• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern #1 (GL1) 1941

28 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2017 at 12:42 AM, sacentaur said:

Hearty congrat's - great copy of a GREAT book! 

Silver Centaur, 1,000 apologies for not recognizing that I was being congratulated by someone who owned these:

That AA16 that you once owned is a BEAUTIFUL book.    How long did you own that, and what happened to it?  

On 12/29/2017 at 11:58 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Congrats, great book to own! I would have happily paid the price you did if I had the money at the time. Most of the buy it now copies on Ebay are simply waayyy over priced so the only choice is to honestly wait for copies to hit the auction block.

Thanks for making me feel great about my purchase!  I followed your advice and waited for another one to hit eBay, after seeing a GL1 CGC 7.0 copy on eBay back in April 2017.  Then in November 2017, that same copy came up for auction again on eBay, so I thought the auction might be fake and didn't bid (and my suspicions were confirmed when the auction history promptly disappeared after the auction).  Thereafter, I saw this copy, and made it mine.  The only problem with waiting for an eBay auction, is that the wait may take a year or two, and in the meantime, the book pulls a Wonder Woman #1-like move and takes off into the stratosphere.  You might have better luck finding one on one of the other auction sites...which protect buyers from the pitfalls of fake eBay auctions.  Indeed, if you scroll up, you'll see a link to a CGC 3.5 that was recently auctioned for a steal!  Good luck with your search!

4 hours ago, CashMoney said:

Thanks for making me feel great about my purchase!  I followed your advice and waited for another one to hit eBay, after seeing a GL1 CGC 7.0 copy on eBay back in April 2017.  Then in November 2017, that same copy came up for auction again on eBay, so I thought the auction might be fake and didn't bid (and my suspicions were confirmed when the auction history promptly disappeared after the auction).  Thereafter, I saw this copy, and made it mine.  The only problem with waiting for an eBay auction, is that the wait may take a year or two, and in the meantime, the book pulls a Wonder Woman #1-like move and takes off into the stratosphere.  You might have better luck finding one on one of the other auction sites...which protect buyers from the pitfalls of fake eBay auctions.  Indeed, if you scroll up, you'll see a link to a CGC 3.5 that was recently auctioned for a steal!  Good luck with your search!

Yeah there's actually a CGC 5.5 about to hit a Comicconnect auction so I'm going to follow that one. In regards to will this book pull a WW once the eventual movie comes out, definitely possible. So probably better to get a copy sooner than later for sure!

40 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah there's actually a CGC 5.5 about to hit a Comicconnect auction so I'm going to follow that one. In regards to will this book pull a WW once the eventual movie comes out, definitely possible. So probably better to get a copy sooner than later for sure!

Wouldn't count on it but always a good idea to get a GA key copy sooner than later (in most cases)

On 1/2/2018 at 1:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I definitely agree that buying it sooner rather than later is always a good idea when dealing with GA keys - especially given that GL1 is still affordable.  That's why I grabbed it.  Wish I had bought Wonder Woman #1 a few years back.  Good luck with the CGC 5.5 auction, should you decide to bid!

On 1/5/2018 at 5:19 PM, Spaceguy said:

Nice purchase!!!  A mere 16 graded higher and the best of those is 9.0    Someone else bid $16,000 so you weren't alone in your appreciation of this book.  Congrats!  What a cover!

Much appreciated!  My bid was actually a lot higher, because I saw the comic last sold this year for $16K, so I knew I had to bid at least that amount (and that's probably what the runner-up thought as well), and: (1) as you highlighted, there are only 16 copies graded higher; and (2) given the limited number of copies and the infrequency of such sales, I just had to man up.  It's a good thing that the bidding didn't heat up until the last 2 minutes of the auction -- because had the people who wanted it started bidding a few days or hours earlier, I probably would've ended paying a few thousand more for the book.  I love the cover of this comic, and the unrefined original Green Lantern....