• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$200 to spend and too many options

16 posts in this topic

This sort of follows on from my less than 9.8 question, but I've got a few hundred bucks to spend and my ebay list of possibles is already 80+ strong. Here's the main options, which are mostly raw, but a few slabs are available as well, any guidance for someone getting back into things would be appreciated! :)

1. Fantastic Four #67 - low grade-mid grade (around $70-$200)
  2. SAGA #1 - I've seen some high grades go for around $150
  3. EOSV2 - Could get a slabbed 9.4 for about my budget I think.
  4. Marvel Premiere #1 - Mid-high grade for about $200
  5. Star Wars #1 - High-ish grade just about my budget.
  6. TRANSMETROPOLITAN #1 - High grade for my budget
  7. Runaways #1 - 9.6 for my budget (9.8 is just beyond)
  8. NM #98 - I think around a 9.2 for my budget
  9. Ms Marvel #1 - Around 9.4 for my budget
  10. X-men #129 - High grade, just about my budget. (Or a bunch of mid grade of any of the x-men around this era, which all look amazing).
  11. Infinity Gauntlet #1 - 9.8
  12. Savage She-hulk #1 - 9.8
  13. (From here on they are a lot cheaper so I could get a few)
  14. Postal #1 - 9.8
  15. Redneck #1 - 9.8
  16. Realm #1 - 9.8
  17. Seven to Eternity #1 - 9.8
  18. Monstress #1 - high grade
  19. Scalped #1 - mid-high grade.
  20. Alias #1 - high grade
  21. God Country #1 - high grade
  22. Revival #1 - high grade
  23. Scalped #1 - high grade

So I'm caught between going big on something expensive, and high-ish grade, or maybe get a few of the high grade cheaper modern comics. I should add I'm open to other suggestions!

Edited by GettingBackIntoComics

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

In your case, unless the book is in danger of having been restored you should stick to raw comics. Determining which of your choices is correct depends on why you are targeting the books for purchase. 

I can just about stretch to a 9.8 on some of those I've listed, such as Runaways #1 or EOSV #2. But you would still suggest going for raw?

11 minutes ago, GettingBackIntoComics said:

I can just about stretch to a 9.8 on some of those I've listed, such as Runaways #1 or EOSV #2. But you would still suggest going for raw?

The only graded 9.8 EOSV2 I would spend money on right now is the Land incentive variant. That isn't in your price range. With the amount of money you discussed I don't see reason to spend the money on a 9.8 regular cover. I would just buy multiple raw copies. Too easy to find under-priced and under-graded copies right now with the seasonal dip.

Runways #1? I can't imagine now is the best time to be buying a 9.8 copy of that book. I'd have to believe it's currently seeing historic highs, yes? 

48 minutes ago, darkstar said:

The only graded 9.8 EOSV2 I would spend money on right now is the Land incentive variant. That isn't in your price range. With the amount of money you discussed I don't see reason to spend the money on a 9.8 regular cover. I would just buy multiple raw copies. Too easy to find under-priced and under-graded copies right now with the seasonal dip.

Runways #1? I can't imagine now is the best time to be buying a 9.8 copy of that book. I'd have to believe it's currently seeing historic highs, yes? 

Not sure if you can see this link at go.collect ( http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/304759 ) but Runaways #1 9.8 seems to be a bit down recently, I'd had to add $50 to my budget but I could get one if thought that was a wise choice. As for EOSV2 regular cover, there seems to be about a $120 difference between a slabbed 9.8 and a VF/NM raw version. Which I guess means the raw is a good buy if it ends up grading that high, but looking at the go.collect charts a 9.8 slabbed of that has slowly been rising, consistently over time. I've gone back and forwards between these for a few days, on one hands there's the Runaways TV show which looks like it will run for at least 2 seasons, so there's probably room for #1 to keep on going, but then ESOV2 is perhaps a better long term (3-5 years +) buy. Or I could just ignore those and get a bunch of other cheaper things on the list :)

19 minutes ago, GettingBackIntoComics said:

Not sure if you can see this link at go.collect ( http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/304759 ) but Runaways #1 9.8 seems to be a bit down recently, I'd had to add $50 to my budget but I could get one if thought that was a wise choice. As for EOSV2 regular cover, there seems to be about a $120 difference between a slabbed 9.8 and a VF/NM raw version. Which I guess means the raw is a good buy if it ends up grading that high, but looking at the go.collect charts a 9.8 slabbed of that has slowly been rising, consistently over time. I've gone back and forwards between these for a few days, on one hands there's the Runaways TV show which looks like it will run for at least 2 seasons, so there's probably room for #1 to keep on going, but then ESOV2 is perhaps a better long term (3-5 years +) buy. Or I could just ignore those and get a bunch of other cheaper things on the list :)

Where are you seeing that EOSV2 sells raw vfnm for $120.00 less than CGC 9.8? Looking at eBay it looks like you can buy graded 9.8s for ~225.00 and raw advertised NM for 50.00-75.00. You are much better off buying 3 or 4 raw copies, especially now when prices are depressed due to the holidays, than you are buying a graded 9.8 copy.

23 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Where are you seeing that EOSV2 sells raw vfnm for $120.00 less than CGC 9.8? Looking at eBay it looks like you can buy graded 9.8s for ~225.00 and raw advertised NM for 50.00-75.00. You are much better off buying 3 or 4 raw copies, especially now when prices are depressed due to the holidays, than you are buying a graded 9.8 copy.

The cheapest EOSV2 high grade raw's I've seen is $99. It could be because I'm in the UK, and then there's shipping (usually $20-$40) on top of things. On balance out of those 2 I would probably prefer the 9.8 slabbed Runaways #1, but they are running at around $300, and it seems hard to find raw high grade copies of it.

It would help to know your collecting goals. But, without any further information, from your list, I would choose X-Men #129. You should be able to hunt down a slabbed 9.4 for less than $200. You can't really go wrong with X-Men from this era.

But why no Bats and why no Spidey on your list?? ???

Edited by adampasz

8 hours ago, adampasz said:

It would help to know your collecting goals. But, without any further information, from your list, I would choose X-Men #129. You should be able to hunt down a slabbed 9.4 for less than $200. You can't really go wrong with X-Men from this era.

But why no Bats and why no Spidey on your list?? ???

I bought a detective #89 in about a grade of 4 I think last year because I've always wanted an early detective, but it will be a long time until I can get anything like that again :) I like Batman but never really been into collecting it, even back in the day (late 80s/early 90s for me), same for Spiderman, and I'm not paying the crazy prices right now for the first appearance of Venom. I hear what you're saying in regards to X-men #129, it would be great to get a high grade of that, but I'm also after a half decent X-men #9, which appears to be hard to get hold of in a good grade.

If that list is your collecting goal: 

1. Take the list and look up auctions for each book.

2. Bid on the ones starting dirt cheap.

3. Win a book at less than BIN prices. It doesn't matter which book because you wanted it and you got the deal.

Go for books at an auction if you can.