• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any point having less than 9.8 for modern comics?

12 posts in this topic

I've just started collecting again after decades so I've got a lot of catching up to do. A number of modern comics I wouldn't mind having, are available for 9.2's-94's for reasonable prices (say less than $150), but as soon as you get to 9.8 the prices for almost anything shoots up to a few hundred dollars. So my question is, is the extra money worth it for a comic which might only be 15 years old or in some examples a lot less? or a 9.2/9.4 pointless for such a new comic? This might be a completely dumb question, but like I say I've got a lot to learn :)

If you are buying books with the intention of making money off them in a few years with little starting capital you should stick with raw books. Very few graded books from the past 30 years are worth putting money into as a buyer if they are not 9.8s. And most 9.8s from the past 30 years are currently overvalued. 

58 minutes ago, darkstar said:

If you are buying books with the intention of making money off them in a few years with little starting capital you should stick with raw books. Very few graded books from the past 30 years are worth putting money into as a buyer if they are not 9.8s. And most 9.8s from the past 30 years are currently overvalued. 

What about new 9.8's? say something like TAH22 ?

35 minutes ago, darkstar said:

There is no reason from a financial standpoint to pay a premium for a recently released graded book. 

And I agree, but taking TAH22 as an example. Slabbed 9.8 say $120. Is that ever going to be cheaper than that? Even if the new series doesn't do well, I can't see it ending up in bargain bins and being anything less than what it already is. If anything it's probably just going to keep on rising.

2 hours ago, GettingBackIntoComics said:

And I agree, but taking TAH22 as an example. Slabbed 9.8 say $120. Is that ever going to be cheaper than that? Even if the new series doesn't do well, I can't see it ending up in bargain bins and being anything less than what it already is. If anything it's probably just going to keep on rising.

Darkstar is absolutely correct...' There is no reason from a financial standpoint to pay a premium for a recently released graded book. '. Your counterpoint is saying that certain books will probably never be cheaper. You are also absolutely correct. However, why take the risk and buy it slabbed ? Buy it cheaper, in a raw state. If it does rise, get your raw book slabbed. However, if it does not rise, you have only invested the cheaper raw funds. The bigger bucks is in getting your own raw books slabbed. Not buying someone else's. 

2 hours ago, GettingBackIntoComics said:

You could find raw copies that will grade 9.8 for much cheaper. If you are THAT interested in a character, sure splurge on a 9.8 and cross it off your list without wasting your time. But since you mentioned a having a financial interest in what you are collecting then your money is better spent elsewhere. You have to step back and realize how grossly overvalued modern graded books are across the board. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Darkstar is absolutely correct...' There is no reason from a financial standpoint to pay a premium for a recently released graded book. '. Your counterpoint is saying that certain books will probably never be cheaper. You are also absolutely correct. However, why take the risk and buy it slabbed ? Buy it cheaper, in a raw state. If it does rise, get your raw book slabbed. However, if it does not rise, you have only invested the cheaper raw funds. The bigger bucks is in getting your own raw books slabbed. Not buying someone else's. 

Amen. I don’t buy moderns (and would encourage you to buy older books) but this is exactly describes how anyone with a decent collection probably put it together. Years later you can cherry pick through it to get graded the books worth grading.  Take the slabbing money and buy multiples of what you like.  

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

8 hours ago, darkstar said:

You could find raw copies that will grade 9.8 for much cheaper. If you are THAT interested in a character, sure splurge on a 9.8 and cross it off your list without wasting your time. But since you mentioned a having a financial interest in what you are collecting then your money is better spent elsewhere. You have to step back and realize how grossly overvalued modern graded books are across the board. 

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Amen. I don’t buy moderns (and would encourage you to buy older books) but this is exactly describes how anyone with a decent collection probably put it together. Years later you can cherry pick through it to get graded the books worth grading.  Take the slabbing money and buy multiples of what you like.  

I completely agree with all of this advice, accept to say where are these under-graded comics? Maybe it's because I only buy from ebay, and probably worse still because I'm in the UK and for a lot of comics it's cheaper to buy them from the States, even with the $30 shipping on top, but nearly all the comics (from various titles and periods) I've looked at over the past few months have been graded to exactly what they are (at least going on the images supplied) or over-graded, which is why recently I've leaned more towards just buying slabbed where I can. And because older slabbed high grade comics are beyond my budget, that just leaves me with the new ones. I would love to find under-graded raw comics, but I hardly ever see them.

7 hours ago, GettingBackIntoComics said:

I completely agree with all of this advice, accept to say where are these under-graded comics? Maybe it's because I only buy from ebay, and probably worse still because I'm in the UK and for a lot of comics it's cheaper to buy them from the States, even with the $30 shipping on top, but nearly all the comics (from various titles and periods) I've looked at over the past few months have been graded to exactly what they are (at least going on the images supplied) or over-graded, which is why recently I've leaned more towards just buying slabbed where I can. And because older slabbed high grade comics are beyond my budget, that just leaves me with the new ones. I would love to find under-graded raw comics, but I hardly ever see them.

FYI, these Boards have a WTB (Want To Buy) thread. Maybe worth a try. I think Board members, in general,  would grade their books better than E-Bay. Also, watch the Board Sales threads. My advice is let the books come to you.