• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern #1 (GL1) 1941

28 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

I saw a REALLY nice copy of GL1 on eBay last week, patiently watched the auction unfold over the week and stole it from the next highest bidder during the last 10 seconds of Sunday's auction.  I am now the proud owner of this puppy!  I know Showcase 22 is getting all the love these days (and I love SC22 too), but this bad boy is in a different league....    

s-l1600.jpg

Really nice looking copy (worship)

1 hour ago, CashMoney said:

I saw a REALLY nice copy of GL1 on eBay last week, patiently watched the auction unfold over the week and stole it from the next highest bidder during the last 10 seconds of Sunday's auction.  I am now the proud owner of this puppy!  I know Showcase 22 is getting all the love these days (and I love SC22 too), but this bad boy is in a different league....    

s-l1600.jpg

:golfclap:

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

ComicConnect also has just auctioned off a really nice 3.5 I think the grade was.

Thanks, everyone!  Gotham Kid, you would happen to know how much that 3.5 on ComicConnect fetched?  I am curious.  Much appreciated!  

1 hour ago, atomised said:
2 hours ago, CashMoney said:

Thanks, everyone!  Gotham Kid, you would happen to know how much that 3.5 on ComicConnect fetched?  I am curious.  Much appreciated!  

$5,200

Thanks for the info, Atomised!  Do you happen to have a link to or picture of that 3.5?  Many thanks!  

50 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

Thanks for the link, G-Kid!  That 3.5 copy was steal for only $5,200.  All the infirmities are located in the back of the book, along the spine, which for many folks, is only an afterthought!  

By the way, has anyone seen CGC's recent Facebook post that they've now graded 10,000 copies of Hulk 181, and counting?  There are at least 10,000 CGC-graded copies, and probably at least another 90,000 copies in the wild.  In contrast, there are approximately 100 CGC-graded copies of GL1, and probably not more than a few hundred existing in the aggregate.  Given what a decent Hulk 181 fetches these days, $5,200 is undeniably a steal  for that copy, especially since Green Lantern is neither a defunct nor esoteric character like... the Red Raven.    

5 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

By the way, has anyone seen CGC's recent Facebook post that they've now graded 10,000 copies of Hulk 181, and counting?  There are at least 10,000 CGC-graded copies, and probably at least another 90,000 copies in the wild.

Not so convinced the number is that high but a good 20-30K copies left in the wild, sure.

5 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

Given what a decent Hulk 181 fetches these days, $5,200 is undeniably a steal  for that copy

Agree

Sweet pickup!  Beautiful copy.  I have that cover on my "wall of favorite covers" :bigsmile:  I do believe that 3.5 was a great bargain as well. 

5a329ed580852_GL1.thumb.jpg.48216bd64a8876cb7d4bd3abc3d26674.jpg

10,000 IH 181's!  I've been keeping an eye on that.  I still want a nice WP 9.2 copy but I struggle with justifying it over the purchase of several lower grade GA Captain America books hm

8 hours ago, GoldCap said:

Sweet pickup!  Beautiful copy.  I have that cover on my "wall of favorite covers" :bigsmile:  I do believe that 3.5 was a great bargain as well. 

5a329ed580852_GL1.thumb.jpg.48216bd64a8876cb7d4bd3abc3d26674.jpg

10,000 IH 181's!  I've been keeping an eye on that.  I still want a nice WP 9.2 copy but I struggle with justifying it over the purchase of several lower grade GA Captain America books hm

Thanks for the compliments on my GL1!  Not sure whether there are 100,000 or 30,000 (as G-Kid estimates) Hulk 181's out in the wild, but the magnitude of the number already graded by CGC is staggering.  I'm with you...I would struggle to justify buying such a common book (even in a 9.2) over several lower graded GA Captain America books; but at the end of the day, the GA Captain Americas would prevail!              

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, CashMoney said:

s-l1600.jpg

Hearty congrat's - great copy of a GREAT book! 

20 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Hearty congrat's - great copy of a GREAT book! 

Thanks, Silver Centaur!  This was one of my more triumphant eBay experiences!  I have lost way too many eBay auctions at the last minute, for failure to press my bid just a little higher, because I thought I would be overpaying (but clearly, the market for each of those books was stronger than I anticipated).  This time, I pushed my bid during the last 10 seconds, because, frankly, I REALLY wanted this book.  There was another eBay auction for a GL1 CGC 7.0 just a month earlier, but I didn't bid on that particular copy (despite the cheap $12,000 final price), because I suspected it was a fraudulent listing (which I believe was confirmed, since promptly after that November auction ended - the history of such sale disappeared from eBay, as if it never existed - "poof").  The only other time I've seen the history of an ended auction similarly disappear in such fashion is when I won an auction for an Amazing Fantasy 15, only to find out after I had already tendered payment, that the character who sold it to me was a frequent fraudster on eBay.  Of course in that instance, I eventually got my money back - but only after I spent countless hours, over several consecutive days, on the phone with eBay's complaint line.  I will never again make the mistake of bidding on a high-priced book when the seller has insignificant positive feedback.      

In any case, many thanks for making me feel great about my purchase.  Cheers!   

Edited by CashMoney

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, CashMoney said:

By the way, has anyone seen CGC's recent Facebook post that they've now graded 10,000 copies of Hulk 181, and counting?  There are at least 10,000 CGC-graded copies, and probably at least another 90,000 copies in the wild.  In contrast, there are approximately 100 CGC-graded copies of GL1, and probably not more than a few hundred existing in the aggregate.  Given what a decent Hulk 181 fetches these days, $5,200 is undeniably a steal  for that copy, especially since Green Lantern is neither a defunct nor esoteric character like... the Red Raven.    

The owner of the 10,000th graded copy had his book in the grading section of the boards.  When he posted the results, CGC had put "10,000th graded copy" on his slab. 

12 hours ago, comicdonna said:

The owner of the 10,000th graded copy had his book in the grading section of the boards.  When he posted the results, CGC had put "10,000th graded copy" on his slab. 

That is one milestone that probably should've come and gone quietly.  So much fanfare, but when you peel away the layers of the onion, at the end of the day, all it highlights is that there are as many copies of Hulk #181 as there are grains of sand on a beach.  Though it is undeniably a common book, admittedly, it would be fun to own the 10,000th graded copy!