-than-never department, I offer you the latest installment of the ComicArtAds Auction Preview for the Heritage weekly auction ending...tomorrow:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-11418

I was way low on my predictions from last week, with one $15K exception.  You can take this week's predictions with a grain of salt as they come a day before the auction ends.  I plan to be health and on track for next week.  Best, Lee

21 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Hello all!  In the hopefully better-late-than-never department, I offer you the latest installment of the ComicArtAds Auction Preview for the Heritage weekly auction ending...tomorrow:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-11418

I was way low on my predictions from last week, with one $15K exception.  You can take this week's predictions with a grain of salt as they come a day before the auction ends.  I plan to be health and on track for next week.  Best, Lee

One heartbreaking (for me) exception. Public (outdated comps) on these Williamson pages were in the 3-4k range so when the proxy hit 10k days out I knew I was done.  Curious where this puts Williamson Blade Runner pages (also WTB). Whoever won that ROTJ page, congrats a beautiful piece of art.

18 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Curious where this puts Williamson Blade Runner pages (also WTB). Whoever won that ROTJ page, congrats a beautiful piece of art.

I think this was a case of Star Wars bump plus fortuitous timing right after the new movie.